Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

14 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Cool! Appreciate the follow up. I know nothing at all. However I would say this. The very people who know so much might be part of the problem the last 2 decades. We have to be the only fanbase in the country that worries about attending high school sectionals. Of course one or 6 of the tribe will come along and say ahh yes. The fans fault. I will offer this. Doing it the same way over and over again?

PS...if Woody is still here. Both Sisley and Mullins are Hoosiers. I'll also add JH to the list but the great part about this board is able to have differing opinions right....even if one side of the teeter totter is a bit heavy.

I hope you’re right on that. I think getting even 1 or 2 of that group would calm some people down. 

At the end of the day recruiting is about relationships so I don’t like applying 1 size fits all strategies to it. 

• Like 1

If there’s anything to all the rumors I’d assume they’ll continue to pick up. And the silence of Dolsom is defining because when there’s fans calling for the coach and you don’t publically support him it kills recruiting. As if Woodson isn’t doing enough of that on his own.

so I sense there’s brewing absolutely happening. Whether it pans out or not idk.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

If there’s anything to all the rumors I’d assume they’ll continue to pick up. And the silence of Dolsom is defining because when there’s fans calling for the coach and you don’t publically support him it kills recruiting. As if Woodson isn’t doing enough of that on his own.

so I sense there’s brewing absolutely happening. Whether it pans out or not idk.

I mean, we have a coach that doesnt really bother to recruit. Like, he'd literally rather be at home than out recruiting. That's fine. But that's a major 🚩 as a Head Coach. Indiana needs to do themselves, the fans, and the Woodsons a solid, and send this man into retirement.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i'm still trying to figure out why some people were excited about the hire.  i was devastated.  then i tried to embrace it.  now i realize i was right.  

I thought bringing along Fife and Matta would make it work but sadly, I was very wrong. 

• Like 8

10 minutes ago, bronkonagurski said:

I thought bringing along Fife and Matta would make it work but sadly, I was very wrong. 

Exactly, I think those 2 being involved initially gave everyone a level of comfort with the plan.  

• Like 7

24 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i'm still trying to figure out why some people were excited about the hire.  i was devastated.  then i tried to embrace it.  now i realize i was right.  

Who was? 

9 minutes ago, Threedom said:

Exactly, I think those 2 being involved initially gave everyone a level of comfort with the plan.  

Exactly. I don't think anyone was "excited" by the hire but more ok with it because there seemed to be some semblance of a plan and structure. I also never thought he'd be here more than 6 years tops tbh. It will be interesting to see what happens. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Who was? 

Exactly. I don't think anyone was "excited" by the hire but more ok with it because there seemed to be some semblance of a plan and structure. I also never thought he'd be here more than 6 years tops tbh. It will be interesting to see what happens. 

i don't know. i feel like there was a decent amount of people who were pumped because he was an alum and had NBA experience.  no?

31 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i don't know. i feel like there was a decent amount of people who were pumped because he was an alum and had NBA experience.  no?

There was definitely some folks that were pumped because of that, especially once we learned Matta and Fife were in the mix. 

• Like 1

I knew the Crean hire would fail. I felt in the minority on that but I followed him at Marquette living in WI and I knew what we’d get and it turned out exactly that way.

i was underwhelmed but open minded to Archie. Liked his personality at first anyway. That failed.

I was so bummed with Woodson hire. Epically bummed. 😩

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Cool! Appreciate the follow up. I know nothing at all. However I would say this. The very people who know so much might be part of the problem the last 2 decades. We have to be the only fanbase in the country that worries about attending high school sectionals. Of course one or 6 of the tribe will come along and say ahh yes. The fans fault. I will offer this. Doing it the same way over and over again?

PS...if Woody is still here. Both Sisley and Mullins are Hoosiers. I'll also add JH to the list but the great part about this board is able to have differing opinions right....even if one side of the teeter totter is a bit heavy.

When did we grow to a tribe? I thought we were musketeers? :coffee:

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I hated the hire from day one.  I was OK when Fife was brought on thinking it would be short term.  He screwed that up.  

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

I knew the Crean hire would fail. I felt in the minority on that but I followed him at Marquette living in WI and I knew what we’d get and it turned out exactly that way.

i was underwhelmed but open minded to Archie. Liked his personality at first anyway. That failed.

although i generally profess to being pessimistic, i was happy with the Crean hire.  i was happy with the Miller hire.  maybe i learned my lesson after that?  Woodson just never made sense to me.  really didn't see it actually happening.  

• Like 5

36 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

This is where I was. Long before Crean was hired, I never understood the hype about him. I always thought his Marquette teams were an undisciplined mess. 
I was positive toward the Archie hire. He had success just below the P6 level and had a good pedigree. So called experts said he was a can’t miss hire. I’ll always suspect that he was undermined by IU on the McKinley Wright transfer that could have changed the trajectory of his tenure. But ultimately, the job seemed too big for him. 
I was never in favor of the Woodson hire. None of it fit together. Seemed like a way to appease the “Indiana Guy” contingent without having to hire Alford. They cobbled together Matta and Fife, but it was clear that Woodson didn’t want a baby sitter or an heir apparent. Sounds like Fife really screwed up too, if rumors are to be believed. 

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

This is where I was. Long before Crean was hired, I never understood the hype about him. I always thought his Marquette teams were an undisciplined mess. 
I was positive toward the Archie hire. He had success just below the P6 level and had a good pedigree. So called experts said he was a can’t miss hire. I’ll always suspect that he was undermined by IU on the McKinley Wright transfer that could have changed the trajectory of his tenure. But ultimately, the job seemed too big for him. 
I was never in favor of the Woodson hire. None of it fit together. Seemed like a way to appease the “Indiana Guy” contingent without having to hire Alford. They cobbled together Matta and Fife, but it was clear that Woodson didn’t want a baby sitter or an heir apparent. Sounds like Fife really screwed up too, if rumors are to be believed. 

Here is the thing.  I think the Fife thing was just a hit to make it OK to get rid of him.  It was leaked when it shouldn’t have.  Didn’t seem right at the time for me.  I think Woodson didn’t want someone questioning him and leaked stuff about him.  

Edited by IU_Realist
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, IU_Realist said:

Here is the thing.  I think the Fife thing was just a hit to make it OK to get rid of him.  It was leaked when it shouldn’t have.  Didn’t seem right at the time for me.  I think Woodson didn’t want someone questioning him and leaked Bullshit about him.  

Maybe, but the "bullshit" seemed pretty bad. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, IU_Realist said:

Here is the thing.  I think the Fife thing was just a hit to make it OK to get rid of him.  It was leaked when it shouldn’t have.  Didn’t seem right at the time for me.  I think Woodson didn’t want someone questioning him and leaked stuff about him.  

Yeah, that really looked bad. I’m just surprised he didn’t land a coaching gig

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Yeah, that really looked bad. I’m just surprised he didn’t land a coaching gig

Fife chopped his own legs off. In this world...between a blend of sports and academia he went down the wrong path. Just my 2 cents. 

He'd be better off finding a deep bench gig or even a smaller school position and start his career path all over.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I never dreamed after 45 years in basketball he would have so many glaring weaknesses.  I was excited to be adding Fife and Matta.  Felt like we were building an NBA style program.  Figured Woodson's roledex would provide more help than it has.  Maybe Mbako counts with the east coast connection.  

But I think my mind is made up, the biggest issue is the lack of energy it takes to do this job.  Love him or hate him,  Crean was a worker.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I never dreamed after 45 years in basketball he would have so many glaring weaknesses.  I was excited to be adding Fife and Matta.  Felt like we were building an NBA style program.  Figured Woodson's roledex would provide more help than it has.  Maybe Mbako counts with the east coast connection.  

But I think my mind is made up, the biggest issue is the lack of energy it takes to do this job.  Love him or hate him,  Crean was a worker.  

He was no question.

32 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Crean’s infatuation with wings, lack of consistent roster building, burn his players out conditioning and questionable play calling in tight games were all widely known and a frustration at Marquette. Nothing changed at all at IU

he'd have a good team for a year or two then massive rebuilds for years between at Marquette. He had shown no ability to build a program that could be good all the time and great every 2-3 years. It was feast or famine with him.

Edited by BADGERVOL

8 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Crean’s infatuation with wings, lack of consistent roster building, burn his players out conditioning and questionable play calling in tight games were all widely known and a frustration at Marquette. Nothing changed at all at IU

he'd have a good team for a year or two then massive rebuilds for years between at Marquette. He had shown no ability to build a program that could be good all the time and great every 2-3 years. It was feast or famine with him.

Yeah, I thought (hoped) Crean would be able to recruit well enough here to avoid those valleys, but he just wasn’t able to.  Archie, I had watched him coach enough at Dayton to know he wasn’t anything special.  That being said, I thought he’d have more success here than he did.  Woodson, I just didn’t understand the hire, especially when the program needed so much more.  They sold me for a while with Fife, Matta, and the promise of a modern NBA-style system, but, of course, that never materialized.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, IUJoe said:

Yeah, I thought (hoped) Crean would be able to recruit well enough here to avoid those valleys, but he just wasn’t able to.  Archie, I had watched him coach enough at Dayton to know he wasn’t anything special.  That being said, I thought he’d have more success here than he did.  Woodson, I just didn’t understand the hire, especially when the program needed so much more.  They sold me for a while with Fife, Matta, and the promise of a modern NBA-style system, but, of course, that never materialized.

So as we can reflect I’d say most of us would agree that in hindsight BOTH Crean AND Miller had a higher upside and more potential to have success here and we followed them both up with a LESS qualified candidate with LESS of a potential to succeed.

If Quinn is responsible the guy should be banned for a year from all things IU. Put his butt in a timeout

• Like 4