Stories That Make You Shake Your Head At The World

10 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

No details but just heard a 16 year old at Whiteland High School was shot and killed at a bus stop. Apparently over a fight that happened yesterday. Terrible news, I truly will never understand this world or the people in it

From what I was reading sounds like he was targeted.

I haven't lived in that area or even been around there for some time... Are gangs an issue around there? 

Army program gives poor-performing recruits a second chance

His determination is commendable but, how do you fail the asvab that many times?

FORT JACKSON, S.C. (AP) — Chaz Andrews has wanted to join the Army since he was 19, but he has failed the service's academic test more than 10 times over the past decade.

Now, at age 29, Andrews thinks he has a real shot to pass, thanks to a new Army program that gives lower-performing recruits up to 90 days of academic or fitness instruction to help them meet military standards.

“I didn’t want to give up on it,” he said during a recent break in his classroom schedule at Fort Jackson, 

4 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Army program gives poor-performing recruits a second chance

His determination is commendable but, how do you fail the asvab that many times?

FORT JACKSON, S.C. (AP) — Chaz Andrews has wanted to join the Army since he was 19, but he has failed the service's academic test more than 10 times over the past decade.

Now, at age 29, Andrews thinks he has a real shot to pass, thanks to a new Army program that gives lower-performing recruits up to 90 days of academic or fitness instruction to help them meet military standards.

“I didn’t want to give up on it,” he said during a recent break in his classroom schedule at Fort Jackson, 

There's some shady shit goes on in recruiting.

My Step son, as a soph in high school had decided he would be a Marine. Spoke to and worked with B'town recruiter to get on the right path. his entire Senior year, he did Physical fitness and classroom training with a group in B'town twice a week (some retired, some other recruits and some current Marines) while making passing high school grades and working a job.

He had some medical history of seizures with the last one being around age 6 (12 yrs prior to being a High school senior). The Doc's issued all of the required reports, clearing him. Military Doc's reviewed and cleared him, all was "good to go". We get to Indy (whats that place on the east side that is the last step before getting on a bus to go to basic?) and he's went through everything, taken the oath (I have the video) and poof. "something" came up and he's denied. HE IS TOTALLY DEFLATED...

SO over the next year, I work with him, being the person I am, NO is never acceptable. He goes to a different recruiter (nearby town) and and all goes supper quickly and super smooth. Off to Indy we go again, he (we) are walking to take the oath again, and out of the EFFING blue, that initial recruiter just happens to walk by, recognizes the step son, and says WTF are you doing here? I'll fix this shit... (he actually said that)... Yelled some things, made a call and poof. We are out.

The kid met every expectation and requirement twice. His dream was killed and the feeling of working for what you want can be pulled right away from you by a prick.     

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

@Joe_Hoopsier

My second semester in college a marine recruiter was going around knocking on doors. The first time he saw me at 6'3" 225 and looking like a typical gym rat he says that's what I'm looking for. I think he came to my door everyday after that.  I got tired of it so I finally took the asvab for him and scored over a 90.  After that he was coming twice a day and started calling me. Had to tell him I came from an Army family and if I did anything I was going to be a Ranger, which was the truth. 

Anyway, for the asvab, I understand people have different abilities but when I took it it was like a 6th grade ISTEP test. Last I saw they lowered the passing score to 35 I think. I just don't understand how anyone without a developmental disorder can fail it, let alone multiple times. 

I have a friend that got denied by the marines for a heart condition, arrhythmia I think. He got sworn in 2 years later. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

My Step son, as a soph in high school had decided he would be a Marine. Spoke to and worked with B'town recruiter to get on the right path. his entire Senior year, he did Physical fitness and classroom training with a group in B'town twice a week (some retired, some other recruits and some current Marines) while making passing high school grades and working a job.

He had some medical history of seizures with the last one being around age 6 (12 yrs prior to being a High school senior). The Doc's issued all of the required reports, clearing him. Military Doc's reviewed and cleared him, all was "good to go". We get to Indy (whats that place on the east side that is the last step before getting on a bus to go to basic?) and he's went through everything, taken the oath (I have the video) and poof. "something" came up and he's denied. HE IS TOTALLY DEFLATED...

SO over the next year, I work with him, being the person I am, NO is never acceptable. He goes to a different recruiter (nearby town) and and all goes supper quickly and super smooth. Off to Indy we go again, he (we) are walking to take the oath again, and out of the EFFING blue, that initial recruiter just happens to walk by, recognizes the step son, and says WTF are you doing here? I'll fix this shit... (he actually said that)... Yelled some things, made a call and poof. We are out.

The kid met every expectation and requirement twice. His dream was killed and the feeling of working for what you want can be pulled right away from you by a prick.     

Sorry your step son had to go through that @Joe_Hoopsier... Military recruiting has always been shady... 

So this one goes back 42+ years...

I was contemplating joining the USAF. Had already taken the ASVAB and qualified for whatever job I wanted that was open. I had initially wanted to be a computer programmer, but I'd have had to wait a year on delayed enlistment. Wasn't going to do that, so I went back to the recruiter's office.

The Air Force recruiter wasn't there, but there were 2 Marine recruiters in the office. When I told them I was there to see the USAF recruiter, they started with their pitch. I said no, don't think so, but they invited me to lunch (at Red Lobster) if I'd hear them all the way out. I knew there was no way I was going to change my mind, but hey, free lunch at Red Lobster? Sure...

So we go, they try to close, and I just keep telling them not interested.

On the drive back to the office, one of them pulls out what looks like a joint and offers to smoke it with me. Turned him down.

To this day I think they were trying to get the goods on me by getting me to smoke the J and then saying either you go with us, or we tell... 2 against 1. 

By the way, I had a friend who got drafted in 1969. When he went to the MEPS (it use to be called AFSEE or something like that), a Marine came in and said, "I need 10 " volunteers for the Marines. Raise your hand! "

No one did, so he counted 10 enlistees, including my friend and said, " come with me. "

So he was " drafted" into the USMC. 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

@Joe_Hoopsier

My second semester in college a marine recruiter was going around knocking on doors. The first time he saw me at 6'3" 225 and looking like a typical gym rat he says that's what I'm looking for. I think he came to my door everyday after that.  I got tired of it so I finally took the asvab for him and scored over a 90.  After that he was coming twice a day and started calling me. Had to tell him I came from an Army family and if I did anything I was going to be a Ranger, which was the truth. 

Anyway, for the asvab, I understand people have different abilities but when I took it it was like a 6th grade ISTEP test. Last I saw they lowered the passing score to 35 I think. I just don't understand how anyone without a developmental disorder can fail it, let alone multiple times. 

I have a friend that got denied by the marines for a heart condition, arrhythmia I think. He got sworn in 2 years later. 

Can’t remember what I scored on the ASVAB way back in the day, but it was enough to get the Navy College Fund, which was an expanded GI Bill, and my pick of location/training. They kept trying to steep me toward Nuclear, but I chose Corspman and then I chose Charleston, SC. Worked in a hospital most of the time during those six years. When I was a psych tech, talked to so many recruits that had been either tricked into enlisting or forced to enlist. I usually got involved when they tried to kill themselves to get out of training/bootcamp. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Can’t remember what I scored on the ASVAB way back in the day, but it was enough to get the Navy College Fund, which was an expanded GI Bill, and my pick of location/training. They kept trying to steep me toward Nuclear, but I chose Corspman and then I chose Charleston, SC. Worked in a hospital most of the time during those six years. When I was a psych tech, talked to so many recruits that had been either tricked into enlisting or forced to enlist. I usually got involved when they tried to kill themselves to get out of training/bootcamp. 

Yeah, the guys who brief you on benefits aren't much better than the recruiters to be honest...

When I was in basic training, I got briefed, one on one with an NCO (E-6) about my education benefits. The Veterans Education Assistance Program (VEAP) was the program at the time. The NCO briefed me on it then says, "but there's a New GI Bill in Congress, and it's much better than VEAP. I'd advise you to wait for that."

So, I turned VEAP down only to find out you had to have contributed to VEAP to be eligible for the New Montgomery GI Bill... I've fought that for 40+ years, to no avail... I always get, "what was the NCO's name that misled you?"

No idea...

12 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Thats terrible. I am so sorry to hear what you and your son are going through. As a man of Faith I can offer that doors that may seemed closed may not, they just might need to be opened in a different way and by going through all of this I pray that your son does not give up and gains something that will become very important to him in the future. I don't know what this is but I do believe that all things happen for a reason. Just knowing you from your posts I know that you have instilled that hard work ethic in your son and he will get past this. IF that door is closed for whatever reason GOD has opened another and it is up to him to be able to find it. Lifting you guys up in prayers. Seeing our kids hurt whether physically, emotionally or any other way is so difficult. 

A couple of verses that have helped me through the years

Proverbs 3:5–6

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make straight your paths.

Jeremiah 29:11

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord. “Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

Joshua 1:9,

“Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

Keep trying.  There is a waiver for everything.  Maybe try Marine reserves.  Once you are in it's pretty simple to move your contract to active duty.  I was Army National Guard.  About 8 weeks into boot camp before we split off for AIT they were allowing Guard and Reserve guys to change to active with the sign of a few papers at a small table in our barracks.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Sorry your step son had to go through that @Joe_Hoopsier... Military recruiting has always been shady... 

So this one goes back 42+ years...

I was contemplating joining the USAF. Had already taken the ASVAB and qualified for whatever job I wanted that was open. I had initially wanted to be a computer programmer, but I'd have had to wait a year on delayed enlistment. Wasn't going to do that, so I went back to the recruiter's office.

The Air Force recruiter wasn't there, but there were 2 Marine recruiters in the office. When I told them I was there to see the USAF recruiter, they started with their pitch. I said no, don't think so, but they invited me to lunch (at Red Lobster) if I'd hear them all the way out. I knew there was no way I was going to change my mind, but hey, free lunch at Red Lobster? Sure...

So we go, they try to close, and I just keep telling them not interested.

On the drive back to the office, one of them pulls out what looks like a joint and offers to smoke it with me. Turned him down.

To this day I think they were trying to get the goods on me by getting me to smoke the J and then saying either you go with us, or we tell... 2 against 1. 

By the way, I had a friend who got drafted in 1969. When he went to the MEPS (it use to be called AFSEE or something like that), a Marine came in and said, "I need 10 " volunteers for the Marines. Raise your hand! "

No one did, so he counted 10 enlistees, including my friend and said, " come with me. "

So he was " drafted" into the USMC. 

I have a book called Blood on the Risers by a veteran paratrooper.  He was at processing in 67 and told the same story about marine recruiters coming in looking for "10 volunteers".  No one did so they picked 10. I always wondered if it was true.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I have a book called Blood on the Risers by a veteran paratrooper.  He was at processing in 67 and told the same story about marine recruiters coming in looking for "10 volunteers".  No one did so they picked 10. I always wondered if it was true.  

I'm sure it is...

The guy that told me that story worked with me at a door and window factory up on Indy's northeast side on Millersville Road. Great guy. Served in Vietnam for a year. Had some stories that would make you very sad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Yeah, the guys who brief you on benefits aren't much better than the recruiters to be honest...

When I was in basic training, I got briefed, one on one with an NCO (E-6) about my education benefits. The Veterans Education Assistance Program (VEAP) was the program at the time. The NCO briefed me on it then says, "but there's a New GI Bill in Congress, and it's much better than VEAP. I'd advise you to wait for that."

So, I turned VEAP down only to find out you had to have contributed to VEAP to be eligible for the New Montgomery GI Bill... I've fought that for 40+ years, to no avail... I always get, "what was the NCO's name that misled you?"

No idea...

Yup, business as usual for them. Super shady. 

• Like 1

The guy who owned the shoe store in Chesterton years back, literally would hold the box two inches from his face so he could read the shoe size. He was drafted for WW2, when they gave him the vision test they assumed it was a scam and passed him. You can imagine the excitement when in basic he got to the rifle range!!

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

The guy who owned the shoe store in Chesterton years back, literally would hold the box two inches from his face so he could read the shoe size. He was drafted for WW2, when they gave him the vision test they assumed it was a scam and passed him. You can imagine the excitement when in basic he got to the rifle range!!

When my flight qualified in basic, we got 100 shots to score 98 hits  or above to qualify for your marksmans medal. I shot a 99.

One guy shot 104... They still gave it to him even though his neighbor was obviously shooting at his target...

Hey, it was the Air Force... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Thats terrible. I am so sorry to hear what you and your son are going through. As a man of Faith I can offer that doors that may seemed closed may not, they just might need to be opened in a different way and by going through all of this I pray that your son does not give up and gains something that will become very important to him in the future. I don't know what this is but I do believe that all things happen for a reason. Just knowing you from your posts I know that you have instilled that hard work ethic in your son and he will get past this. IF that door is closed for whatever reason GOD has opened another and it is up to him to be able to find it. Lifting you guys up in prayers. Seeing our kids hurt whether physically, emotionally or any other way is so difficult. 

A couple of verses that have helped me through the years

Proverbs 3:5–6

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make straight your paths.

Jeremiah 29:11

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord. “Plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”

Joshua 1:9,

“Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”

I appreciate it, you and all (this is a great forum!) 

All of that happened 5-6 yrs ago and he moved on from there. He's in an LEO roll now. It was, as you say (and all of us older know) another door that opened up. I was actually pretty proud of him sticking with it as much as he did.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

20,000 Colorado homeowners locked out of controlling their own "smart" thermostats during heat wave.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/energy-company-locks-smart-thermostats

"The high temperature in Denver nearly broke 90F on Tuesday" 

Boo hoo... Been way worse than that here since Memorial Day.

With this rush to "clean energy" it's only going to get worse. California bans the sale of gasoline powered vehicles, while at the same time asking EV owners not to plug in their cars and stress the power grid.

I'd love to transition to clean energy. But the infrastructure has to be there first. Beefing up power grids should be the first step, not a parallel effort... 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

With this rush to "clean energy" it's only going to get worse. California bans the sale of gasoline powered vehicles, while at the same time asking EV owners not to plug in their cars and stress the power grid.

I'd love to transition to clean energy. But the infrastructure has to be there first. Beefing up power grids should be the first step, not a parallel effort... 

Last time I visited my daughters family in California, I almost had to laugh at all of the Teslas driving around. 1st as you say they need to develope the power grid. If everyone had an EV and plugged them in there wouldn't be near the electricity available to charge them. 

Then the environmental aspects, aren't the power companies one of the primary causes of so many wildfires in CA? Then there is the aspect of in a few years what are they going to do with all of the expiring battery packs?

I'm with you we need to continue developing clean energy, but there needs to be a realistic PLAN!!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Madison22 said:

20,000 Colorado homeowners locked out of controlling their own "smart" thermostats during heat wave.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/energy-company-locks-smart-thermostats

Glad I never bought one.  Came very close to doing so... 

Seems like almost daily there is a new example of things that make no sense or are signs we are heading in the wrong direction. Energy insecurity, inflation, Global food shortages, it just never ends.

• Like 4