It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

33 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well right or wrong or like it or not this is the perception of IU basketball outside the state of Indiana

No. It's the perception of one writer. 

There have been much more prominent national voiced who say the opposite. 

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Indy1987 said:

Haven't lived in Indiana in over 25 years.  Everywhere I go wearing my IU gear people ask me about IU basketball.   Not about IU academics, football, soccer or swimming.  Just about IU Basketball.  We may not have lived up to expectations but people out of state expect us to be title contenders outside of Indiana.

Go Hoosiers!!!

I am not saying people don't know IU basketball but it is more on the past than the present.  What I am saying that perception on the job and the candidates we can get is different nationally than our fans.

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

No. It's the perception of one writer. 

There have been much more prominent national voiced who say the opposite. 

It is just not this one writer but I will bail out since everyone else knows everything.  I get it that we are proud IU fans and don't want to see the reality to where IU basketball is right now.  Not saying it will always be there and can't get back to where we want it but it is not there right now.

In my opinion here's the deal. 

The Basketball program  made Bloomington what it is today.  It brought prestige to the school.

RMK being hired in 1971 turned our program into a National powerhouse. And the University to prominence.

Without 30 years of basketball success Bloomington is just another Bedford.  

The basketball program is failing and the University is following the same trajectory.  

2 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

In my opinion here's the deal. 

The Basketball program  made Bloomington what it is today.  It brought prestige to the school.

RMK being hired in 1971 turned our program into a National powerhouse. And the University to prominence.

Without 30 years of basketball success Bloomington is just another Bedford.  

The basketball program is failing and the University is following the same trajectory.  

I'm gonna disagree there. 

Without the basketball success it's still a very good university with lots of things to hang it's hat on aside from basketball. Bloomington isn't such a special place and IUB isn't such a special campus because of basketball. Not even close IMO. 

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am not saying people don't know IU basketball but it is more on the past than the present.  What I am saying that perception on the job and the candidates we can get is different nationally than our fans.

I live in Iowa and most think IU as a has been.  They tell me to quit living in RMK days.  

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I'm gonna disagree there. 

Without the basketball success it's still a very good university with lots of things to hang it's hat on aside from basketball. Bloomington isn't such a special place and IUB isn't such a special campus because of basketball. Not even close IMO. 

I'm not saying it isn't a great place to go, applied and got accepted myself but was too $$$ for me. 

What I'm saying is without a national presence because of IUBB success back then, who would have known anything about IU outside of the midwest. 

IUBB made the University relevant nationally and gave it a Brand.  

1 minute ago, BDB said:

I live in Iowa and most think IU as a has been.  They tell me to quit living in RMK days.  

I think 300 other fan bases would say the same thing. It's very convenient of them. I'm sure Miami-FL fans tell Florida St. fans all the time to quit living in the Bobby Bowden days. USC fans tell UCLA fans to quit living in the John Wooden days. Iowa fans telling Nebraska fans to quit living in the Tom Osbourne days. I'm sure LSU fans were all over Alabama to quit living in the Bear Bryant days before Saban got there. I'm shocked that another fan base wants to keep Indiana basketball at the bottom of the Big 10.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

If you look at ratings he didn't get time recruits

So the guys that put the stars next to the names evaluate talent better than great coaches? Beilein puts a system in place and recruits to that system. It's why his programs have always been great, just like Purdue, Villanova, Virginia, etc. 

40 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

We have sucked royally.  Nobody doubts that.  The question is: do you act like a #%^% and take it or do you stand up and fight.  We have every piece of DNA to do something about it, but will we?!

1 hour ago, WanamakerIUFan said:

100% yes. Indiana shows life & we can't get enough "THEY ARE BACK STORIES!" Remember these? Indiana gets good and we see this pop up

Cody Zeller on Twitter | Sports illustrated, Sports, College basketball

Whose Kids Posed With Oladipo on Sports Illustrated Cover? - Indianapolis  Monthly | Victor oladipo, Sports illustrated covers, Hoosiers basketball

Indiana shows life & we can't stay off Sports Illustrated. Make no mistake. Indiana basketball is a huge deal.

giphy.gif

1 hour ago, 3Ballin said:

We taking a trip to a Purdur sorority house??? 🤔🤔

Well, he said goat, not Cow, so Purdue doesn't really apply here.  He also said virgin, ..........so there's that.  But maybe you were referring to the giant hole that is a volcano, and that's why you thought of a Purdue sorority.  In that case, right on man!!!

14 hours ago, WanamakerIUFan said:

Agree with @IndyFife 100% here. A few weeks ago I was talking to an AD of a non-Power 5 school out west and we talked about Indiana a bit as he knows I'm alumni and a big fan. He had an interesting take on it and since he knows I'm in behavior analysis and sports performance, he asked me why didn't IU's fanbase embrace "the villain" role more openly when it came to college basketball.  Basically said his perception was that Knight was a HUGE VILLAIN and that the IU fan base loved him. Players loved him & opposing fan bases hated him. Thought IU was a sleeping monster and that they should embrace being the EVIL EMPIRE of college basketball and go that route. 

Admittedly I've thought about this route a lot for Indiana, but it dovetails with the perception argument. The perception of Indiana outside of Indiana is that it's a huge deal. The perception is also that Indiana isn't liked very much except for Indiana fans. I've had more than a few sources comment to me about how much they think the media narrative just hates Indiana.

That said, I've had a couple of ADs tell me they simply can't understand what the admin is doing in Bloomington so there's that too. The perception of Indiana in my travels/talks/sources/profession think Indiana is a huge deal. They also can't quite understand why we can't figure it out.

Paging Rick Pitino, Paging Rick Pitino!!!

Archived