Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

Just now, CTrojan88 said:

If IU is serious about building a winning program then Woodson needs to go, period !  Anything other than his dismissal is simply nonsense and delaying the inevitable.

I can't disagree, but we I also can't wish things into reality. Seems like Woody is getting one more year whether we like it or not. 

1 hour ago, ledies22 said:

not necessarily true, and it was still illegal then, and he knew it. Cant go back and rewrite history because of new rules. 

With that said, i'd still want Pearl.

It wasn’t illegal. It was a rule that was ruled to be against the laws of the United States, per US Supreme Court. So the rule by the NCAA has always been the issue, not what Pearl and others were doing. To me he and others were being the ethical ones by paying players their market value. So to me no ncaa rules violations for paying players should be held against any coach. 

• Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Feathery said:

It wasn’t illegal. It was a rule that was ruled to be against the laws of the United States, per US Supreme Court. So the rule by the NCAA has always been the issue, not what Pearl and others were doing. To me he and others were being the ethical ones by paying players their market value. So to me no ncaa rules violations for paying players should be held against any coach. 

You are correct. It was not illegal. It was against the rules of the NCAA. I'll choose my words more carefully, knowing someone is always there to argue semantics. I apologize.

Pearl broke the rules before it was even conversation of players getting paid. and there were other instances other than just paying players. and how he payed the players still does not fall within the rules. He doesn't get the benefit of the doubt because the rules changed. You cant go back and award Pistol Pete 300 more points because the 3 point line was invented later.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

You are correct. It was not illegal. It was against the rules of the NCAA. I'll choose my words more carefully, knowing someone is always there to argue semantics. I apologize.

Pearl broke the rules before it was even conversation of players getting paid. and there were other instances other than just paying players. and how he payed the players still does not fall within the rules. He doesn't get the benefit of the doubt because the rules changed. You cant go back and award Pistol Pete 300 more points because the 3 point line was invented later.

I wasn’t arguing semantics. I’m arguing it’s not revisionist and shouldn’t be held against him.

Players getting paid has been a conversation for decades. Since before I was born, think UCLA. It’s why the SEC and others have been doing it under the table. How Learl paid the players is within the rules because Tennessee and Virginia sued the NCAA and the ncaa has stopped any and all NIL investigations. Because they know they will lose any NIL lawsuit and it can’t be a legal rule unless it was collectively bargained. Until the players unionized pay for play is absolutely legal regardless of what the NCAA says. 

As for his other rule he broke, wasn’t it having a bbq at his home that recruits attended? So it’s ok to take the recruit to dinner but not cook them one. Very minor and I don’t hold it against him. I actually applaude athletic departments that are consistently pushing the envelope. OSU football has always pushed the limits and break mi or violations. Then they self report the minor violations but land top 3 recruiting classes annually. If you act to the letter of NCAA rules then you get IU basketball. Lol

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Feathery said:

I wasn’t arguing semantics. I’m arguing it’s not revisionist and shouldn’t be held against him.

Players getting paid has been a conversation for decades. Since before I was born, think UCLA. It’s why the SEC and others have been doing it under the table. How Learl paid the players is within the rules because Tennessee and Virginia sued the NCAA and the ncaa has stopped any and all NIL investigations. Because they know they will lose any NIL lawsuit and it can’t be a legal rule unless it was collectively bargained. Until the players unionized pay for play is absolutely legal regardless of what the NCAA says. 

As for his other rule he broke, wasn’t it having a bbq at his home that recruits attended? So it’s ok to take the recruit to dinner but not cook them one. Very minor and I don’t hold it against him. I actually applaude athletic departments that are consistently pushing the envelope. OSU football has always pushed the limits and break mi or violations. Then they self report the minor violations but land top 3 recruiting classes annually. If you act to the letter of NCAA rules then you get IU basketball. Lol

does Cal get his Final Four reinstated with Umass?

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, madmax said:

This is from another boards insider. Take it however you want-I’m not saying it’s true or accurate.

First thing's first, congrats to the IU women on the 4-seed and hosting opportunity. Tough draw, but they call it madness for a reason. Secondly, love you guys and this community, but goodness you're not shy about using the private message feature. Sorry for ghosting many of you but easier to just post publicly.

And, now that I've effectively buried the lead, Woodson is back next year with a couple caveats and interesting details:

- Meeting Tuesday happened as scheduled and talk was future of the basketball program and specifically how Woody fits in that plan

- Though Dolson and BoT disagree about it happening now, consensus was that this isn't the bridge hire they'd hoped for and this is his last year barring some miracle B1G championship or FF run next year that would make for bad optics.

- Woodson was given the opportunity to retire and go out amicably but said no and that he thinks he can use the portal to put us in a better position to transition to another coach after next year.

- Dolson laid out expectations for portal results and win/loss results next season that would result in letting Woody go; just my opinion but it sounds like Buckner, boosters, etc. got him the 4th year but Scotty Dolson has his finger on the eject button and Woodson knows it. Fully expect him to announce a "planned retirement" next year so he can go out on his "own terms"

- For what it's worth, Dolson did put out feelers and got positive feedback on interest from 2 of his top 3 potential replacement candidates; think we can get May with a text message, Pearl has serious interest but wouldn't make a move if his team makes a FF run or wins a natty. 

- I think we as a fanbase/board are higher on Dusty than the administration/BoT; sounds like they're only interested in a homerun hire, win now guy if they do move and risking a third straight miss isn't something they're willing to do and just because he has IU ties and made a good tourney run, feeling is May isn't a guarantee at this level.

That's what I've got that I'm able to share comfortably right now. Not what myself or anybody on this board probably wants to hear. Moral is one more year is 95% likely (everyone root for UCONN in the S16, and a miracle!) It's kind of messy internally and they're trying to move on to get IU back to a top tier program while letting Woodson ride into the sunset having left the program in a good place and "stepping aside" for the good of the program. ??

It just amazes me how many people can actually think these guys has any real inside info. Over there it is like a Cult where they are just sitting there waiting for any news from them. If you question their info you are pretty much sent to Siberia. You think most people are rational people but they believe any nugget those guys put out there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ledies22 said:

does Cal get his Final Four reinstated with Umass?

Why not? He claims the UMass final four. We all watched them play and it literally happened. Removing a piece of cloth hanging from a ceiling isn’t a punishment. lol. it’s like saying the Fab 5 never happened. lol. I don’t ever think oh they weren’t there. I distinctly remember Weber calling a timeout he didn’t have. Oh wait he was being laid so it never happened. lol. Reggie Bush is suing the NCAA for defamation. NCAA is like a cartel exploiting people to make billions off a basketball tournament. 

Duke didn’t get their banners taken away for all the jewelry and houses they bought recruits and their families. Selective enforcement at its finest. lol. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, btownqb said:

Why have an AD, then? 

It gives Mike Woodson a person to say to, if you want to talk to Mike Woodson, you come to New York and talk to Mike Woodson if you want Mike Woodson to talk to you back. Mike Woodson doesnt go to anybody to talk about Mike Woodson....Mike Woodson out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Just saying that's no way to run a program. Either you're committed to Woodson for another year and provide full support or you pull the plug. Can't still be straddling the fence at this point. Especially after informing the media that he'll be back. 

Well the AD isn’t committed to Woodson. That’s just reality. Also Dolson didn’t inform the media of anything 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Well the AD isn’t committed to Woodson. That’s just reality. Also Dolson didn’t inform the media of anything 

I asked a week or so again and didn't get an answer. Was there ever an "official" statement released by the AD or just the "sources report" stuff? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HoosierDPU95 said:

I asked a week or so again and didn't get an answer. Was there ever an "official" statement released by the AD or just the "sources report" stuff? 

"Despite a disappointing 2023-24 season, Indiana basketball coach Mike Woodson will return next season, an IU athletic department source told IndyStar."

Indiana’s men’s basketball program is retaining head coach Mike Woodson for the 2024-25 season, an IU Athletics spokesperson confirmed to the Indiana Daily Student on Wednesday. The Indianapolis Star first broke the news.

It was all background, but they wouldn't report it if it wasn't a reliable source. No way this happens without Dolson's approval or heads would roll (I'd hope). Note that it was an IU Athletics Dept source.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

Then he needs to move now unless he's a complete idiot.  It's going to get a whole lot worse for Scott if his targets are all gone next year, the 2025 class is a bust which it will be, and Woody leaves an empty roster for the next coach which he will.

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

I’m hoping he sees how far Auburn goes and what Woodson does in the portal. If Woodson doesn’t do anything by time Auburn is out then he gets rid of Woodson and that’s why he hasn’t came out and said anything yet 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Feathery said:

Why not? He claims the UMass final four. We all watched them play and it literally happened. Removing a piece of cloth hanging from a ceiling isn’t a punishment. lol. it’s like saying the Fab 5 never happened. lol. I don’t ever think oh they weren’t there. I distinctly remember Weber calling a timeout he didn’t have. Oh wait he was being laid so it never happened. lol. Reggie Bush is suing the NCAA for defamation. NCAA is like a cartel exploiting people to make billions off a basketball tournament. 

Duke didn’t get their banners taken away for all the jewelry and houses they bought recruits and their families. Selective enforcement at its finest. lol. 

was Weber being laid or being paid? .......great quote

• Haha 4

14 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Then he needs to move now unless he's a complete idiot.  It's going to get a whole lot worse for Scott if his targets are all gone next year, the 2025 class is a bust which it will be, and Woody leaves an empty roster for the next coach which he will.

You’re spot on because think about this:

We probably need 7 to 8 new players: 
Returning players most likely:
Newton (injured all year)
Galloway
Leal
Sparks (unfortunately) 
Cupps (maybe)
Mgbako (fingers crossed he comes back)
Reneau (debating accepting our NIL Offer so 50/50)

So at minimum we have 8 open scholarships  

Plus for 2025:

We are guaranteed next year to lose 
Galloway 
Leal
Sparks
Mgbako
And probably Reneau 

and zero 2025 commits. 

let’s say 4 of the 8 new players we get have eligibility remaining in 2025 then after next year we will need 9 new players.

• Like 2