It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

So I have this new Magic 8 ball app like the real one I had as a kid. I asked it if we would beat Purdue and it replied "My sources say No". So then I asked it if we would beat Rutgers and it said "Don't Count on it". Just now I asked it if Scott Dolson would fire Archie this year and it replied "Try again later". I think it's clear Archie gets another year.  

Seriously, with all the pros and cons I think the deciding factor may be Covid.  The odds of UK, Duke, Michigan State and all having their works seasons in years more than a coincidence and may save him for another year.  That's assuming he can't pull in a Brad Stevens or elite coach.

Either way I'm just hoping they allow fans in Assembly Hall next year, I'll be there when I can. There's nothing like the AH experience.

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, loviubb said:

68 is a good age😉 Turned that Last Dec. If Rick  wanted to behave and  and just coach IU  MBB? We could be back in no time. Isn't coach K 75- 76 yrs old. I do not think IU will but?

It is funny some say 68 is to old when Beilein is brought up but for Pitino it isn't 

Just now, IndyFife said:

I know 100% the big donors aren’t happy.  100% - and it ain’t from Doyle’s tweets.

Then there is only one answer. Silence the negative nellies and pull the impossible rabbit out of the hat. Srad Btevens or bust. YOLO! Put IU back on the map for the remainder of our lifetime.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It is funny some say 68 is to old when Beilein is brought up but for Pitino it isn't 

Beilein is a system coach.  Pitino is a lot like Sampson and I know you can interpret that many ways but both could take almost any hodge podge roster and win 20-25 games in their sleep.

49 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Yeah if we going to compromise on character we can do a lot better than Alford.  

If character didn’t matter Rick Pitino would be your next coach. Probably the best coach in college basketball. Then a short list of guys like Pearl and others. Alford would be way down that list.

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I've actually not said at all that I want to keep Archie for fear of the unknown. I would actually expect most, if not all, of the things I've laid out as unknowns to us to be very known to Scott Dolson before he makes a decision. If they aren't, he has failed at his job. 

All I'm pointing out is that there are a lot of things we don't know and depending on the intel Dolson gets on those things it could make more sense to keep Archie than to get rid of him. You seem to be of the mind that we should move on from Archie no matter what, no matter who we can get, and I think that could really screw the program. We have to get our next hire right, but that next hire doesn't have to be this year. 

I’ll use Alford as an example again. He is better than Archie, we can disagree but the results speak for themselves. He would be the worst case scenario for IU and it’s an upgrade. So yes I am for moving on from Archie knowing worst case scenario we hire a guy who is arrogant but took another blue blood to multiple sweet 16’s and made the dance 4/5 years. That’s a significant jump from where Archie is. Archie is that bad, we must move on. 

The search starts with Stevens though. You keep pushing in Stevens until you can’t offer anymore from a total package perspective. Then start going down the list. All of whom will be upgrades because they will have proven it at a power 5 level already. 

1 hour ago, WokeHoosier said:

I think a lot of people are setting themselves up for a letdown if they think anyone other than CAM will be on the bench next season. 

I won’t be letdown, I just won’t prioritize watching the games. I’ll keep tabs on how they are doing but won’t tell the wife not to make plans bc I’m watching the IU game. Just move on from IU basketball, because the university will clearly have moved on from wanting to win. 

3 minutes ago, Feathery said:

I’ll use Alford as an example again. He is better than Archie, we can disagree but the results speak for themselves. He would be the worst case scenario for IU and it’s an upgrade. So yes I am for moving on from Archie knowing worst case scenario we hire a guy who is arrogant but took another blue blood to multiple sweet 16’s and made the dance 4/5 years. That’s a significant jump from where Archie is. Archie is that bad, we must move on. 

The search starts with Stevens though. You keep pushing in Stevens until you can’t offer anymore from a total package perspective. Then start going down the list. All of whom will be upgrades because they will have proven it at a power 5 level already. 

And I'll again say I don't agree at all that Alford is a better coach than Archie. That's not the point though. 

The point is if the best you can get is a slight upgrade from Archie but you could get a home run by waiting a year, you wait. We don't need a coach that will make us better than Archie could next year, we need our next hire to be a home run hire to get the program back on track. 

4 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

And I'll again say I don't agree at all that Alford is a better coach than Archie. That's not the point though. 

The point is if the best you can get is a slight upgrade from Archie but you could get a home run by waiting a year, you wait. We don't need a coach that will make us better than Archie could next year, we need our next hire to be a home run hire to get the program back on track. 

If there is a problem, you don’t sit on your hands. You actively make changes to fix the situation. Keeping Archie doesn’t help the program or Archie for that matter. Again, we will disagree but nothing save for going 1 game further in one appearance in the tournament does Archie have a better resume than Alford. Hope I’m proven wrong, but Archie isn’t even a top 25 coach IMO. 

There are home runs out there this year. Go get one of them. 

25 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

They are wealthy by definition. And typically wealthy people don’t get wealthy by throwing money in a dumpster fire.  

Agree with this. I brought this up a few weeks ago. There are maybe 7-8 people who can move that needle.

And while we are all on the subject. It's Doyel....and he literally has zero contacts inside of Bloomington. None. His best contact might be someone who knows a guy who knows a guy. 

1 hour ago, Feathery said:

If there is a problem, you don’t sit on your hands. You actively make changes to fix the situation. Keeping Archie doesn’t help the program or Archie for that matter. Again, we will disagree but nothing save for going 1 game further in one appearance in the tournament does Archie have a better resume than Alford. Hope I’m proven wrong, but Archie isn’t even a top 25 coach IMO. 

There are home runs out there this year. Go get one of them. 

So what I'm gathering is that for all your puffing of your chest about how you hire and fire and know you need to act swiftly, is you're the guy who cannot look beyond a spreadsheet. Or at least you can't when it comes to basketball coaches. 

That's fine, but there is a lot more to talent evaluation than looking at a spreadsheet. The context of the situations are pretty damn important. 

But again, for the 100th time, this isn't about Archie vs Alford. Let's say Archie is the 50th best coach in the country - you don't move on from the 50th coach to hire the 45th coach if you can get a top 5 coach a year later. This should be really easy to understand. 

I'm not going to scroll through 256 pages of this thread, but.

Through 6 coaches (that includes the last few years of CRMK) we have not returned to prominence. But by in large, we've had the same type fan base and university admin. But I am sure those coaches just were just not home run coaches. The odds increase with the 7th because even a blind squirrel... you know, the thing.  

10 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Rick Pitino the first coach to take 5 different schools to the tournement.

My math always gets fuzzy. Does that mean he was fired 4 or 6 times in order to take that many different teams to tourney?

PS....at this point. Sure. Give me Pitino. I'm back in my mood of I don't care. It's a small window. Usually lasts about 48 hours a spring. Or of course IU could actually step up and say you aren't saying no to us Brad. 8 years $100M. Lakehouse at Monroe compliments of us, private jet, helicopter....whatever you need to do your operation. 

40 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Indiana basketball is just cursed. Underwood and Holtman playing for BTT title and Kelvin Sampson playing for AAC title. We need to throw a virgin goat in a volcano or something 

Crean actually had a better season this year than Archie did.

Archived