Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

3 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I don’t think Drew will ever leave Baylor. The culture is ideal for him. Well paid. New arena. Been there 22 years and can win big there. Why leave? Especially for a disaster like Louisville 

I totally agree and I was being sarcastic. Our fans during searches throw these huge names around but those type of coaches don't leave very often often.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I thought it was supposed to be easy for blue bloods to get any coach they want. All you have to do are s throw out huge money 

Louisville is not a blue blood. It's a dumpy commuter school that has some history.

• Like 3

It will be really interesting with May. He's a different cat. He won't chase money. It will probably require the perfect situation for him to leave FAU. 

But do not expect Dusty to trade in the trusty bike he bought used 10 years ago and rides to the office when he has the time for a shiny new model. The man who describes himself as "frugal" is not about material things.

And certainly not about money.

"Dusty is certainly not motivated by money," Anna said. "We have learned that over the years, it's not always greener on the other side."

"Coach May is building on the standard we set here," FAU forward Giancarlo Rosado said. "He's really standing on what he told us. He's not a guy that says one thing and then goes and does another. He's bought into this program. Even though he's offered millions of dollars other places, he's leading by example."

"I learned a long time ago you never mess with happy," he (May) said. "And so I know what makes me happy, and right now at this point in my career I couldn't be any more pleased and happy with where we are."

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/sports/college/basketball/2023/03/31/dusty-may-returning-to-fau-because-money-has-never-been-his-motivation/70067736007/

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Already the 6th highest paid coach at $5.1M. That’s a lot of money in Waco, TX. 

Offer most coaches 15mil a year for 5 years guaranteed and most would take it i assume.  Some wouldn't, they love where they are, have made enough money over the years or just don't care.  But 75 over 5 years guaranteed would be hard to pass up for any coach.

8 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

It will be really interesting with May. He's a different cat. He won't chase money. It will probably require the perfect situation for him to leave FAU. 

But do not expect Dusty to trade in the trusty bike he bought used 10 years ago and rides to the office when he has the time for a shiny new model. The man who describes himself as "frugal" is not about material things.

And certainly not about money.

"Dusty is certainly not motivated by money," Anna said. "We have learned that over the years, it's not always greener on the other side."

"Coach May is building on the standard we set here," FAU forward Giancarlo Rosado said. "He's really standing on what he told us. He's not a guy that says one thing and then goes and does another. He's bought into this program. Even though he's offered millions of dollars other places, he's leading by example."

"I learned a long time ago you never mess with happy," he (May) said. "And so I know what makes me happy, and right now at this point in my career I couldn't be any more pleased and happy with where we are."

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/sports/college/basketball/2023/03/31/dusty-may-returning-to-fau-because-money-has-never-been-his-motivation/70067736007/

man.  i would love for him to stay put.  after this season we'll definitely be looking for a new coach.  while i would take a bigger name with more big time experience like Pearl, i'd like for May to at least be available.  if he goes somewhere, i hope it is immediately and to a place that he would eventually still leave for IU.  would be pretty awesome to get Pearl for a few years, the go to May after he has experience at a bigger school and Pearl is ready to hang it up!  still say Beard would be nice for present and future.  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Offer most coaches 15mil a year for 5 years guaranteed and most would take it i assume.  Some wouldn't, they love where they are, have made enough money over the years or just don't care.  But 75 over 5 years guaranteed would be hard to pass up for any coach.

He isn't going anywhere. It's a cultural fit at Baylor that wouldn't and couldn't exist most other places.

“We’ve been a Christ-centered program since we’ve been here,” Drew says. “Everybody comes in, spiritually, at different levels, but the great thing is that everybody’s open to growing. Each and every year, we want our players to grow academically and athletically, but also spiritually and in character.”

Drew says the Baylor Athletics vision of Preparing Champions for Life is why the program has been successful. The deeply embedded missions of Baylor University and Baylor Athletics carry to every corner of the Baylor men’s basketball program.

Living out the distinctly Christian commitment of Baylor’s campus community runs parallel to Drew’s personal faith journey. 

“Spiritually, whenever you go on a mission trip where you combine that mission with coaching, it doesn’t get any better than that for me,” he says.

The resulting effect in the lives of the student-athletes is clear and evident. All-America guard Jared Butler teaches children’s Sunday School classes at his local church. Gameday chapel services are a staple of the program; team chaplain Mark Wible leads services for home games, and a rotation of coaching staff members lead services for road games. The 2014 season saw seven members of the team baptized. 

https://magazine.web.baylor.edu/news/story/2021/culture-joy

• Like 2

At this point, it seems like Woodson is back for another year. I’m curious what everyone’s thoughts are on what next year would need to look like to not move on from Woodson after next year. This isn’t about whether you think it’ll happen or not, just what would be good enough for IU to keep Woodson.

IMO we’d need 3 things:

1. Single digit seed in the tourney. Imo sneaking in as a double digit seed isn’t good enough.

2. Some sort of recruiting momentum with high level guards/wings. Could be either HS or portal

3. More competitive in high level games. 15+ point blowout losses to good teams shouldn’t be the norm.

I think other things would need to happen in order to accomplish those goals, like changing the style of play. But imo, that should be the minimum for a coach in his 4th year at IU.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

He isn't going anywhere. It's a cultural fit at Baylor that wouldn't and couldn't exist most other places.

“We’ve been a Christ-centered program since we’ve been here,” Drew says. “Everybody comes in, spiritually, at different levels, but the great thing is that everybody’s open to growing. Each and every year, we want our players to grow academically and athletically, but also spiritually and in character.”

Drew says the Baylor Athletics vision of Preparing Champions for Life is why the program has been successful. The deeply embedded missions of Baylor University and Baylor Athletics carry to every corner of the Baylor men’s basketball program.

Living out the distinctly Christian commitment of Baylor’s campus community runs parallel to Drew’s personal faith journey. 

“Spiritually, whenever you go on a mission trip where you combine that mission with coaching, it doesn’t get any better than that for me,” he says.

The resulting effect in the lives of the student-athletes is clear and evident. All-America guard Jared Butler teaches children’s Sunday School classes at his local church. Gameday chapel services are a staple of the program; team chaplain Mark Wible leads services for home games, and a rotation of coaching staff members lead services for road games. The 2014 season saw seven members of the team baptized. 

https://magazine.web.baylor.edu/news/story/2021/culture-joy

I wonder how the Christ centered program ties in with threatening a recruit with deportation if he wouldn’t go to Baylor?  

image.jpeg.6988196a646ee363b363288f58d60578.jpeg

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

man.  i would love for him to stay put.  after this season we'll definitely be looking for a new coach.  while i would take a bigger name with more big time experience like Pearl, i'd like for May to at least be available.  if he goes somewhere, i hope it is immediately and to a place that he would eventually still leave for IU.  would be pretty awesome to get Pearl for a few years, the go to May after he has experience at a bigger school and Pearl is ready to hang it up!  still say Beard would be nice for present and future.  

Couldn’t agree more. If he makes another run this season or even loses second round in a nail biter color me very intrigued. Follow it up with another good season and tournament bid and I say pluck him if we can

1 minute ago, Kdug said:

At this point, it seems like Woodson is back for another year. I’m curious what everyone’s thoughts are on what next year would need to look like to not move on from Woodson after next year. This isn’t about whether you think it’ll happen or not, just what would be good enough for IU to keep Woodson.

IMO we’d need 3 things:

1. Single digit seed in the tourney. Imo sneaking in as a double digit seed isn’t good enough.

2. Some sort of recruiting momentum with high level guards/wings. Could be either HS or portal

3. More competitive in high level games. 15+ point blowout losses to good teams shouldn’t be the norm.

I think other things would need to happen in order to accomplish those goals, like changing the style of play. But imo, that should be the minimum for a coach in his 4th year at IU.

I sincerely believe that if IU is back in the NCAAT next year, even in the First Four, Woodson will get year 5 and they'll be discussing a contract extension. The big money donors who support Woodson are firmly in control, it appears. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, Kdug said:

IMO we’d need 3 things:

Love your list. We need to feel secure that he is the answer to bridge to the next coach. That all facets are covered well and it doesn’t seem like he got hot in an isolated fashion for just next year.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I sincerely believe that if IU is back in the NCAAT next year, even in the First Four, Woodson will get year 5 and they'll be discussing a contract extension. The big money donors who support Woodson are firmly in control, it appears. 

I worry that you’re right, but hope that’s not the case. I don’t have confidence that we can even get to that level next year, but that’d be one of the worst possible outcomes.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Kdug said:

IMO we’d need 3 things:

Eek. Single digit seed? That's it? I personally think we need to be a 5 seed or better because we'll most likely be in the same situation next year: 6 or 7 spots will need to be filled though the portal. So, because essentially nothing is being built from the ground up with HS recruits, then Woody needs to prove that he can be a top 25 caliber team with 50% of the roster made up of transfers year in and year out. 

Woody made his bed. He must lie in it. If this portal heavy strategy doesn't work, he has nobody to blame but himself because he's already set himself to be in the same situation in 25-26. And nobody has the patience to wait until 26-27, not even QB or the SImons. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Kdug said:

IMO we’d need 3 things:

top 4 B1G

5 seed or better.

Sweet 16

top 25 recruiting class

attend Indiana high school games

instill confidence in Indiana high school recruiting circles

show control over the program

somehow prove that the success of '24 is not a fluke

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Eek. Single digit seed? That's it? I personally think we need to be a 5 seed or better because we'll most likely be in the same situation next year: 6 or 7 spots will need to be filled though the portal. So, because essentially nothing is being built from the ground up with HS recruits, then Woody needs to prove that he can be a top 25 caliber team with 50% of the roster made up of transfers year in and year out. 

Woody made his bed. He must lie in it. If this portal heavy strategy doesn't work, he has nobody to blame but himself because he's already set himself to be in the same situation in 25-26. And nobody has the patience to wait until 26-27, not even QB or the SImons. 

I think top a 5 seed would be a good goal, I just think it’d be tough to fire him if we get something like an 8 seed. If next year IU has the same results as Nebraska did this year (disregarding style of play), do you really fire Woodson? I’d personally say no, assuming the other stuff I listed is true.

I don’t think we’re that far off, the difference between an 8/9 seed and a 5 seed is really just one or two wins. There’d be some nuance to all of this.

4 minutes ago, Kdug said:

I think top a 5 seed would be a good goal, I just think it’d be tough to fire him if we get something like an 8 seed. If next year IU has the same results as Nebraska did this year (disregarding style of play), do you really fire Woodson? I’d personally say no, assuming the other stuff I listed is true.

I don’t think we’re that far off, the difference between an 8/9 seed and a 5 seed is really just one or two wins. There’d be some nuance to all of this.

Respectfully, for real? 

100% you do since the buyout is considerably lower. Isn't it knocked down to 6 million on April 1st of next year? 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Respectfully, for real? 

100% you do since the buyout is considerably lower. Isn't it knocked down to 6 million on April 1st of next year? 

Not sure on the buyout. What would be your threshold?

Again, using this year’s Nebraska as a proxy. They are an 8 seed, tied for third in the conference, and 26th in kenpom. I don’t see how you could look at a year like that and move on - unless there was some really fluky stuff, the recruiting momentum was still poor, and we’re still consistently getting blown out. That’d be the highest IU kenpom rating since 2016.

If you don’t fire him after this year, I don’t see how you could fire him after a year like that.