It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

15 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

So what I'm gathering is that for all your buffing of your chest about how you hire and fire and know you need to act swiftly, is you're the guy who cannot look beyond a spreadsheet. Or at least you can't when it comes to basketball coaches. 

That's fine, but there is a lot more to talent evaluation than looking at a spreadsheet. The context of the situations are pretty damn important. 

But again, for the 100th time, this isn't about Archie vs Alford. Let's say Archie is the 50th best coach in the country - you don't move on from the 50th coach to hire the 45th coach if you can get a top 5 coach a year later. This should be really easy to understand. 

What makes you (or anyone for that matter) think we're getting a top 5 coach a year later? 

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

Whether Archie gets fired or not, there is a positive from this year.

The rest of the country is coming to Indiana, and even Assembly Hall, for the NCAA tourney and will show IU how to play basketball.

Assembly Hall is getting a make over this weekend 

18 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

So what I'm gathering is that for all your buffing of your chest about how you hire and fire and know you need to act swiftly, is you're the guy who cannot look beyond a spreadsheet. Or at least you can't when it comes to basketball coaches. 

That's fine, but there is a lot more to talent evaluation than looking at a spreadsheet. The context of the situations are pretty damn important. 

But again, for the 100th time, this isn't about Archie vs Alford. Let's say Archie is the 50th best coach in the country - you don't move on from the 50th coach to hire the 45th coach if you can get a top 5 coach a year later. This should be really easy to understand. 

But there is no guarantee you can get a top 5 the next year either

9 minutes ago, IUProfessor said:

They're both too old for the job given the state of the program. Pitino would be a bad fit for other reasons too.

Pitino just took Iona to the tourney in his first year. Beilein took Michigan to the NCAA tourney in his second year. They hadn't reached the tourney at all during Amaker's six seasons.

Why exactly are they "too old given the state of the program?"

I would say Beilein would be a great fit. He has a track record of quick improvement of teams he takes over. Did it at WVU and UM. And Pitino just showed age don't mean squat, taking Iona over.

The program needs a winner, and fast. 

Just now, ephul said:

Pitino just took Iona to the tourney in his first year. Beilein took Michigan to the NCAA tourney in his second year. They hadn't reached the tourney at all during Amaker's six seasons.

I would say Beilein would be a great fit. He has a track record of quick improvement of teams he takes over. Did it at WVU and UM. And Pitino just showed age don't mean squat, taking Iona over.

Wow, Archie sucks so breathtakingly bad.

4 minutes ago, ephul said:

This why I mentioned Coach K's age 75-76 years old. I mentioned my age 68 Age today is not the same as when I grew up.  We died younger Health care is different. If you can take the stress out at IU you could have either coach over 10 years here. Some may rather die than retire  from Coaching!

4 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

Ironic isn’t it....Ohio St vs Illinois for the BTT championship in Indy!

Holtman vs Underwood....who knew?

I knew. I couldn't believe we gave the keys to the kingdom to this clown and was crushed when I saw the tweet that he was hired.

9 minutes ago, Inequality said:

It’s really perplexing given the talent level on the IU roster. I’m watching Utah St play San Diego St. Either team would likely take IU to the woodshed if played tomorrow.

The most boring coach, offense, defense, Laverne and Shirley character, in history. 

35 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Lol. Nice conclusions. But keep on projecting whatever you want on me because you don’t agree with me. You don’t have to agree, but I do enjoy a good debate, so don’t take it personally. There was no chest puffing. Seems like your out of debate points and want to try and go personal. If so, maybe you should take a break. We are on the same side here. We both want IU to be better. 

The point is Archie is not a good coach and IU needs to act now (within the next couple weeks or summer for Stevens). That top 5 coach is available this year if he would be available next year. You go and get him. Will it cost more? Sure, but IU isn’t in a position to wait. The money is there. 

You also do the players a disservice and waste a year of their eligibility by keeping a subpar coach to lead them. They will lose a year of development from a better coach and when a new coach is brought in there is a deeper hole to dig out of. 

24 minutes ago, ephul said:

Beilein's age isn't disqualifying, but it is a negative. The bigger negative is how he is perceived in the world, I don't have a strong opinion as to whether it's deserved, but it will hurt his recruiting. And his recruiting wasn't amazing to begin with.

30 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

But there is no guarantee you can get a top 5 the next year either

I'm operating under the assumption that the rumors of Mack reaching out to us are true. In which case he becomes the new floor. I'm not sure if he's a huge upgrade, though he might be, but if we keep him as a backup plan, do our best to get one of the handful of guys that are clearly better, then I'm happy. The only reason to not go down that path is if Steven's people tell us that he is likely going to finish this year in Boston, but might be open to leaving next year - then waiting makes sense.

11 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i still don't think our talent level is all that good

These kids could all play before the arrived. I see a lot of talent and potential. Maybe missing a superior point guard and a 7’ center to be a final four team IMO but what’s there is talented. Potential superior point guard in the rough that wasn’t played a whole lot. I am in the leadership starts at the top camp and that being the missing link.

Still at work guys. Whose got drinks on ice? I’m gonna need some.

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It wasn't a point of view. He explained what Drew has been through at Baylor and then simply asserted it's as good of a job as Indiana. He offered zero in the way of evidence showing that. 

28 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Lol. Nice conclusions. But keep on projecting whatever you want on me because you don’t agree with me. You don’t have to agree, but I do enjoy a good debate, so don’t take it personally. There was no chest puffing. Seems like your out of debate points and want to try and go personal. If so, maybe you should take a break. We are on the same side here. We both want IU to be better. 

The point is Archie is not a good coach and IU needs to act now (within the next couple weeks or summer for Stevens). That top 5 coach is available this year if he would be available next year. You go and get him. Will it cost more? Sure, but IU isn’t in a position to wait. The money is there. 

You also do the players a disservice and waste a year of their eligibility by keeping a subpar coach to lead them. They will lose a year of development from a better coach and when a new coach is brought in there is a deeper hole to dig out of. 

I agree we are on the same side and I actually think we should make a change, but where I don't agree is you make a change regardless. If you don't get a good upgrade you wait a year. 

It's not at all a given that a coach that would say no this year would say no next year. There are several reasons someone's willingness to take this job may change in the next 365 days. 

Archived