It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

4 hours ago, Fundamentals said:

Woke this morning thinking about the numerous ways and unknowns that could lead to a rapid turnaround or short term chaos.   To wit:

Let’s say Archie stays

1. TJD gone

2. Race gone (Phinisee slip in postgame interview)

3. Other players transferring out?

4. Does Archie tap into the multiple players who could be on the move, and do they want to come here?

5. Same, JUCO options

6. And lastly, Archie remains, transfers add little, our roster is depleted, particularly for bigs, and IU limps to a worse record than this year, and Archie is gone, delaying the rebuild further, due to more roster turnover and the rare open transfer year not producing some new blood to the roster

Archie leaves

1. On hook for buyout until rehired

2. Risk of not getting new hire right

3. Established coaches won’t want rebuild that it will take to get back to “solid program” level

4. Several transfer, or, several wait to see who new hire is

5. Either way, our NCAA drought looks to continue for another few years beyond Archie. 

The best move for everyone is to make the change now before it becomes a considerable rebuild. Remove Archie, get the hire right, grab a kid or two from portal or new coach brings some with him, and we can bounce back quickly

16 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

This is a fair overview of reality ☝️

I'm not sure that reality resides in bullets 1, 2, and 3 under "If Archie stays" being , at best, guesses...not solid fact by any stretch at this point...

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'm not sure that reality resides in bullets 1, 2, and 3 under "If Archie stays" being , at best, guesses...not solid fact by any stretch at this point...

There isn’t too many things in this whole debate that’s solid facts. If we want to base it solely on that Archie really IS toast.

Chances he gets fired today or tomorrow, assuming we lose? Or does IU play out the first game in BTT?

I’m telling you the earlier he’s gone IF that’s what’s going to happen, the better. Any of our players planning on transferring and looking around might slow their search if they know there’s a chance IU could hire a new coach they’d enjoy playing for. If we wait till a player of ours is emotionally attached to their new school yet haven’t announced yet, chances are they won’t stay regardless.

11 minutes ago, JugRox said:

Since we're talking long shots with the IU guys, how about a name I believe I saw in that article...Micah Shrewsbury?

From Indianapolis, former Butler and Purdue assistant, then followed Stevens to the Celtics where he was an assistant for 6 years, and now is in his second stint as an assistant at Purdue. 

Honestly, it's a fairly impressive resume outside of the lack of head coaching experience. 

Not saying he's realistic or a way I would go, but if we're talking guys like Michael Lewis and Dane Fife. 

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Let's bring back Kelvin. He'd have us elite by year 2.  I'm only slightly kidding.

5e932f634763d.image.jpg

It will never happen, but to be honest he's probably one of the best guys out there that could potentially be available. 

...and he's an IU guy :coffee:

29 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

There isn’t too many things in this whole debate that’s solid facts. If we want to base it solely on that Archie really IS toast.

Your opinion and that's fine...I just think calling a post with that much conjecture in it "reality" is off base...

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

It will never happen, but to be honest he's probably one of the best guys out there that could potentially be available. 

...and he's an IU guy :coffee:

As a purely basketball-coaching decision, I would be behind it. Like him or not, he can coach and the product was more entertaining that recent offerings.

26 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Chances he gets fired today or tomorrow, assuming we lose? Or does IU play out the first game in BTT?

I’m telling you the earlier he’s gone IF that’s what’s going to happen, the better. Any of our players planning on transferring and looking around might slow their search if they know there’s a chance IU could hire a new coach they’d enjoy playing for. If we wait till a player of ours is emotionally attached to their new school yet haven’t announced yet, chances are they won’t stay regardless.

If you are in the locker room, I would assume you already know the answer to a lot of these questions.

3 hours ago, Feathery said:

Not given enough time?

How much time would you give a coach? How many years does he get until he must finish with a winning conference record? How many years does a coach get to install his system and get his players? How many years does it take to get old and stay old? 

I’m all for giving some slack to a new hire. But it’s been 4 years. No reason to go beyond that when he can’t even beat his rival ONE time. In year four his defense in conference is one of the worst. 

He hasn’t even had a kid he recruited graduate yet. 

36 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Since we're talking long shots with the IU guys, how about a name I believe I saw in that article...Micah Shrewsbury?

From Indianapolis, former Butler and Purdue assistant, then followed Stevens to the Celtics where he was an assistant for 6 years, and now is in his second stint as an assistant at Purdue. 

Honestly, it's a fairly impressive resume outside of the lack of head coaching experience. 

Not saying he's realistic or a way I would go, but if we're talking guys like Michael Lewis and Dane Fife. 

I thought of him too.  I think Stevens loves him. 

4 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Because 1 coach had a team competing for national championships and the competing to be the laughing stock of the conference 

Never heard any one with any sort of credibility call IU the laughingstock of the conference. In fact, in one of the recent games, a coach (anonymously) was quoted that”IU could beat any team in the conference.”

Really doesn’t matter if the end goal of a team was to win a championship or merely to make the tournament, if injuries played a factor in them attaining that goal, then they meant something.

If the top sign salesman in your company didn’t meet his sales goal due to the pandemic, and you as the #4 guy didn’t meet yours for the same reason, the bottom line is that neither of you met expectations, and both of you have a valid explanation why. Just because the #1 guy’s bar was set higher doesn’t mean your reason for missing the mark is any less valid than his.

So just looking around and trying to figure the importance of Armaan Franklin to this team...

Staring with the Stanford game, Armaan really started to break out as an important player for IU...Here are his numbers in the 7 games prior to his initial injury...

AFBI.PNG.603895ea506862079d69b6b19806f833.PNG

Here are his stats (I didn't include the Maryland game that he got injured in, because he only got 7 minutes and 2 points which would have dragged these figures down even more) post initial injury...

AFAI.PNG.2aeacf7f997e119b102d3ad39818fc41.PNG

So I think we can safely say that the injuries have affected his play...Even with this numbers he was our #2 scorer...

That said, what do these names have in common?

Isaiah Livers

Kofi Cockburn

Joe Wieskamp

Sasha Stefonovic

EJ Liddell

Micah Potter

Eric Ayala

Jacob Young

Joey Hauser

Anybody?

47 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Some expected him to be fired before today so hard to say when. If it were taking place at the more successful programs the last 20 to 40 years he would have already been fired kinda goes to show people our administrators have their tails between the legs 

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

It's a delicate balance. What big man grad transfer with any skills would look at a frontcourt of Race, TJD, and Brunk (for basically 2 spots) and think there's a lot of playing time there?

We had 2 kids like you're talking about, Forrester and Moore, transfer out because they didn't see any time available.

Go get a grad transfer that could push TJD to the 4 spot. He can play the Race role while the grad transfer plays as a Center. Forester and Moore transferred out young. They weren’t developed. I’m talking about a developed big, that’s athletic enough to start. Brunk isn’t athletic enough and gets picked on defensively. Race, is too small to play center. TJD wants to be a 4 anyway. We play Race who can’t shoot , so TJD as the 4 is an upgrade. Just needed to go get a guy who can start at the 5. If that makes Brunk mad, then so be it  

Not to beat a dead horse, but PG should have been the highest priority. I remember DD and Assembly Call all warning that Lander won’t be great year 1.  No PG has ever reclassified early and produced as a freshmen. They have all struggled in year 1. Rob isn’t the answer and Archie has either been unsuccessful or has tried to land an experienced PG. 

6 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Go get a grad transfer that could push TJD to the 4 spot. He can play the Race role while the grad transfer plays as a Center. Forester and Moore transferred out young. They weren’t developed. I’m talking about a developed big, that’s athletic enough to start. Brunk isn’t athletic enough and gets picked on defensively. Race, is too small to play center. TJD wants to be a 4 anyway. We play Race who can’t shoot , so TJD as the 4 is an upgrade. Just needed to go get a guy who can start at the 5. If that makes Brunk mad, then so be it  

Not to beat a dead horse, but PG should have been the highest priority. I remember DD and Assembly Call all warning that Lander won’t be great year 1.  No PG has ever reclassified early and produced as a freshmen. They have all struggled in year 1. Rob isn’t the answer and Archie has either been unsuccessful or has tried to land an experienced PG. 

I produced a link to a list of immediately eligible grad transfers in my answer to @IUCrazy2...Who would you have liked for IU to went after?

Repost of the link

21 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

He hasn’t even had a kid he recruited graduate yet. 

Actually he has. He recruited all the players on this team and I believe some have already graduated. Doesn’t matter if Al was originally a Crean recruit. Archie recruited him and Archie is the only one to be his head coach in college. 

4 minutes ago, Feathery said:

it’s like when we ended up without a viable PG after Yogi left. Everyone was beating that drum for three years after Yogi’s frosh season. Get his replacement in here and get him ready! Then the year after Yogi is gone we don’t have a PG and we’re supposed to say “Well you can’t expect Crean to win without a PG that’s good to run his offense.”

HE DIDN'T GO OUT AND GET A PG!!!

If this many years into a rebuild you don’t have certain key positions recruited well that’s 100% on YOU as the coach.

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I produced a link to a list of immediately eligible grad transfers in my answer to @IUCrazy2...Who would you have liked for IU to went after?

Bruner at Alabama

Liam Robbins at Minnesota

Matt Harms at BYU

All are better than Brunk and could either start at Center or would play good minutes. Great Robbins uncle got a promotion at Missesota. IU could have offered him a  role and more money as we had an opening on staff as well. That’s the recruiting game and it’s within the rules, so play the game. Instead we have to debate a coach that needs a half decade or more to have a winning conference record. 

3 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Would Kansas, UK, UNC or UCLA use the same criteria? Would they or any of our competitors in the B1G consider any of those names? I think we know the answer. While having an IU guy sounds nice, the coaching tree is spindly.

Well UNC has hired their own guys Guthridge, Daugherty, Williams

Just now, Feathery said:

Bruner at Alabama

Liam Robbins at Minnesota

Matt Harms at BYU

All are better than Brunk and could either start at Center or would play good minutes. Great Robbins uncle got a promotion at Missesota. IU could have offered him a  role and more money as we had an opening on staff as well. That’s the recruiting game and it’s within the rules, so play the game. Instead we have to debate a coach that needs a half decade or more to have a winning conference record. 

You really think that we would have brought Harms in? This board would have imploded.

Archived