Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

42 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

....also, how many times have coaches gone to watch games and found someone else that they didn't realize was out there or actually played better than they though? 😵🧐

Purdouche keeps getting Jimmy Chitwood and we keep getting Ollie. 😮‍💨

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Sisley will end up being a Purdue commit sooner rather than later and it's all because Painter knows how to make a player a priority and Mike Woodson doesn't. There's a reason Painter has a program in Purdue that is rolling like IU should be. 

Hopefully Sisley will at least hold off on a commitment long enough to see what the coaching situation at IU is a month from now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

He screwed up.  The big question is, does he get another crack at it or not?  Seems like almost all momentum has stalled.  Do they already know which guys we are in the hunt for in the portal?  Freshman class of 25 isn't saving next season.  

Thats the crux of the question to me. Does he get to fix it…. When he was hired it was said he is the bridge. He was to fix it for the next guy. He was never the long term solution. So know we are 3 years in and he needs to fix it. But what is fixing it? To me it’s something totally opposite of what they are planning on doing in the portal. Say he hits a home run in the portal and we finish top 4 in conference and have a top 5 seed in the dance. Thats great but those portal guys will all leave. Guys like Trey and Leal are out of eligibility. So now after year 4 he needs to go get like 7 new players on the portal because he hasn’t recruited high school talent for the foundation. He is taking guys who will go to the league asap. If Mgbako stays for next year he will definitely go pro and will also be gone. 

Also the contract is an issue now  it’s 2024 and his contract runs til 2027.  So not only does Dolson and the board have to decide to back Woodson, they also have to give him an extension so that he can recruit high school kids that will stay 3-4 years so the next coach isn’t left with a Crean situation.  Woodson has really put the program in a bad situation that will take multiple years to fix for the long term.  It’s why if they can get Pearl or Oats then they have to move on imo. Let them start building for that long term continuity.  Can you imagine the uproar the fanbase will have if Dolson announces that Woodson is coming back next year and is getting an extension? Yikes  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, HoosierDom said:

They had two deep tourney runs.

That 4 transfer stat seems pretty misleading. I wonder how many teams qualify? I would assume not many. To me, look at teams that have a couple of starters (that's what we need - it's really not hard to see us being hugely successful next year with just one transfer starting. I don't care too much how we fill out the back of the roster), just with 5 minutes of research, I found Houston, and Tennessee have two transfers starting. Kansas has one plus a top 7 rotation player. UConn is loaded with transfers in their 2nd year at the program (I would assume that means last year, which worked out quite well for them, they had a lot of transfers starting/rotation players.) 

I think we need a starting PG SG and Center for next year. Reneau can’t protect the rim well enough and it’s a problem unless you play 2 bigs. So I don’t expect the style of play to change unless Reneau transfers or Woodson can play without a rim protector. Though Rabby said Woodson wants a rim protector in the portal. 

I don’t think the stat is misleading bc it’s literally what IU is facing. They will need 5 portal players. Maybe the can poach some high school players when the coaching carousel starts to add to our ugh school class of 1 player. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I swear they read message boards

They do however this screams of being a reactionary visit. Crazy how he meets with Dolson yesterday and then today he is magically going out to watch a recruit. 

• Like 9

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

So he's being given another year?  

I’m not in the know but I take it as Dolson saying “just because next season isn’t guaranteed for you doesn’t mean you can get away with not following through with your other responsibilities as coach”

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 02Hoosier said:

I’m not in the know but I take it as Dolson saying “just because next season isn’t guaranteed for you doesn’t mean you can get away with not following through with your other responsibilities as coach”

Even so. That's a bad look for Woodson to his employer.

8 minutes ago, 02Hoosier said:

So neither of them knows?  Or he's still coaching for his job?  If he was coaching for his job wouldn't he be recruiting for his job too?  

17 minutes ago, cybergates said:

All this sectional stuff shouldn't come as a surprise.

Wasn't there a story when Mike Woodson was hired that he wouldn't come to IU to interview, IU needs to come to Mike Woodson in FL (or NY) if they want to interview him?

Yes. I keep thinking about that. Here’s a transcript where he said it:

https://www.insidethehall.com/2021/03/29/transcript-mike-woodson-introductory-press-conference/

• Thanks 1

I see this potentially playing out like Holtman and OSU. IU wins just enough the remainder of this season, together with the prior two years, that they don't make a change this year. They probably weaken the non-con schedule and IU gets off to a good record, but it's a facade. Then they finish in the bottom third of the B1G and they make a change next year. 

Edited by 13th&Jackson
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, DWB said:

I've intentionally stayed out of this discussion because I figured one of you more seasoned observers would bring it up, but so far I haven't seen it.

First off, I REALLY wanted Woody to succeed. No reservations about it. But...he hasn't.

And I have a theory, and it's just that...a theory. The vast majority of Woody's life has been in the NBA. Only 4 years @ IU, and 30+ years in the league. They play (or used to) 82 games a year. No NBA team EVER comes close to an undefeated season. And in Woody's tenure, he became "accustomed" to losing. The question was how many?

To me, he just seems all too comfortable with losing, and "gotta keep working" and moving on to the next game, almost like there are an infinite number of games to make it work.  His reluctance to make adjustments to starting lineups is frustrating to me, always has been. Even when a bench player far exceeds a starter's production, he sometimes doesn't even get into the next game, much less get a starting position, or major minutes.

Our fundamentals stink, offense is in slow-mo most of the time, and no real leadership IMO.

Now I'm sure Woody has forgotten more about the game, than I'll ever know. But in life, some things are obvious, even to casual observers.

Good point about the NBA….with a schedule of 82 games, a loss here and there is no big deal, so you move on to the next game. Unfortunately, you don’t have that luxury in college, and that may affect his decision making. We’ll see if he adapts next year assuming he’s back.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

So he's being given another year?  

I don't think that's connected. I think Dolson pointed out things that Woodson has been doing a poor job of but the perception is already what it is and recruits know. It's not going to get better. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1