Coach Mike Woodson Megathread

47 minutes ago, Kdug said:

At this point, it seems like Woodson is back for another year. I’m curious what everyone’s thoughts are on what next year would need to look like to not move on from Woodson after next year. This isn’t about whether you think it’ll happen or not, just what would be good enough for IU to keep Woodson.

IMO we’d need 3 things:

1. Single digit seed in the tourney. Imo sneaking in as a double digit seed isn’t good enough.

2. Some sort of recruiting momentum with high level guards/wings. Could be either HS or portal

3. More competitive in high level games. 15+ point blowout losses to good teams shouldn’t be the norm.

I think other things would need to happen in order to accomplish those goals, like changing the style of play. But imo, that should be the minimum for a coach in his 4th year at IU.

Two and three for sure. I’m not sure where I’d set the bar for number one. 

My biggest concern is roster construction and recruiting. If we haven’t made in roads to building a foundation through HS recruiting and we look like we’re going to be portal or bust again, that is a deal breaker. You can build teams through the portal, but not a program. We could have a pretty good team built through the portal for next year and I’d still be skeptical of the long term if we have 0 HS recruits lined up like this year. 

• Like 1

I am of the belief that since he has escaped being released this year, the only way he isn't the coach is if he retires. And, now that he has lowered the bar of expectations, any form of improvement next season will be considered a positive trajectory in comparison.

What I fear is his inability or unwillingness to bring in high school recruits is going to haunt us.

Also, he says he was brought here to win a championship and it’s clear to anyone with a pulse that absolutely will not happen under his watch.

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, Inequality said:

I am of the belief that since he has escaped being released this year, the only way he isn't the coach is if he retires. And, now that he has lowered the bar of expectations, any form of improvement next season will be considered a positive trajectory in comparison.

What I fear is his inability or unwillingness to bring in high school recruits is going to haunt us.

Also, he says he was brought here to win a championship and it’s clear to anyone with a pulse that absolutely will not happen under his watch.

One scenario is he lands a good ‘25 recruiting class and gets us back in the tourney and then he walks away on his own, thinking he put us in a good position for a handoff to the next coach.  He will be going on 68 and just may not want to put the work in plus he can say that he did what he set out to do, which is get us on the right track.  That’s what could be his thought process.  

1 hour ago, tdhoosier said:

Eek. Single digit seed? That's it? I personally think we need to be a 5 seed or better because we'll most likely be in the same situation next year: 6 or 7 spots will need to be filled though the portal. So, because essentially nothing is being built from the ground up with HS recruits, then Woody needs to prove that he can be a top 25 caliber team with 50% of the roster made up of transfers year in and year out. 

Woody made his bed. He must lie in it. If this portal heavy strategy doesn't work, he has nobody to blame but himself because he's already set himself to be in the same situation in 25-26. And nobody has the patience to wait until 26-27, not even QB or the SImons. 

I agree but it seems he tried with HS talent and failed. His philosophy was go big recruits or bust and it failed. Now he lives with it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I sincerely believe that if IU is back in the NCAAT next year, even in the First Four, Woodson will get year 5 and they'll be discussing a contract extension. The big money donors who support Woodson are firmly in control, it appears. 

Most boosters want to win. Our boosters don't. It's unbelievable.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Inequality said:

This is 100% where I’m at. I just don’t think they really want to fire an IU legend. This was the year to do it. I think he plays out his contract if he chooses to unless next year is completely worse. Maybe we can force retirement but I think he is too stubborn and arrogant to be forced into anything at this point…

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kdug said:

At this point, it seems like Woodson is back for another year. I’m curious what everyone’s thoughts are on what next year would need to look like to not move on from Woodson after next year. 

NBA Championship.  :coffee:

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

so with Reneau back, our current lineup is:

Cupps

Galloway

Leal

Mtaco

Reneau

with Newton off the bench

Have no idea if MM will he back or if Ware is definitely gone. When can guys start declaring for the draft 

23 minutes ago, Hoosier219 said:

This is 100% where I’m at. I just don’t think they really want to fire an IU legend. This was the year to do it. I think he plays out his contract if he chooses to unless next year is completely worse. Maybe we can force retirement but I think he is too stubborn and arrogant to be forced into anything at this point…

There are parallels to Ewing at Georgetown. Although Woodson has been better through years 1-3, most people don't realize that the bottom didn't fall out until years 5 and 6. They were 15-17 in year three, which IU came precariously close to matching (were 14-13 and were underdogs in all four remaining games). Year 4, Georgetown was 13-13, but went on a run to win the Big East tournament. People were thinking they turned a corner. Ewing was 3 games over .500. Then they went 13-50 over the final two years of his six years there.

After his official duties ended, the 7-footer stretched out in the stands and talked about the assignment he had accepted at his alma mater.

"I have to get on a plane and go recruiting now," he said.

He did not seem excited.

Months earlier, Ewing had a fine NBA job, working as an assistant coach with the Charlotte Hornets, the team owned by his friend and former Dream Team teammate Michael Jordan. But even with Ewing's professional success as a player, his name and his connections, he had yet to secure a head-coaching job in the league.

"[Thompson] called me when I was in the NBA and told me I need to apply for this job or try to get an interview for this job because, he said, 'One of us needs to be the coach here.' And I'm part of his legacy and that's written in stone."

Yet, Ewing admits, he wasn't initially sold on the idea.

"He had to convince me," he said.

LAST MONTH, EWING sat at a table outside his office at the newly christened John R. Thompson Jr. Intercollegiate Athletic Center and held an iPhone that wouldn't stop ringing. It was 11 a.m., but he already seemed tired, taking a deep breath after the start of a long day, and another long season.

"Give me a minute," he said, staring at his phone.

After sending a few texts, he placed the phone back on the table.

"Recruiting," he said, "never stops."

"I think it is a challenge, but you have to embrace it," said Georgetown athletic director Lee Reed, of recruiting. "You have to lean in. And that's what we're trying to do. You can't moan and complain about how it is. You really have to embrace it: the transfers, name, image and likeness -- everything that goes into recruiting and sustaining a great program today. If you don't lean in, you'll fall behind."

Some of those on-court challenges are obvious. The Hoyas play a style that conflicts with the modernized version of positionless basketball, and makes it tough for the team to turn the corner.

With three 7-footers, including the 7-2 Ryan Mutombo (the son of NBA Hall of Famer Dikembe Mutombo, another Georgetown star) on the roster, it's sometimes difficult for the Hoyas to rotate on defense, which leaves them vulnerable. Too often, they get beat off pick-and-roll action and crushed on fast breaks.

They're in the middle of a mess they don't know how to fix, and you can see it.

"Just get better," Ewing said last month, about what he tells his team. "You hear my voice is gone. Because I'm always trying to yell and scream, trying to get them to do the things I know we need to do to be good. We have talent. It's not about the talent. It's about us locking in to accomplish the things we want to accomplish."

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/33138817/why-georgetown-return-glory-failed-launch-patrick-ewing

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Hoosier219 said:

This is the bad part of being an IU fan.  Years 1 and 2 weren't that great and year 3 was atrocious.  Unless he hits a home run in the portal and he changes his system, year 4 will be worse.  He has had the same offense and defense for 3 years and it sucked then and it will suck in the future.  He is lazy, stubborn and a 66 year old in a 90 year olds body.  Who cares what he wants.   One of his buddies or his wife needs  to tell him that he sucks and be a grandpa and enjoy his multi million dollars his below average behind got from IU.   

Also, nobody cares what he did in 1980.  44 years ago....

Edited by Common Sense
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Realistically, the standards have dropped such that if Mike gets us into the tournament as any seed, under any circumstances he will not be fired. 

A round of 64 loss and going 22-10 is a successful season now. And especially when the coach is a donor favorite. It’s just not going to happen. 

• Sad 6

1 hour ago, Common Sense said:

This is the bad part of being an IU fan.  Years 1 and 2 weren't that great and year 3 was atrocious.  Unless he hits a home run in the portal and he changes his system, year 4 will be worse.  He has had the same offense and defense for 3 years and it sucked then and it will suck in the future.  He is lazy, stubborn and a 66 year old in a 90 year olds body.  Who cares what he wants.   One of his buddies or his wife needs  to tell him that he sucks and be a grandpa and enjoy his multi million dollars his below average behind got from IU.   

I want Woodson gone but this season wasn't atrocious. Was it good, no but atrocious would be 10-21 or something like that.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Common Sense said:

Ya went the F OFF and I read it to my son and we BOTH laughed out loud 😅 sometimes you can only laugh at this utter dumpster 🔥 

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, madmax said:

Realistically, the standards have dropped such that if Mike gets us into the tournament as any seed, under any circumstances he will not be fired. 

A round of 64 loss and going 22-10 is a successful season now. And especially when the coach is a donor favorite. It’s just not going to happen. 

I want to puke at your post except you’re probably right.

• Like 1

I’ve been following the NIT just enough to watch ISU last night and know 3 Big Ten teams are in the NIT, which has a heck of a lineup. 6 B1G teams in the NCAA tournament. So we’re 1 of 5 B1G teams sitting idle. Just struck me. MINNESOTA is in the NIT, OSU, and Iowa. Good for them. Just ugh for us. 

Really needed this Kentucky loss today 😂😂

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MrsStoller said:

I’ve been following the NIT just enough to watch ISU last night and know 3 Big Ten teams are in the NIT, which has a heck of a lineup. 6 B1G teams in the NCAA tournament. So we’re 1 of 5 B1G teams sitting idle. Just struck me. MINNESOTA is in the NIT, OSU, and Iowa. Good for them. Just ugh for us. 

Really needed this Kentucky loss today 😂😂

IU turned down a NIT bid

Big Ten off to a very good start 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, 94hoosier said:

IU turned down a NIT bid

Big Ten off to a very good start 

Yeah, I knew IU turned it down, pretty much right after the loss in the B1G tournament. We would have been in the NIT where there are teams actually continuing to play and work towards a goal. Oh whatever. Gotta make sure we work in the portal. If that isn’t a sign of leadership dysfunction. But anyway, I repeat myself.

Still celebrating Kentucky’s loss! 🥳

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MrsStoller said:

Yeah, I knew IU turned it down, pretty much right after the loss in the B1G tournament. We would have been in the NIT where there are teams actually continuing to play and work towards a goal. Oh whatever. Gotta make sure we work in the portal. If that isn’t a sign of leadership dysfunction. But anyway, I repeat myself.

Still celebrating Kentucky’s loss! 🥳

When it comes to the basketball program, the entire university and athletics department is dysfunctional. 

I really wish Dolson would resign in protest. But then again, his entire resume was 'im the next guy up'. 

Jack Swarbrick is retiring from ND. Guess who isn't replacing him? His assistant.

On 3/20/2024 at 9:37 AM, Fkfootball said:

Dusty May. Finally an IU alum, who's up and coming, having success, very likable, fun style of play, and cheap enough for us to hire. 

And we are going to let him go to Louisville.

It is extremely hard to be a fan of this program. It really is.

Agreed. I know May is not a consensus pick for IU's next head coach. But.... If IU were thinking about him as a serious candidate and he had any interest in IU, I think we should offer pay him    1-2 M to keep him at FAU until we Fi/retire CMW. Seems crazy. But, that would be much cheaper in the end than buying him out from Louisville or other. If he has success this year and next, we would have a better sense of his coaching etc. If he turns out to be a bust, we could move on and the loss would be relatively small. Seems incredibly absurd at first glance then you look at what IU has spent on hires and buyouts since RMK. 

p.s. Great to see Kentucky lost tonight. They said only 1 win in 4 years in the tournament. 

Edited by Bama4IU