Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

I  have a question?

I see where people say the administration wants to devalue the basketball program.

I see people saying the BOT runs everything and the president runs everything (Buckner)

My question is why would Buckner want to devalue the basketball program that he helped built. Yes he made a huge mistake of hiring Woodson but it wasn't due to him wanting to devalue basketball.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I  have a question?

I see where people say the administration wants to devalue the basketball program.

I see people saying the BOT runs everything and the president runs everything (Buckner)

My question is why would Buckner want to devalue the basketball program that he helped built. Yes he made a huge mistake of hiring Woodson but it wasn't due to him wanting to devalue basketball.

I think that’s mostly just some people’s way of venting.  I certainly agree that we’ve had people in the administration who have not made good decisions, but to claim they don’t care about winning or want to devalue any of our programs is pretty ridiculous.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Sorry for the tangent, but that was my exact assessment of the Archie hire. All the Billy Donovan noise was because we swung for him and when he said no the up and coming mid major guy who wouldn’t say no was plan B. 

Yeah… seems like we don’t want to get told more than once.

Not saying that’s always the wrong approach, but whenever the next time we make a hire is, I’d like us to find the right Tier 1 choice, even if we have to figure out who has the warts we can best live with from that group. 

• Like 1

I’ve tried to catch up on 7 pages of post.

One thing I hope I’m not hearing from ANYONE who calls them self a fan of IU, is that if we land another Crean caliber success of a coach we should learn to be ok with it.

My gosh people we have what it takes to win at any level anyone else can.

I always compare us to the Badgers because I love north of Madison but cripes we have a 100 better selling points for college basketball coaches and recruits than MADISON.

You look at the Badger’s success over the past 15-20 years, we should be several steps better than them AT LEAST…CONSISTENTLY.

If you don’t believe that idk what to tell you. Wake up fans and demand more. Fricken fans should be protesting and going bonkers on campus right now and every booster should be calling and demanding change.

And open up the pocket book and spend with a blank check! FIX OUR PROUD PROGRAM OR FIND A NEW AD AND PRESIDENT!!

(Breathing…sigh…breathing)

• Like 7

1 hour ago, IUJoe said:

I think that’s mostly just some people’s way of venting.  I certainly agree that we’ve had people in the administration who have not made good decisions, but to claim they don’t care about winning or want to devalue any of our programs is pretty ridiculous.

The administration has hired back to back amateurs and tasked them with running a big time athletic department, something neither had ever done in their lives. How serious can you be about something when you hire unqualified people to the highest levels of leadership? Would Glass or Dolson sniff another AD job at a P5 conference?? No, they wouldn’t even get an interview.

Edited by IndyResident16
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

The administration has hired back to back amateurs and tasked them with running a big time athletic department, something neither had ever done in their lives. How serious can you be about something when you hire unqualified people to the highest levels of leadership? Would Glass or Dolson sniff another AD job at a P5 conference?? No, they wouldn’t even get an interview.

The fact that you don't agree with their decisions doesn't make them amateurs or unqualified.  Plenty of universities, including Notre Dame, have hired ADs without any previous AD experience.  All of them, including Glass and Dolson, were certainly more qualified than anybody spending 18 hours a day on message boards criticizing them. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

The fact that you don't agree with their decisions doesn't make them amateurs or unqualified.  Plenty of universities, including Notre Dame, have hired ADs without any previous AD experience.  All of them, including Glass and Dolson, were certainly more qualified than anybody spending 18 hours a day on message boards criticizing them. 

What on Earth were Fred Glass’ qualifications prior to being named AD?

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

We have a little thing called "innocent until proven guilty."  Beard was not found guilty.  I don't think anyone here would like to be denied a job if you were simply charged with something.  

I'm charging you with the 21st century crime of thinking rationally.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

I doubt they're making their decisions in a bubble. I would imagine they have some sort of advisement before they make a final decision.  

27 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

We are close to the same page. I wouldnt hire you or me either. But I finding fing comical that you are putting down posters while posting.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, IUJoe said:

Agree

At the time of the hires both Crean and Miller was considered a very good hire.  Just because it didn't work out doesn't mean the hire was bad at the time if the hire.

2 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

We have a little thing called "innocent until proven guilty."  Beard was not found guilty.  I don't think anyone here would like to be denied a job if you were simply charged with something.  

Just remember OJ was found not guilty 

14 minutes ago, IndyResident16 said:

The fact that our two revenue-generating sports have been completely run into the ground the last 15 years. Umm hello?

You deflected from the question.

I don’t care about what your opinion is.

What makes you the expert to judge professional people on their decisions?

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

You deflected from the question.

I don’t care about what your opinion is.

What makes you the expert to judge professional people on their decisions?

Because quality athletic departments aren’t run by amateurs. Indiana is the worst P5 football program in the history of the sport. And while that isn’t new to Glass and now Dolson’s tenure, the facilities are bottom of the barrel compared to our B10 peers. And while it’s one thing to neglect football for the sake of being a “basketball school”, Indiana can no longer say that. IU has reached the tournament 6 times since 2008 (the time of Glass hire) and on the verge missing out once again with a losing record to boot. All while real “basketball schools” like Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, and North Carolina all had football teams with winning records this year. 

You don’t need to be an expert to realize what kind of ineptness plagues the athletic department. The results speak for themselves.

Edited by IndyResident16
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, IndyResident16 said:

Because quality athletic departments aren’t run by amateurs. Indiana is the worst P5 football program in the history of the sport. And while that isn’t new to Glass and now Dolson’s tenure, the facilities are bottom of the barrel compared to our B10 peers. And while it’s one thing to neglect football at the sake of being a “basketball school”, Indiana can no longer say that. IU has reached the tournament 5 times since 2008 (the time of Glass hire) and on the verge missing out once again with a losing record to boot. All while real “basketball schools” like Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, and North Carolina all had football teams with winning records this year. 

You don’t need to be an expert to realize what kind of ineptness plagues the athletic department. The results speak for themselves.

These are all your opinions.

You have no facts to back up what you are claiming.

Your posts are based on an agenda that doesn’t support the facts.

Keep trying though. 

And for the mods who agree that I am disrespectful, or a bully…

Provide some facts that we are the worst P5 run university.

Otherwise, state that your blather is nothing more than your opinion.

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Keep trying though. 

6 tournaments since 2008 is a fact, not an opinion. For a supposed basketball school, that’s horrid.

Indiana’s 71-110 record in football since 2008 is a fact, not an opinion. It’s the worst record of any B10 team who has been a full-time member at the time of Glass’ hiring.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Keep trying though. 

He stated some hard facts. It’s OK to admit we’ve sucked for the better part of 2-1/2 decades. 

Edited by Hoosier987
  • Like 2