Stories That Make You Shake Your Head At The World

My PMs won't send for some reason so I copy and pasted.  

this subject is taboo but it shouldn't be. It's a very serious development.  So many people of all colors worked so hard to make things better. Spent decades, a lifetime and it's being flushed down the toilet.  It's a travesty and a dishonor to them. 

I encourage everyone to look up Joe Rogan interviewing Daryl Davis on his podcast clips on YouTube 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 2

This is looking to potentially be a big story. Likely one of the worst industrial accidents in US history but not much news about it yet.  Water, soil, animals and our food supply may be heavily contaminated.

https://nypost.com/2023/02/10/animals-sick-dying-near-east-palestine-ohio-train-crash/

Edited by Reacher
  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, Reacher said:

This is looking to potentially be a big story. Likely one of the worst industrial accidents in US history but not much news about it yet.  Water, soil, animals and our food supply may be heavily contaminated.

https://nypost.com/2023/02/10/animals-sick-dying-near-east-palestine-ohio-train-crash/

Glad someone is posting about this. Seems like a much bigger deal than the attention it’s getting. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Hey @Lostin76hope that UHaul scene wasn't close to you or anyone you know this morning. Scary stuff.

Further south in Brooklyn from us, but boy that doesn’t sound good. Drivers are pretty much unhinged in the city over the last year or so. Never seen such anger or asshattery. 

This happened about ten days ago. Person rams guy on a cargo bike, knocking the guys’ dog out of the basket and then rams the bike again as they sped off. 

We’ve started really trying to watch what intersections we cross and always give drivers at least 10 seconds after the red light before we cross. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

23 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Yet you have states (Oregon) legalizing certain drugs (Herion, Cocaine) in stipulated amounts ...

Unbelieveable...

I smoked for 34 years...Quit on my 50th birthday...Glad I did, and wish I would have done it sooner, but as long as people smoke in designated areas, go right ahead...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

Further south in Brooklyn from us, but boy that doesn’t sound good. Drivers are pretty much unhinged in the city over the last year or so. Never seen such anger or asshattery. 

This happened about ten days ago. Person rams guy on a cargo bike, knocking the guys’ dog out of the basket and then rams the bike again as they sped off. 

We’ve started really trying to watch what intersections we cross and always give drivers at least 10 seconds after the red light before we cross. 

Understand and glad that wasn't near you guys. I spent 2 years there right after IU. Even in 1997 Green doesn't mean go...only imagine it now.

That video is just plain awful. My cousin was a bike enthusiast....now the only time they ride is if they load bikes up and go somewhere away from city. I'm afraid NYC/Manhattan is breaking them down. Starting to look for jobs out West. 

Fallout from the train derailment accident... There are videos on twitter of some company pulling dead fish from a creek / river coming out of East Palestine. I'm glad they are on this so quick. If birds and other animals were eating these contaminated fish, it would just spread farther and faster. Just goes to show you how bad the contamination must be. 

10 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Fallout from the train derailment accident... There are videos on twitter of some company pulling dead fish from a creek / river coming out of East Palestine. I'm glad they are on this so quick. If birds and other animals were eating these contaminated fish, it would just spread farther and faster. Just goes to show you how bad the contamination must be. 

No clue to the depths of how big this will be but my wife's firm handled our own local version. White River fish kill. Takes decades to return the waters and fish/animals back to normal. 

• Sad 1

26 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

No clue to the depths of how big this will be but my wife's firm handled our own local version. White River fish kill. Takes decades to return the waters and fish/animals back to normal. 

I remember that. We were advised down in Daviess County to not fish in the white river. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Yet you have states (Oregon) legalizing certain drugs (Herion, Cocaine) in stipulated amounts ...

Unbelieveable...

I smoked for 34 years...Quit on my 50th birthday...Glad I did, and wish I would have done it sooner, but as long as people smoke in designated areas, go right ahead...

I used to chew pouch tobacco.  I quit because I told my wife when we were dating that I had quit. So I really had no choice. And they tax the crap out of it. Which leads to other problems like NYC created with cigarette smuggling. 

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Understand and glad that wasn't near you guys. I spent 2 years there right after IU. Even in 1997 Green doesn't mean go...only imagine it now.

That video is just plain awful. My cousin was a bike enthusiast....now the only time they ride is if they load bikes up and go somewhere away from city. I'm afraid NYC/Manhattan is breaking them down. Starting to look for jobs out West. 

Yeah, my wife gets so nervous if I’m commuting on my bike. I always just assume that every car is out to intentionally kill me or maim me. I also don’t really engage with crazy anymore. Drivers will run you over and not stop. Pretty often they have obscured or NO PLATES on their cars to evade school zone camera tickets.

I think Manhattan is definitely falling apart at the seams in many ways. The number of times I’ve almost stepped in human shit in the subway has went from never to a few times a week now. 

We feel pretty isolated in our neighborhood, but when we go into Manhattan it’s just a different world these days. I’ve always hated Manhattan, but now there is nothing there for me. My wife still likes to go to shows/plays/museums, etc. So we’ll be here for a bit longer. 

There is a lot to be said for living here, but I can see why people feel the need to leave. Aren’t your cousin and their family in upper Manhattan?

• Like 1

I'm guessing it's not being covered because of failures on multiple levels from operators to the RR company and authorities decisions on how to handle the cleanup.

Apparently this train traveled for up to 20 miles with an axle failure on one of the cars. I read they're already finding contaminated water in the Ohio as far as West Virginia. 

7 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I saw the clip several times and I couldn’t believe that the cop would follow the guy down the sidewalk. Could have hit more people. The street parallel to the sidewalk was clear. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I saw the clip several times and I couldn’t believe that the cop would follow the guy down the sidewalk. Could have hit more people. The street parallel to the sidewalk was clear. 

Yeah, that was a head scratcher. But as The Strokes once so eloquently sang back in the day:

New York City cops, New York City cops
New York City cops, but they ain't too smart