Stories That Make You Shake Your Head At The World

9 hours ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Another active shooter... this one at Michigan State.

It just... doesn't stop.

😞

Yesterday, my daughter, who is a junior in high school, got a packet of information from on of the primary colleges she is interested in.  It's in a different part of the country, and we talked about the advantages and disadvantages that entails

This morning, we're having a conversation about how a parent reacts when something like MSU happens.  I let her know regardless if how far away from home, MSU, etc. she may be, if something like that happens when she's away from me, she's getting a call/text.

That said, I worry about the psychological effect this has on her.  She went from being super-excited about college yesterday to apprehensive less than 12 hours later.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Yesterday, my daughter, who is a junior in high school, got a packet of information from on of the primary colleges she is interested in.  It's in a different part of the country, and we talked about the advantages and disadvantages that entails

This morning, we're having a conversation about how a parent reacts when something like MSU happens.  I let her know regardless if how far away from home, MSU, etc. she may be, if something like that happens when she's away from me, she's getting a call/text.

That said, I worry about the psychological effect this has on her.  She went from being super-excited about college yesterday to apprehensive less than 12 hours later.

It’s a very odd world that these kids are having to grow up in. I don’t envy them. Just yesterday, I kept seeing the headlines about how many young women/teenage girls are depressed and or suicidal. More so than boys. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

It’s a very odd world that these kids are having to grow up in. I don’t envy them. Just yesterday, I kept seeing the headlines about how many young women/teenage girls are depressed and or suicidal. More so than boys. 

Until we address the mental health and addiction issues many people are facing, we're probably going to see more of this...

Makes me sad that a lot people aren't getting the treatment they desperately need... 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Yeah, my wife gets so nervous if I’m commuting on my bike. I always just assume that every car is out to intentionally kill me or maim me. I also don’t really engage with crazy anymore. Drivers will run you over and not stop. Pretty often they have obscured or NO PLATES on their cars to evade school zone camera tickets.

I think Manhattan is definitely falling apart at the seams in many ways. The number of times I’ve almost stepped in human shit in the subway has went from never to a few times a week now. 

We feel pretty isolated in our neighborhood, but when we go into Manhattan it’s just a different world these days. I’ve always hated Manhattan, but now there is nothing there for me. My wife still likes to go to shows/plays/museums, etc. So we’ll be here for a bit longer. 

There is a lot to be said for living here, but I can see why people feel the need to leave. Aren’t your cousin and their family in upper Manhattan?

Yep. They moved last year to the I think 60's or 70's on West Side. They just aren't feeling it anymore. Safety, crime, costs,etc.....plus all the things you mentioned. World class cities will always remain world class but some of these cities really are going to take some time to get back to pre covid normalcy.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Until we address the mental health and addiction issues many people are facing, we're probably going to see more of this...

Makes me sad that a lot people aren't getting the treatment they desperately need... 

My nephew is at a small Christian college in Indiana.   He claims 100% of his freshmen male dorm vapes and smokes weed, being close to the Michigan border they can get some potent stuff.  Point is, these half developed brains of theirs are getting instant dopamine kicks from the vape and their devices.  As much as they need treatment, they need discipline, self control, and restraint.  But yes truly there is a severe need for mental health treatment for many.  There was a back to back suicide at a college just last week.  Terribly sad.  

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Shooter was a convicted felon 

First question, where'd he get the gun? 

Probably his dad's gun. 

I think a lot of people would be surprised to know that cops don't care that much about felons in possession. At least that's what an asst. Cheif told me when I took possession of a felons guns that were confiscated. It's one of the charges they stick on when you get busted for something else. 

Felonies being a disqualifier didn't exist until the 1968 gun control act. Felons in possession is federal law that states kind of abide by. 

Edited by mrflynn03
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Probably his dad's gun. 

I think a lot of people would be surprised to know that cops don't care that much about felons in possession. At least that's what an asst. Cheif told me when I took possession of a felons guns that were confiscated. It's one of the charges they stick on when you get busted for something else. 

Felonies being a disqualifier didn't exist until the 1968 gun control act. Felons in possession is federal law that states kind of abide by. 

Some of the stuff that's gone on lately maybe they'd better start taking it a bit more seriously...

That and people who let felons or people with mental issues have access to their legally owned firearms... 

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Some of the stuff that's gone on lately maybe they'd better start taking it a bit more seriously...

That and people who let felons or people with mental issues have access to their legally owned firearms... 

I agree there is a lot that needs to be taken seriously. They can start by funding mental health services and raising awareness of organizations and options. 

I'm not sure how much cops can do. If I had a felon in my house I could own my own guns as long as I had a safe and controlled access. They can't just go in and search someone's house without a warrant and depending where you are a warrant might be hard to get. 

My mom rented her garage apartment to a guy and discovered he started dealing meth. Cops wouldn't do anything unless she could provide evidence of a deal. She went through the eviction process and that took 6 months.  

As for people having personal responsibility, I have no frickin clue.

Part of the problem with police is lowering the admission standards because nobody wants to do it. Smaller communities are doing fine with their departments but larger cities struggle due to funding and frankly these defend the police protests and narratives target metro police departments because nothing real serious happens in smaller communities for the most part. 

Police are not legally obligated to save your life or protect you. You really are on your own if the shtf.

17 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

My mom rented her garage apartment to a guy and discovered he started dealing meth. Cops wouldn't do anything unless she could provide evidence of a deal. She went through the eviction process and that took 6 months.  

This is Exhibit A of how our system is broken.  By protecting some meth-heads rights, the system tramples all over your mother's.

It's ridiculous.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

This is Exhibit A of how our system is broken.  By protecting some meth-heads rights, the system tramples all over your mother's.

It's ridiculous.

She thought about taking some paraphernalia that was laying out in the open but was worried the cops would think it was hers if she took it to them. 

4 hours ago, 5fouls said:

That is sad and frustrating on so many levels. Going through the college decision-making process is exciting (and stressful) because there are so many options and opportunities to explore, both practically and esoterically. It's such a unique time to think about our futures and the possibilities that lie ahead... certainly the butterfly effect of making a choice of school and where that leads us is amplified during this time.

For there to be an added level of hesitation, and the possibility of eliminating certain options because of safety is just sad on a deeper level. I feel for you and your daughter, and it really sucks that such considerations must be taken into account.

The psychological fear generated by the prospect of violence can cause people to retract and consolidate, which in turn can keep people from exploring and opening up, leading to more division. (Not saying that's her/you!, just a general observation.)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

That is sad and frustrating on so many levels. Going through the college decision-making process is exciting (and stressful) because there are so many options and opportunities to explore, both practically and esoterically. It's such a unique time to think about our futures and the possibilities that lie ahead... certainly the butterfly effect of making a choice of school and where that leads us is amplified during this time.

For there to be an added level of hesitation, and the possibility of eliminating certain options because of safety is just sad on a deeper level. I feel for you and your daughter, and it really sucks that such considerations must be taken into account.

The psychological fear generated by the prospect of violence can cause people to retract and consolidate, which in turn can keep people from exploring and opening up, leading to more division. (Not saying that's her/you!, just a general observation.)

She's had this vision of what she wants for a long time.  Now, when it's getting close to making a decision to fulfill that vision, we have events like Idaho and MSU.  

I really hope this doesnt cause her to pull back and choose to stay closer to home, because that's not who she's dreamed of being.  

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

There's no doubt mental health and addiction issues are prevalent and in need of addressing, but it's also a bit reductive to place extreme violence directly on their doorstep.

Raising kids to be good humans is hard work. It's the toughest job out there because there is no one way, and certainly not a "one size fits all" approach. At our human core, we all just want to be loved and cared about and when we're not, that's when doubt, frustrations, jealousy, envy and hate seep in. And it's not like that stuff comes in waves, but rather over long periods of time, relentlessly and consistently, unless it's addressed and checked.

I think about this constantly as I'm parenting my two kiddos (7 & 5). I'm always cognizant of their mental health and how they are interacting with the world, me, their mom, each other, and most importantly themselves. It's important to me that they love who they are and are comfortable in their own skin. I don't want them to feel like they need to seek outside approval to fill a void (of inadequacy or whatever); but to rather truly believe they are good enough and they matter.

I type all of that because I'm not sure everyone gets that. I'm not trying to pat myself on the back or say I'm better than anyone else because of my parental viewpoints, but I do think the time and energy spent addressing these types of things will positively affect them (at least that's my hope!). Not everyone has been able to receive that attention (I didn't when I was younger), nor are they able to always give that attention as a parent (we have jobs, financial pressures, stresses and our own lives to live too!!)

This isn't sappy to me, but I do believe we need to live with more love and acknowledgment of our collective humanity. It starts early. It's hard work. It doesn't stop. But it's so necessary.

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

She's had this vision of what she wants for a long time.  Now, when it's getting close to making a decision to fulfill that vision, we have events like Idaho and MSU.  

I really hope this doesnt cause her to pull back and choose to stay closer to home, because that's not who she's dreamed of being.  

That breaks my heart. The World is full of wonder and possibility. Going "out there" and finding ourselves is one of the greatest things we can do. I get that traveling and being far from family isn't for everyone, but to eliminate the possibility before it's even there is tough.

I remember being frustrated with one of my HS best friends, who had a chance to go to college in Brooklyn and he chose to stay local in Indiana. My position was "You already know what this is like, go out there and experience something so totally different! You'll either reinforce your love of Indiana or you'll find a new place that you like too."

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, MoyeCowbell said:

There's no doubt mental health and addiction issues are prevalent and in need of addressing, but it's also a bit reductive to place extreme violence directly on their doorstep.

Raising kids to be good humans is hard work. It's the toughest job out there because there is no one way, and certainly not a "one size fits all" approach. At our human core, we all just want to be loved and cared about and when we're not, that's when doubt, frustrations, jealousy, envy and hate seep in. And it's not like that stuff comes in waves, but rather over long periods of time, relentlessly and consistently, unless it's addressed and checked.

I think about this constantly as I'm parenting my two kiddos (7 & 5). I'm always cognizant of their mental health and how they are interacting with the world, me, their mom, each other, and most importantly themselves. It's important to me that they love who they are and are comfortable in their own skin. I don't want them to feel like they need to seek outside approval to fill a void (of inadequacy or whatever); but to rather truly believe they are good enough and they matter.

I type all of that because I'm not sure everyone gets that. I'm not trying to pat myself on the back or say I'm better than anyone else because of my parental viewpoints, but I do think the time and energy spent addressing these types of things will positively affect them (at least that's my hope!). Not everyone has been able to receive that attention (I didn't when I was younger), nor are they able to always give that attention as a parent (we have jobs, financial pressures, stresses and our own lives to live too!!)

This isn't sappy to me, but I do believe we need to live with more love and acknowledgment of our collective humanity. It starts early. It's hard work. It doesn't stop. But it's so necessary.

I agree that parenting is the most difficult job there is...

And I also agree that attention is the most important thing you can give your children... Essential to their growth and development...

But in today's society we need to let kids be kids, and not burden them with adult issues...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I know it's frustrating and emotional but the only thing I can think of is you can't allow the actions of others to dictate your decisions.  No matter where she ends up there will be risks and a shooting would be at the bottom for me. Things like Idaho usually have a connection between the victim and perp. 

There have been 11 documented shootings on college campuses with 3 or more fatalities since 1966.  It's a statistically rare event.