Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

Just now, IUFLA said:

So, do you think Woodson has a Painter like relationship with the press? 

When you say just below, does that literally mean Bob knight number 1 of all time and Mike Woodson #2?

What has Woodson done to deserve this?  He is not dislike or loathed at all.  So confusing.  You are on your own and cutting into my nap time

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NotIThatLives said:

When you say just below, does that literally mean Bob knight number 1 of all time and Mike Woodson #2?

What has Woodson done to deserve this?  He is not dislike or loathed at all.  So confusing.  You are on your own and cutting into my nap time

#1 you're making waaaay to much of this...

My wife gets on my shit list... Kids? Yeah... Do I hate them? No

You're right that the press hated RMK... And they eventually got him...

But I'm not sure Mike Woodson has any "besties" in the press either... 

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

#1 you're making waaaay to much of this...

My wife gets on my shit list... Kids? Yeah... Do I hate them? No

You're right that the press hated RMK... And they eventually got him...

But I'm not sure Mike Woodson has any "besties" in the press either... 

Thank you.  I gave you a soft exit and you maturely took it.  

Buckner and the Simons said Woodson deserved another year. They are loading up the NIL funds and making sure Woodson can get players in the portal. Time will tell whether or not that is successful. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, DC2345 said:

Buckner and the Simons said Woodson deserved another year. They are loading up the NIL funds and making sure Woodson can get players in the portal. Time will tell whether or not that is successful. 

Then they should talk Ware into $taying another year too.

21 minutes ago, DunkinDipo said:

So we're loading up the money to buy Woody some players but we can't pony up the money to fire him and hire a coach that doesn't need the most expensive hired hands to be successful?? I can already see what's going to happen...we'll have the highest payroll in college basketball with mediocre results. Cool

And a GM to continue to explain to him how college is different.

Loading up on a bunch of portal players every year is not building a bridge or any kind of future.  It is just temporary bandaid to cover up that Woodson is a mediocre coach overall who is maybe a step below even that when you add up all the things he didn't have to do in the NBA that he should be doing now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, DunkinDipo said:

So we're loading up the money to buy Woody some players but we can't pony up the money to fire him and hire a coach that doesn't need the most expensive hired hands to be successful?? I can already see what's going to happen...we'll have the highest payroll in college basketball with mediocre results. Cool

Makes complete sense. Beef up NIL funds to buy the best players available in order to keep Woodson. Not surprising

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Makes complete sense. Beef up NIL funds to buy the best players available in order to keep Woodson. Not surprising

Like it or not, that’s the reality (NIL/Portal) of college basketball in today’s world regardless of the coach…get used to it. Nick Saban came out this week, and basically said that’s why he retired. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

So we left a scholarship open this year because we didn't have enough in NIL fund to pay a player to fill it? 

• Like 1

We are willing to buy a roster of mercenaries but we are too good for Bruce Pearl?  You can’t make this stuff up.  Yes, you can overcome Woody and be better but there is a long term health component that is more concerning.  Let’s be honest they are trying to get a roster of mercenaries next year but where will that leave us longer term?  Is this about saving face on Woody or about building a program that is way beyond Woody (who is just a latecomer)?

I wish the Simons used the money on football instead of imposing their guy on the program.   
It sure feels like the one heroic figure is Dolson.  He’s trying to make the school better in a sea of self interest trumping the greater good. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

What stinks for me as a fan is the fact that buying players for the now eliminates the (potential) joy of seeing some develop and grow in their careers. Some players don't get it until they're upperclassmen. Watching Victor Oladipo become Victor OLADIPO!! took time, and it was a wonderful thing to see. His blossoming was enjoyable because of where he started and where he ended up.

It's highly unlikely Kaleb Banks or CJ Gunn return -- and I mean this with the utmost sincerity -- it sucks that we won't get the chance to see their possible growth. Of course they are responsible for their own effort, but the downside to constantly buying players is that we eliminate the chances of seeing the next Haston, Wilmont, Evans, Coverdale, etc. growing and succeeding (and truly becoming) Indiana Hoosiers.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

What stinks for me as a fan is the fact that buying players for the now eliminates the (potential) joy of seeing some develop and grow in their careers. Some players don't get it until they're upperclassmen. Watching Victor Oladipo become Victor OLADIPO!! took time, and it was a wonderful thing to see. His blossoming was enjoyable because of where he started and where he ended up.

It's highly unlikely Kaleb Banks or CJ Gunn return -- and I mean this with the utmost sincerity -- it sucks that we won't get the chance to see their possible growth. Of course they are responsible for their own effort, but the downside to constantly buying players is that we eliminate the chances of seeing the next Haston, Wilmont, Evans, Coverdale, etc. growing and succeeding (and truly becoming) Indiana Hoosiers.

We're seeing Galloway and Leal doing that right now. We saw Race do it last year. I agree, we won't see it from Banks, but I see no reason to think he is ever going to be a rotation player at this level. It's not like promising guys are leaving after 1 year. No longer promising guys are leaving after 2 - assuming Gunn actually leaves, I wouldn't be surprised either way. My guess is we will see Cupps grow over 4 years. Hopefully Newton will get the chance, too.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Huh?  Mike Woodson is on the media's poo list?  Since when and for what?  Horrible answers that make him sound like a volunteer ymca coach?  

Hey now, I'm a volunteer YMCA coach!!  But come to think about it....my best teams did feature an inside-in offense with zero 3's made (or even attempted). 🤔

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

It does suck, but that’s the world we live in today, and it isn’t going to get any better, so we have to adapt. I hate it, but there’s no going back, and the days of developing players will be the exception not the rule. 

I think the mods should lock this thread and move us to the Woody is returning thread.  Too much too track 😂.

Also I really like what someone said in the transfer thread, extra money doesn’t solve the transfer portal.  It’s a ready, aim, shoot approach.  Other schools have just as much money, the coach and structure are the key.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BobSaccamanno said:

We are willing to buy a roster of mercenaries but we are too good for Bruce Pearl?  You can’t make this stuff up.  Yes, you can overcome Woody and be better but there is a long term health component that is more concerning.  Let’s be honest they are trying to get a roster of mercenaries next year but where will that leave us longer term?  Is this about saving face on Woody or about building a program that is way beyond Woody (who is just a latecomer)?

I wish the Simons used the money on football instead of imposing their guy on the program.   
It sure feels like the one heroic figure is Dolson.  He’s trying to make the school better in a sea of self interest trumping the greater good. 

Completely agree re filling the gap for whatever reason vs building a foundation. If I could like your post 100 times, I would.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, iuthruandthru said:

I think the mods should lock this thread and move us to the Woody is returning thread.  Too much too track 😂.

Also I really like what someone said in the transfer thread, extra money doesn’t solve the transfer portal.  It’s a ready, aim, shoot approach.  Other schools have just as much money, the coach and structure are the key.

i absolutely don't think we should give up on this thread until the final buzzer sounds.  i don't put it past Woodson to still seal his fate by season's end!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, DC2345 said:

I used the “Thank You” emoji, but really want to use this emoji 🤦‍♀️. 😬 😆😳

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

So, do you think Woodson has a Painter like relationship with the press? 

Every pre and post game press conference I’ve seen have been loaded with softball questions. Any time he gets one tnat isn’t, he says he doesn’t have to answer it. The IU press is nothing like the NY media. It’s laughable  to suggest they’ve been at all hostile with him

• Like 3

I do apologize if this has been floated, but the last 24 hours has been hard to keep up with.  

As far as I know, Woodson has not been extended.  So his contract has 3 more yrs.  Clearly not ideal for recruiting HS players.  If I were AD, I would release as much NIL as possible to help Woody go out on a high note and pony up to get the coach in waiting on board now, like May. 

could we pay May enough to come as associate head coach and wait a year or 2 and also have Woody be accepting of that?

just trying to build some hope here 

4 minutes ago, Threedom said:

I do apologize if this has been floated, but the last 24 hours has been hard to keep up with.  

As far as I know, Woodson has not been extended.  So his contract has 3 more yrs.  Clearly not ideal for recruiting HS players.  If I were AD, I would release as much NIL as possible to help Woody go out on a high note and pony up to get the coach in waiting on board now, like May. 

could we pay May enough to come as associate head coach and wait a year or 2 and also have Woody be accepting of that?

just trying to build some hope here 

Neither May or Woodson would do that. Woodson would put May in charge of emptying the pencil sharpener 

• Haha 1