Stories That Make You Shake Your Head At The World

1 minute ago, Madison22 said:

Up to 6.4 million illegal immigrants per year coming into US. 

For context, the entire population of Wisconsin is 5.9 million.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11530059/Astonishingly-EASIER-illegal-migrants-enter-TODD-BENSMAN.html

Better brush up on your Spanish, while you’re at it you might want to learn some Mandarin.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Chinese are setting up police stations in other countries.  Over 100 of them all over the world. 

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/fbi-director-very-concerned-by-chinese-police-stations-us-2022-11-17/

I am not surprised that these exist, but they should not. I’m sure they have them in NYC right under the NYPD’s noses. 

The reasons they give for them are not legit though, that’s what embassies are there for. 

• Like 1

Not sure where to put this but the death of a child is something to shake you head at the world. I hope this turns into a story that warms your heart. Help us in sending birthday thoughts to this brave little 4 year old girl battling brain cancer. This Friday will be her 5th and according to doctors final birthday. I came across this and immediately went out got a card and gift for her and her family. Hopefully Hoosier Nation can help shower this girl with birthday cards, well wishes and most importantly the power of prayer. This one has broken this old heart. 

https://share.newsbreak.com/2jp2fof5

• Sad 5

As woke tech companies preach to others about being green and sustainable, each of Google's average data centers uses 450,000 gallons of water per day to cool servers.

One Google city in Iowa used 845 million gallons of water in just one year.

Nationwide, it was 3.4 billion gallons in one year.

In Oregon, Google wants to tap the Columbia River for more water.

I understand large international companies require resources to function.  Just don't lecture others about the environment while you do it.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/google-data-center-gobbled-up-nearly-300-million-gallons-of-oregon-citys-water-amidst-droughts

• Like 5

34 minutes ago, Madison22 said:

As woke tech companies preach to others about being green and sustainable, each of Google's average data centers uses 450,000 gallons of water per day to cool servers.

One Google city in Iowa used 845 million gallons of water in just one year.

Nationwide, it was 3.4 billion gallons in one year.

In Oregon, Google wants to tap the Columbia River for more water.

I understand large international companies require resources to function.  Just don't lecture others about the environment while you do it.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/google-data-center-gobbled-up-nearly-300-million-gallons-of-oregon-citys-water-amidst-droughts

Data centers are very energy intensive. Even worse is crypto.

And that seems like a lot until you realize that Nestle siphoned off 45 million gallons from ONE creek in California in one year. This is Nestle taking water meant for all and packaging it for profit. 

Or, Nestlé pumps more than 130 million gallons of water a year from one well near a northwestern Michigan town.

Add up all of these towns across the US to get the final number for Nestle. It FAR exceeds anything that Google could ever dream of consuming.   

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

Data centers are very energy intensive. Even worse is crypto.

And that seems like a lot until you realize that Nestle siphoned off 45 million gallons from ONE creek in California in one year. This is Nestle taking water meant for all and packaging it for profit. 

Or, Nestlé pumps more than 130 million gallons of water a year from one well near a northwestern Michigan town.

Add up all of these towns across the US to get the final number for Nestle. It FAR exceeds anything that Google could ever dream of consuming.   

I've been delving into the privatization of water.  Some people who stand to profit don't think access to water is a public right. I'm convinced they would tax or charge us for air if they could. 

Globally it's the scarcest commodity and the most important to sustaining life. Waterways are also our most vulnerable and fragile ecosystems. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I've been delving into the privatization of water.  Some people who stand to profit don't think access to water is a public right. I'm convinced they would tax or charge us for air if they could. 

Globally it's the scarcest commodity and the most important to sustaining life. Waterways are also our most vulnerable and fragile ecosystems. 

It’s pretty crazy when you look into it. I refuse to buy bottled water for the most part, but never from Nestle brands. 

It blows my mind that we have let them take a public commodity, and profit off of it to the extent that they have. 

• Like 1

On 12/17/2022 at 11:13 AM, Lostin76 said:

It’s pretty crazy when you look into it. I refuse to buy bottled water for the most part, but never from Nestle brands. 

It blows my mind that we have let them take a public commodity, and profit off of it to the extent that they have. 

Not a fan of bottled water either. I don't want microplastics floating through my blood. I don't see how Nestle is different from any others though. If the aquifer in MI can be proven large enough to handle it, that makes much more sense than diverting water from out West where it is badly needed for so many other uses. I don't see why CA can't 1) build a desalination plant and 2) collect more of the water that  they let flow into the ocean.

26 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Not a fan of bottled water either. I don't want microplastics floating through my blood. I don't see how Nestle is different from any others though. If the aquifer in MI can be proven large enough to handle it, that makes much more sense than diverting water from out West where it is badly needed for so many other uses. I don't see why CA can't 1) build a desalination plant and 2) collect more of the water that  they let flow into the ocean.

Yeah, the microplastics are not great either. We have some of the best tap water in the US here in NYC - it comes from the Adirondacks and Catskills. So, we normally just drink chilled tap water from a glass. I have an aluminum bottle that I use at work. 

Also, I try not to read too much about the aquafier situation out West anymore. I read a long form article a few years ago that damn near traumatized me just thinking about it. The West has got to figure that stuff out and soon. 

19 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Saw a math riddle video this morning asking what can you place between a 3 and a 9 to get a number larger than 3 and smaller than 9. 

Most of the people commenting were certain it was a minus symbol. 

Crap that took me way too long to come up with the answer! Dang Covid brain fog!