Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

4 minutes ago, Inequality said:

I like Dusty May. If he can build FAU into a competitive and respectful program then he should do well with the IU brand and resources.

That said, if a more instantaneous approach is the goal, a coach like Pearl is the easy choice. His age is a concern for me though.

With the transfer portal, a good staff can build a roster fairly quick.

I agree. The safest bet is Pearl the better longterm upside is May. Agree 100%.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

I know I'm legendary for my sarcastic comments, but this actually isn't one of them.  What if she's kinky and into that? Not exactly something you're going to admit to in a police report. 

I actually think you would, if you are trying to clear the good name of your significant other after he was "falsely" arrested for domestic violence.

If this incident was, say, 10 years old and he'd been clean as a whistle since then, maybe the calculus would be different. But this is all way too fresh to risk taking a chance on it. Especially when other equally -- and, perhaps, more -- qualified options are out there.

And yes, I know some will think that's unfair, but life's unfair sometimes. I really think some of you would be singing a different tune if this had been your daughter/sister/etc.

Edited by IUProfessor
  • Like 1

i would be thrilled with Beard, Pearl, Shrewsberry, or May over Woodson.  i'm assuming Oates isn't realistic, but him too.  i'd love to get any of them next season.  i'd go in that order only because of Beard's age compared to Pearl.  i'm not even a little concerned about Beard.  that said, if people are truly in the know and know he'd never be hired, fine.  if neither of them, i'm still just a little nervous about May because i still say you never know how someone does with the transition to the big stage.  still admit i thought Archie would be great.  others have assured me it is not the same, so i'd be optimistic.  from what i hear i think i might be more confident in Shrews being successful.  definitely put Beard and Pearl on a different level though.  

• Like 5

If IU is considering Dusty May, they should seriously look at Amir Abdur-Rahim. What he’s done at U of S FL and previously Kennesaw St is remarkable. Has some recruiting chops in the south, as well. No more of a gamble than May. He will land at a big time program. 

https://gousfbulls.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/amir-abdur-rahim/4932

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/coaches/amir-abdur-rahim-1.html

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i would be thrilled with Beard, Pearl, Shrewsberry, or May over Woodson.  i'm assuming Oates isn't realistic, but him too.  i'd love to get any of them next season.  i'd go in that order only because of Beard's age compared to Pearl.  i'm not even a little concerned about Beard.  that said, if people are truly in the know and know he'd never be hired, fine.  if neither of them, i'm still just a little nervous about May because i still say you never know how someone does with the transition to the big stage.  still admit i thought Archie would be great.  others have assured me it is not the same, so i'd be optimistic.  from what i hear i think i might be more confident in Shrews being successful.  definitely put Beard and Pearl on a different level though.  

Exact same.  Though the way Oats handled a murder in his program along with accomplice, I'd say I don't care for him.  He's probably better off in the sec.  

2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

If IU is considering Dusty May, they should seriously look at Amir Abdur-Rahim. What he’s done at U of S FL and previously Kennesaw St is remarkable. Has some recruiting chops in the south, as well. No more of a gamble than May. He will land at a big time program. 

https://gousfbulls.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/coaches/amir-abdur-rahim/4932

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/coaches/amir-abdur-rahim-1.html

hmm.  no thanks  

39 minutes ago, DunkinDipo said:

I didn't know it was guilty until proven innocent in our justice system. Are you saying Ole Miss is a terribly unethical university for hiring him? I'm sure they did their due diligence and had their own investigation. 

This ain’t the justice system

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

What has he done wrong that is so offensive? That very same evening, his ex-fiancee was already dropping the charges, saying that she had culpability in the incident as well. The DA even said there was a lack of evidence. 

The two of them are no longer together, and he doesn't have a track record of abuse or issues with alcohol. 

By the facts that are known, it was a really bad argument between a couple that got a little out of hand. 

Or did I miss another story somewhere?

I don't think you missed anything, and I think the people arguing against him are trying to hold him to false standard. Obviously Coach Knight did things a lot worse, stuffing opposing fans into trash cans, getting into arguments with Puerto Rican officers.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

For my own sake I’d love to hear what you’ve heard that makes May different. I’m fine with May but Miller is in the back of my mind because there were good reasons to believe he’d pan out. I was on the Archie train but NEVER was the Crean. I was shouting from the roof tops what Crean wouod ultimately become and he did just that.

20 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Agree. My thing with May is, I'm more interested in how he would do next year when some of his core is maybe gone as opposed to what he's doing this year with the same core. 

Of course what he's done at FAU is overall incredibly impressive. But, can he lose some of that core he's had success with for 2 years and still sustain success?

Not saying he needs to get to the Final Four or anything, but can he still be a tournament team, etc., and compete for his conference?

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree. My thing with May is, I'm more interested in how he would do next year when some of his core is maybe gone as opposed to what he's doing this year with the same core. 

Of course what he's done at FAU is overall incredibly impressive. But, can he lose some of that core he's had success with for 2 years and still sustain success?

Not saying he needs to get to the Final Four or anything, but can he still be a tournament team, etc., and compete for his conference?

I agree but at the same time we could hire a Pearl and miss out on him.

OR

we hire Pearl give him more time to prove himself and hope he’s still available when Pearl retires. I mean dang that would be ideal 😅

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

For my own sake I’d love to hear what you’ve heard that makes May different. I’m fine with May but Miller is in the back of my mind because there were good reasons to believe he’d pan out. I was on the Archie train but NEVER was the Crean. I was shouting from the roof tops what Crean wouod ultimately become and he did just that.

i think it was mainly @DC2345 reassuring me in another thread.  pretty sure another poster or two chimed in. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DC2345 said:

It’s not ridiculous. He shouldn’t be a candidate 

IF a slam dunk like Pearl is agreed upon and in the bag would they let go of Woodson immediately after season and do an interim so that all the players know with certainty that a change is coming?

2 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

IF a slam dunk like Pearl is agreed upon and in the bag would they let go of Woodson immediately after season and do an interim so that all the players know with certainty that a change is coming?

I’m finding it hard to believe that Pearl is seriously being considered. They could have had him three years ago. Why was Woodson hired? What has changed with the decision makers? Hiring Woodson only made it more difficult to replace him. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Woodson would be out when the season ends and the new coach would be announced asap

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I’m finding it hard to believe that Pearl is seriously being considered. They could have had him three years ago. Why was Woodson hired? What has changed with the decision makers? Hiring Woodson only made it more difficult to replace him. 

They thought they had Stevens in the bag last time.  Weeks of discussions occurred.  When the deal fell through they panicked and it gave Quinn the perfect opportunity to slide in his guy.  Archie gets one more year if not for Stevens.  They were caught off guard.

Edited by dbmhoosier
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

FAU was nothing before May. He built it from ground up to a respectable team with a great outlook for the program as it stands now. They had only been to the NCAAT once (2002) before Mays arrival.

There is a reason he is in the Ohio St conversation. At only 47 years old, landing at the right spot could set him up for long term success at the highest level.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

They thought they had Stevens in the bag last time.  Weeks of discussions occurred.  When the deal fell threw they panicked and it gave Quinn the perfect opportunity to slide in his guy.  Archie gets one more year if not for Stevens.  They were caught off guard.

Rookie AD

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Inequality said:

FAU was nothing before May. He built it from ground up to a respectable team with a great outlook for the program as it stands now. They had only been to the NCAAT once (2002) before Mays arrival.

There is a reason he is in the Ohio St conversation. At only 47 years old, landing at the right spot could set him up for long term success at the highest level.

No question, but his FF team won’t win its conference this year with primarily the same players. They are an entertaining team to watch, but they play matador defense. Will his wide open offensive style play in the B1G?

Underwood brought his system to IL and it was a disaster. He would have been fired if he didn’t completely adjust. Would May be able to do the same and be successful?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

No question, but his FF team won’t win its conference this year with primarily the same players. They are an entertaining team to watch, but they play matador defense. Will his wide open offensive style play in the B1G?

Underwood brought his system to IL and it was a disaster. He would have been fired if he didn’t completely adjust. Would May be able to do the same and be successful?

Yeah I notice some of the same things as you when watching them. It hasn’t happened yet but it seems like the type of players that IU could get with the historic brand as lofty NIL could really catapult a coach that already gets more with less. Maybe not.

A family member went to school with him. Grew up with him and says unless he has changed a ton, Dusty was always highly intelligent, driven and full of fire. And to not let his short stature and public demeanor trick you.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Inequality said:

We screwed Wisconsin for RMK, let’s not let someone screw us for a great coach.

NOT saying May is RMK. Not even saying he’s a sure fire slam dunk. But dang it all I really don’t want to miss out on someone cuz we came late to the party.

If May turns out to be the real deal his destiny needs to be at IU lol

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

The problem with basing too much on a single tourney run is just that…a single run here teams get hot.

That is my one big worry I need calmed.

• Like 1