Big Ten 2021-2022

13 minutes ago, southsidehoosier said:

Well I’ll take solace knowing no team has a had a AdjDef that high and came close to sniffing a championship 

Got bored this afternoon and decided to research the last 10 conference winners and where they ranked on defense. 

2012: OSU, MSU and Michigan; 4, 2 and 56. 

2013: IU; 19

2014: Michigan; 89

2015: Wisconsin; 35

2016: IU; 59

2017: Purdue; 23

2018: MSU; 10

2019: Purdue, MSU; 34, 9

2020: Wisconsin, MSU, Maryland; 17, 13, 22

2021: Michigan; 4 (if you think winning % screwed Illinois here, the Illini were 7)

The obvious outlier was 2014 Michigan at 89. Our 2016 team was the next worst at 59, and we were a rare case of a team actually getting better on that end of the court because of one player's absence. 

So these numbers would suggest Purdue probably needs to go up about 30 spots if they want to win the Big Ten. Or maybe they just keep out-scoring everyone all the way into March. 

1 hour ago, Purdue7 said:

Thank you 

was trying to think of the legendary HS mix up….terre haute Garfield or Garstmeyer?

Gerstmeyer...my Dad knew the Andrews boys...

My cousin played on the Garfield team that went to the state final 4 in 1963...

Edited by IUFLA

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

First pic: after the Fatts Russell free throws...note the clock...Screenshot_20220213-163314.thumb.png.2d3d792a532901aeedab1cd29a4ec10a.png

Second pic: After the clock issue...again, note the time... 

Screenshot_20220213-163444.thumb.png.e80b2f6dda502d35d7d5ac6717f2c7ee.png

I dont think anyone disputed that once you guys called it out. Doesn’t mean that wasn’t wrong, too. What happened that caused the clock to move?

10 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I dont think anyone disputed that once you guys called it out. Doesn’t mean that wasn’t wrong, too. What happened that caused the clock to move?

I presented the pics purely as evidence that there was a change in time...

The key sequence was the first inbounds and that wasn't on the highlights I accessed...but if I recall correctly, Purdue had inbounded the ball and the clock went from 8.1 to 6.7 when the officials blew their whistles. Apparently they corrected it to 7.8...

Just now, IUFLA said:

I presented the pics purely as evidence that there was a change in time...

The key sequence was the first inbounds and that wasn't on the highlights I accessed...but if I recall correctly, Purdue had inbounded the ball and the clock went from 8.1 to 6.7 when the officials blew their whistles. Apparently they corrected it to 7.8...

Yes I understand all that, don’t dispute it in the least.

But what did they call that allowed for the clock to move and no free throws for Purdue? There’s nothing I can think of, which means the refs just screwed it up.

If they did actually call something and it was more than a clock error then the rest of the call was probably right. I just think that seems really unlikely and there is no such call displayed in the games play by play online.

The most likely scenario here is Big Ten referees screwed up, per usual. 

39 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Official explanation of why the clock moved and why it was a spot throw in:

image.thumb.png.e6e7d5127b3db83084539ba92739157e.png
For me personally I have no problem saying that was terrible officiating. But to each their own. 

So I guess the nuance is not the running of the baseline, but passing the ball to an out of bounds teammate...

Sounds to me like they got it right...

Just now, IUFLA said:

So I guess the nuance is not the running of the baseline, but passing the ball to an out of bounds teammate...

Sounds to me like they got it right...

How did you get that from what that explanation was?

The nuance is they couldn’t do either of those things because the clock moved. The clock moved because it inadvertently started and the refs determined they caught it too late and had to take .3 off, therefore making it a dead ball out of bounds

I disagree with the refs determining they should take .3 off and make it a dead ball out of bounds. You on the other hand are okay with a home team clock operator making an error and taking time off the clock with the home team winning. I’d hate to see IU lose a game because a clock operator took time off the clock erroneously.

• Like 1

Just now, KoB2011 said:

Not from those pictures. If you bring you arms down, it’s a foul. I understand you’re accustomed to getting away with fouls watching Purdue play defense, but that was a pretty easy call by the book. 

Their guy initiated the contact with his elbow. 

Edited by Stlboiler23
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I already said why it was a good non-call lol. Their guy led with his elbow which was the initial contact. 

That doesn’t make it a good no call. If he created space with his elbow it’s an offensive foul, if his elbow just happened to be the first thing to make contact as he was going up, it’s still a foul on Williams. 

• Like 1