Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

On 2/10/2024 at 11:03 AM, IUFLA said:

And yet, he was able to do in his first year what his predecessors, both long time college coaches, hadn't done in the last 6 by making the tournament, and his second year was able to beat Purdue twice, something those experienced college coaches hadn't done in their last 9 attempts, guide us to our highest Big 10 finish since 2016, and secure our highest NCAA tournament seed since 2011-12...

Those are the facts...

People are entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts...

Trace Jackson Davis spanked Purdue. Jalen along side was icing on the cake.

4 minutes ago, Threedom said:

The whole discussion about the fan base being the problem for IU just drives me crazy.  It hasnt  missed a shot or made a turnover ever.  I think the fan base is the one thing that has been good the last 20 years.  Without it, we are DePaul right now. 

The fan base excuse has always been ridiculous. Plenty of other big ten teams like Maryland under Turgeon, Purdue with Painter, Illinois with Underwood, Wisconsin with Ryan and Gard, even Iowa with Fran are able to make the tourney on a year to year basis. There’s no reason IU shouldn’t be able to do the same.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

I was responding to a comment that said our guys didn't. 

Player development under Woody has been at least solid. Probably good.

Bigs have developed, but guard development has been bad imo. Gunn and Banks have shown little improvement. XJ has got worse each year, though injuries probably played a part there. Bates improved a little his sophomore year, but he really blew up after leaving IU. Galloway and Kopp are really the only two guards or wings who I’d say meaningfully improved the last 3 years.

• Like 1

Just now, Kdug said:

Bigs have developed, but guard development has been bad imo. Gunn and Banks have shown little improvement. XJ has got worse each year, though injuries probably played a part there. Bates improved a little his sophomore year, but he really blew up after leaving IU. Galloway and Kopp are really the only two guards or wings who I’d say meaningfully improved the last 3 years.

Banks definitely has not, I agree. I don't see how you can say the same about Gunn. He's still not a power 5 player, but he looks like a guy who will get there. Even by your accounting, though, that strikes me as pretty average improvement. Especially considering JHS improved a lot - and I would say Galloway improved even more.

22 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

I was responding to a comment that said our guys didn't. 

Player development under Woody has been at least solid. Probably good.

yeah.  i guess i am not ready to give him that much credit.  have most improved at least some?  i think so.  i hope so.  am i saying he has had absolutely no part in that?  of course not.  still not convinced he did much for JHS.  X's injury did more for JHS than anything.  TJD got better every year, but never developed any range.  he was about what i would have expected his final season.  Galloway has gotten more minutes and a bigger leash the last two seasons.  Reneau looked like he could have pretty much done what he is doing last year if he had the same minutes and no TJD in front of him.  

Just now, HoosierDom said:

Banks definitely has not, I agree. I don't see how you can say the same about Gunn. He's still not a power 5 player, but he looks like a guy who will get there. Even by your accounting, though, that strikes me as pretty average improvement. Especially considering JHS improved a lot - and I would say Galloway improved even more.

Idk, Gunn is still borderline unplayable most of the time. I guess he’s better, but to me going from unplayable to borderline unplayable doesn’t count as developing a player. I also don’t agree that JHS improved a lot, he was just really good from the get go. To me I look at development as substantially improving enough to change a players role. I.e. benchwarmer to rotation player, rotation player to starter, starter to all big ten, etc. From a guard perspective, only Galloway fits that mold imo.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Trilly also said he believes Woodson could choose retirement rather than dealing with the backlash. Big money boosters could also start applying pressure because of May possibly deciding to take another big job this offseason. 

so...i'd reluctantly take May over Woodson next year, but seems like we'd be running the risk of another Archie Miller.  i get that Beard and Pearl don't seem to fit the squeaky clean preference of our admin, but i'm holding out hope i guess.  if not one of them, is there no realistic candidate that has been a proven winner for a power 5 program?  pretty important that the next hire is the right guy.  back to the other topic - does it seem very likely that if we end 16-16 that Woodson will be frustrated enough and hearing enough from the fans that he'd really consider retiring?  you're getting my hopes up.  i'm assuming he'll give it one more year and it will be miserable and then he'll be done?

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Trilly also said he believes Woodson could choose retirement rather than dealing with the backlash. Big money boosters could also start applying pressure because of May possibly deciding to take another big job this offseason. 

Yeah, I could definitely see this being a scenario. Retire and save face.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

so...i'd reluctantly take May over Woodson next year, but seems like we'd be running the risk of another Archie Miller.  i get that Beard and Pearl don't seem to fit the squeaky clean preference of our admin, but i'm holding out hope i guess.  if not one of them, is there no realistic candidate that has been a proven winner for a power 5 program?  pretty important that the next hire is the right guy.  back to the other topic - does it seem very likely that if we end 16-16 that Woodson will be frustrated enough and hearing enough from the fans that he'd really consider retiring?  you're getting my hopes up.  i'm assuming he'll give it one more year and it will be miserable and then he'll be done?

There’s major differences between May and Archie 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I do know that one major donor that previously fit the "squeaky clean" preference has become extremely frustrated over the past decade and is willing to look past a few things now

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

There’s major differences between May and Archie 

what makes it a safer hire?  i mean that sincerely because if i'm being honest, i was pretty excited about Archie.  i don't really see why we would have known he wouldn't work out.  i like the idea of May as well.  i'm just asking you and others to make me feel better if he is the successor.  what's the difference going in?  

Just now, NCHoosier32 said:

what makes it a safer hire?  i mean that sincerely because if i'm being honest, i was pretty excited about Archie.  i don't really see why we would have known he wouldn't work out.  i like the idea of May as well.  i'm just asking you and others to make me feel better if he is the successor.  what's the difference going in?  

For starters the situations that the two are coming from. Everyone wins at Dayton. FAU is a significantly harder situation historically. Also his X’s and O’s are much better than Archie’s. May has also been mentioned by some as the next possible face of college coaches. Archie was never mentioned at that level by anyone. 

• Like 1