Stories That Make You Shake Your Head At The World

On 2/5/2023 at 10:18 AM, mrflynn03 said:

Lets hope the Norks dont order any balloons for weather experiments because now they have a potential delivery system and SOPs on how to use it.  

This balloon saga just keeps getting weirder. The payload was the size of a jetliner and it was rigged with explosives. And we let it fly over the entire country. Wtf? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Reacher said:

This balloon saga just keeps getting weirder. The payload was the size of a jetliner and it was rigged with explosives. And we let it fly over the entire country. Wtf? 

Something else I thought of based on china's response to shooting it down. Whether intended or not I wonder if this will be used as a pretext for attacking our ships or aircraft that get too close to them. "You shoot down barroon, we shoot down prane."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Reacher said:

Pretty crazy. And it sounds like it’s happened a few times before. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/06/us/politics/china-spy-balloon-trump-administration.html

2 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Pretty crazy. And it sounds like it’s happened a few times before. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/06/us/politics/china-spy-balloon-trump-administration.html

I wouldn't put much credence in the NYT story with "anonymous sources.  I think they are just being fed a story. I was just reading that the NYT validated the Hunter Biden laptop story from the beginning yet waited 500 days before coming out with it. That is not responsible journalism. General Mattis, Trump and others both denied past balloons. We'll see if anything comes from the call for a congressional investigation into why the US intelligence community failed to inform the sitting administration of foreign spy craft transiting over US airspace.

Edited by Reacher
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I wouldn't put much credence in the NYT story with "anonymous sources.  I think they are just being fed a story. I was just reading that the NYT validated the Hunter Biden laptop story from the beginning yet waited 500 days before coming out with it. That is not responsible journalism. General Mattis, Trump and others both denied past balloons. 

The April 2022 report titled “People’s Republic of China High-Altitude Balloon,” found a Chinese spy balloon “circumnavigated the globe” in 2019 at an altitude of roughly 65,000 feet, and “drifted past Hawaii and across Florida before continuing its journey,” the US Air Force document states.

That said, does it matter that this happened during the Trump or Biden administrations? No. What matters is that the intelligence community has made it a priority to better surveil our airspace (because of instances like the above), which lead to the detection of other balloons. The secondary concern with the news/political culture is that China is the enemy - they are the ones spying on us! However, the primary concern with a majority of the coverage seems to be in the form of finger pointing. One side would rather point blame at the other side for 'letting it happen', while the other side defends themselves by pointing blame/hypocrisy back because it already has been happening.

I'm so tired of this game.

(not directed at Reacher or Lost - just venting)

Our culture in a nut shell.....

-Bully trips Person 1 on the street
-5 minutes later the bully trips person 2.
-Person 1 says to person 2: you're an idiot, why did you let the bully trip you
-Person 2 responds: but that same bully tripped you 5 minutes ago, dummy.
-Person 1 says: but that is different and doesn't negate the fact that you are an idiot. 
-Person 2 says: NO - YOU are the idiot.
-Person 1 and 2 get into a fight
-Meanwhile, the bully wipes his hands clean and walks away

9 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

The April 2022 report titled “People’s Republic of China High-Altitude Balloon,” found a Chinese spy balloon “circumnavigated the globe” in 2019 at an altitude of roughly 65,000 feet, and “drifted past Hawaii and across Florida before continuing its journey,” the US Air Force document states.

That said, does it matter that this happened during the Trump or Biden administrations? No. What matters is that the intelligence community has made it a priority to better surveil our airspace (because of instances like the above), which lead to the detection of other balloons. The secondary concern with the news/political culture is that China is the enemy - they are the ones spying on us! However, the primary concern with a majority of the coverage seems to be in the form of finger pointing. One side would rather point blame at the other side for 'letting it happen', while the other side defends themselves by pointing blame/hypocrisy back because it already has been happening.

-Person 1 says: but that is different and doesn't negate the fact that you are an idiot. 

I think you forgot the part where the bully threatened 1 and 2 because he has a scuff on his shoe.

3 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

China is the enemy, they have been years.  They have really only been relevant since the 90's.  They've been imbedding spies in our government and infiltrating our educational institutions stealing or bribing for intellectual property and intelligence.  They are the biggest threat to world peace and currently the worst violators of human rights. 

China's singular goal is to be the world's only superpower.  They believe it is their rightful place. If they had to destroy themselves along with everybody else first in order to do it they would. 

The people who are capable of doing anything who aren't already compromised by the ccp better understand Chinas motivations. 

MacArthur was right. We should have bombed them back into the stone age in 1951

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I think you forgot the part where the bully threatened 1 and 2 because he has a scuff on his shoe.

Chinese censors blocked Winnie the Pooh a few years ago because people were using Pooh to make fun of Xi.

Anyone that sensitive deserves to be made fun of relentlessly.

CCP is the definition of bully. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

China is the enemy, they have been years.  They have really only been relevant since the 90's.  They've been imbedding spies in our government and infiltrating our educational institutions stealing or bribing for intellectual property and intelligence.  They are the biggest threat to world peace and currently the worst violators of human rights. 

China's singular goal is to be the world's only superpower.  They believe it is their rightful place. If they had to destroy themselves along with everybody else first in order to do it they would. 

The people who are capable of doing anything who aren't already compromised by the ccp better understand Chinas motivations. 

MacArthur was right. We should have bombed them back into the stone age in 1951

I agree with everything except the last line - that action would make us just as worse as what China is trying to become. No? 

(I'm DMing you a super interesting podcast about this)

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

I agree with everything accept the last line, except that - that action would make us just as worse as what China is trying to become. No? 

(I'm DMing you a super interesting podcast about this)

MacArthur did get relieved of his duties for suggesting that so yeah it wouldn't have been a solution. 

China does have an interesting history. I wonder how many people know their government wasn't communist until 1949.  Or that Japan was invading China before Hitler rolled over Poland.  People probably don't know why there is the tension between them and Taiwan.  

On a human level I would imagine a lot of chinese people would embrace western style representation and individual freedom. They have an amazingly high personal savings rate and their government encourages personal precious metal investments.

Sorry all if I veered into political territory. Just pointing out that it is crazy it happened now and had before. I think the NYT article also mentioned it happened before this one on Biden’s watch. Don’t really care who was president. Should not be happening at all. 

• Like 1

This dude needs to be tied to a fence and beaten to death by anyone who wants to take a swing. 

As Tyre Nichols sat propped against a police car, bloodied, dazed and handcuffed after being beaten by a group of Memphis police officers, one of those officers took a picture of him and sent it to at least five people, the Memphis Police Department said in a document released by the state on Tuesday.

The document was sent to the Tennessee Peace Officer Standards and Training Commission as part of a request last month for the regulatory agency to decertify five officers involved in the beating. Those officers have since been fired and charged with second-degree murder in Mr. Nichols’s death. 

The decertification, which was requested by Chief Cerelyn Davis of the Memphis police, would make the fired officers ineligible to work as police officers in the state.

In the newly released documents, police officials said that one of the five officers, Demetrius Haley, admitted to sending a photograph of Mr. Nichols to at least five people, including two fellow officers, a civilian employee of the department and a female acquaintance. A sixth person also received the photo, the records state.

8 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I think when they get to prison eventually they're in for a really bad time. Can't protect them forever. 

I hope they really do get to prison. This was a particularly bad one. I hope they get to prison and “accidentally forgot about in the yard” for a few hours. 

I’m the first to admit that I have a complicated relationship with the police, but I’ve known some amazing men and women who were on the force. They never would have beaten someone like that and NEVER would have texted the photos for high fives. Just disgusting human beings who should not be able to have a moments peace the rest of their miserable lives. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

I hope they really do get to prison. This was a particularly bad one. I hope they get to prison and “accidentally forgot about in the yard” for a few hours. 

I’m the first to admit that I have a complicated relationship with the police, but I’ve known some amazing men and women who were on the force. They never would have beaten someone like that and NEVER would have texted the photos for high fives. Just disgusting human beings who should not be able to have a moments peace the rest of their miserable lives. 

Did you see the videos?

Just now, mrflynn03 said:

Did you see the videos?

Yeah, I saw most of them. Too much really to stomach. Dude was just trying to get home.

Seems like it’s coming out that that “special” unit was really into beatings. I think they should get to enjoy many more beatings - but on the receiving end. Come and hang out on a Brooklyn street corner and see how that plays. 

• Like 1

US Energy Secretary met with a group, linked to China, who put out a "study" saying gas stoves are dangerous and therefore future use should be banned. Basically, we shouldn't rely on our cheap, plentiful and reliable natural gas but instead on Chinese solar and what is becoming increasingly unreliable and expensive electric. Shaking my head at the world over this one. https://www.foxnews.com/politics/bidens-energy-secretary-met-china-connected-group-funded-study-used-justify-gas-stove-ban

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I am all for better energy sources, but have no problem with gas stoves. Most people don’t. I think the studies are not strong enough to warrant outlawing gas stoves, or honestly restricting them in any way. 

I feel like I lost brain cells reading that though. 

"Suffice it to say, ‘ridiculous’ and ‘not true’ proposals don’t ordinarily involve a meeting with the Secretary of Energy — and where there’s smoke, there’s fire," Sutherland added. "Americans everywhere must demand Granholm and green energy extremists stay out of their kitchens.”

This is just deeply silly and unserious.

Another high altitude flying object shot down by F22 over Canada today. 

So, since Chinese spy balloon and the SOTU pebble flexing on potecting sovereignty after embarrassingly failing at that, there have been 2 more objects shot down and an unarmed ICBM launched into the pacific.  Overcompensating for getting egg in the face it seems. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Airspace shut down over Northern Lake Michigan today and another high altitude object shot down. 

Can they wag the dog any harder?  It's a miracle they now all the sudden have the capability to spot all these objects.  

Have to try to make their stories make sense I guess. 

• Like 2

On a darker note and mods feel free to put me in time out. After watching the game live yesterday I’m feeling a bit frisky!

Yesterday’s game aside, but am I the only one that got a sense of anti white men with the Super Bowl entertainment tonight? The singing of America the Beautiful, the all female flyover, if there was a white man in the halftime show I missed it! (Have to temper this as I thought that was one of the best halftime shows ever and I do like Briana’s music!)

You can go back to some ancient posts and realize I’m not one of those. More because I’m aware I see it for what it is, and racism goes both ways!

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

On a darker note and mods feel free to put me in time out. After watching the game live yesterday I’m feeling a bit frisky!

Yesterday’s game aside, but am I the only one that got a sense of anti white men with the Super Bowl entertainment tonight? The singing of America the Beautiful, the all female flyover, if there was a white man in the halftime show I missed it! (Have to temper this as I thought that was one of the best halftime shows ever and I do like Briana’s music!)

You can go back to some ancient posts and realize I’m not one of those. More because I’m aware I see it for what it is, and racism goes both ways!

I will only say one thing. And if you're interested in my complete thoughts I'll discuss in DM.  

Nothing has ever been perfect and never will be. But in my lifetime(born 1985), mid 90's(right after Rodney King and OJ trial) until about mid 2000's I really felt like race relations had improved greatly. And before anyone says I was never exposed because small town rural Indiana blah blah, ask me about Daviess County and Washington Indiana history first.

Anyway, in 2023, I feel like we have regressed to at least Jim Crow era but probably further back than that. 

You aren't wrong @Drroogh.  Shit ain't right. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 2