Stories That Make You Shake Your Head At The World

Uh, I don't know what to say here...  

Leather-clad 'Mistress' asks Florida city commission to build sex 'dungeon' for 'doms' and 'subs' 

Her closing statement is one for the ages...

"In closing, do not let this glamorous look distract you from doing your duty to take my demand," she told the panel. "I look forward to spanking each and every single one of you at the new, esteemed dungeon. You are dismissed."

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Leather-clad 'Mistress' asks Florida city commission to build sex 'dungeon' for 'doms' and 'subs' 

"In closing, do not let this glamorous look distract you from doing your duty to take my demand," she told the panel. "I look forward to spanking each and every single one of you at the new, esteemed dungeon. You are dismissed."

Love me some Lauderdale...and with stories like this I'm always curious how they could have fired our good buddy Larry Scirotto. He actually seems sane. 

56 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I'm down! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I say, I like her moxie and confidence. But no spankings for me please. 

• Haha 1

On 12/17/2022 at 12:00 PM, mrflynn03 said:

I've been delving into the privatization of water.  Some people who stand to profit don't think access to water is a public right. I'm convinced they would tax or charge us for air if they could. 

Globally it's the scarcest commodity and the most important to sustaining life. Waterways are also our most vulnerable and fragile ecosystems. 

il_794xN.2445629198_bmp8.jpg

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

Newport News is craphole. Shootings like this don't happen in places that aren't. 

The teacher survived and is recovering.  It was the boys moms 9mm handgun. 

I love me some 2nd amendment. More importantly I love me some SAFE and RESPONSIBLE 2nd amendment. And that means keeping your firearm in a locked safe (preferably w/a biometric lock) ESPECIALLY when there are children in the household. Hiding it in the closet, in a nightstand, under the mattress, etc is a perfect ‘treasure hunt’ for the snooping child.  I don’t know the details of the case but assuming the firearm wasn’t locked up, then the mom should be held liable.  I know in Delaware there’s a law for this…but VA is certainly not DE.  Terrible scenario all around. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Naturalhoosier said:

I love me some 2nd amendment. More importantly I love me some SAFE and RESPONSIBLE 2nd amendment. And that means keeping your firearm in a locked safe (preferably w/a biometric lock) ESPECIALLY when there are children in the household. Hiding it in the closet, in a nightstand, under the mattress, etc is a perfect ‘treasure hunt’ for the snooping child.  I don’t know the details of the case but assuming the firearm wasn’t locked up, then the mom should be held liable.  I know in Delaware there’s a law for this…but VA is certainly not DE.  Terrible scenario all around. 

I'm as 2A as it gets. And I agree. If I had kids there would be an entire different level of security in my house. Growing up I had access to whatever I wanted whenever.  My uncle had a gun store so that includes NFA stuff. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Another mass shooting. This one in Monterey Park, a city 10 miles east of LA.

Turned on CBS to catch the IU-MSU game and the local news has taken over... just a terrible situation all around.

So thankful my grandsons and family live on the other side of the Saddleback mountains! Stay safe @MoyeCowbell

4 hours ago, MoyeCowbell said:

Another mass shooting. This one in Monterey Park, a city 10 miles east of LA.

Turned on CBS to catch the IU-MSU game and the local news has taken over... just a terrible situation all around.

What’s most sickening about this one is that they were just trying to celebrate an important occasion. But some asshat couldn’t abide by that. Just horrible. 

• Sad 1

22 hours ago, 5fouls said:

The US has to have the dumbest population of any country in the world. How can so many of us succumb to such stupid conspiracy theories? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Lostin76 said:

The US has to have the dumbest population of any country in the world. How can so many of us succumb to such stupid conspiracy theories? 

How much time do you have?  This is just one possibility.  Daniel Kahneman wrote a book "Thinking fast, thinking slow" I have on my reading list. I think most people either don't have much of system 2 or fail to engage it. 

One thing that stuck out to me at my college graduation.  There were about 3000 graduates total and maybe 60-70 of us were from the School of Science and Engineering.  In my introductory to biology class, probably 75% dropped it and went to the liberal arts school because intro biology was too hard. 

I think most people are shallow thinkers and prefer being spoon fed information.  

Gullibility occurs because we have evolved to deal with information using two fundamentally different systems, according to Nobel Prize winning psychologist Daniel Kahneman.

System 1 thinking is fast, automatic, intuitive, uncritical and promotes accepting anecdotal and personal information as true. This was a useful and adaptive processing strategy in our ancestral environment of small, face-to-face groups, where trust was based on life-long relationships. However, this kind of thinking can be dangerous in the anonymous online world.

System 2 thinking is a much more recent human achievement; it is slow, analytical, rational and effortful, and leads to the thorough evaluation of incoming information.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

How much time do you have?  This is just one possibility.  Daniel Kahneman wrote a book "Thinking fast, thinking slow" I have on my reading list. I think most people either don't have much of system 2 or fail to engage it. 

One thing that stuck out to me at my college graduation.  There were about 3000 graduates total and maybe 60-70 of us were from the School of Science and Engineering.  In my introductory to biology class, probably 75% dropped it and went to the liberal arts school because intro biology was too hard. 

I think most people are shallow thinkers and prefer being spoon fed information.  

Gullibility occurs because we have evolved to deal with information using two fundamentally different systems, according to Nobel Prize winning psychologist Daniel Kahneman.

System 1 thinking is fast, automatic, intuitive, uncritical and promotes accepting anecdotal and personal information as true. This was a useful and adaptive processing strategy in our ancestral environment of small, face-to-face groups, where trust was based on life-long relationships. However, this kind of thinking can be dangerous in the anonymous online world.

System 2 thinking is a much more recent human achievement; it is slow, analytical, rational and effortful, and leads to the thorough evaluation of incoming information.

Remember a good friend or mine in high school, one day he left me alone in his room. Saw a wood puzzle in his desk, took me about 2 minutes to put it together. He came back in and was pissed because I had done so easily what he couldn’t!

He ended up being my boss for a short time. I guess being an A$$hole graduate from PU means something, if not the ability to actually solve problems!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I think you touched on some important things in your post. Shallow thinking and gullibility are a problem. 

But I also think many of us want to believe things that agree with our world view, no matter how bonkers they may seem. 

It doesn’t help that television (and print)  “news” is being weaponized against us. People consume so much bad information from these programs. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Been in a few others! America is hardly among the dumbest! Just call us all Lemmings!

Absolutely. I mean our educational system is in shambles….and I might say for first world developed countries we are pretty stupid..many parts and places (3rd world) I’ve dealt with we are talking some crazy things people believe. (Earth is flat, not understanding human body, sanitation etc) 

Could easily see why. We have programmed our kids to get their knowledge from Google/Siri/Alexa. They don’t know how to research anything…source the authors and check their credentials and credibility. They just believe what they are told…and we all know simply blind believing the internet and news and even your teachers is not a good way to educate yourself. If you don’t question your sources and research for yourself then you probably aren’t going to have a well informed opinion on most matters. Takes a long time for me to fully form an opinion on a matter…I’m usually silent when people bring stuff up until I’ve done the research myself on things.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Absolutely. I mean our educational system is in shambles….and I might say for first world developed countries we are pretty stupid..many parts and places (3rd world) I’ve dealt with we are talking some crazy things people believe. (Earth is flat, not understanding human body, sanitation etc) 

Could easily see why. We have programmed our kids to get their knowledge from Google/Siri/Alexa. They don’t know how to research anything…source the authors and check their credentials and credibility. They just believe what they are told…and we all know simply blind believing the internet and news and even your teachers is not a good way to educate yourself. If you don’t question your sources and research for yourself then you probably aren’t going to have a well informed opinion on most matters. Takes a long time for me to fully form an opinion on a matter…I’m usually silent when people bring stuff up until I’ve done the research myself on things.

I don't think enough teachers are interested in actually teaching. And the US is sorely lacking in science and math teachers.  Science and math are where critical thinking skills are developed.

I graduated college with one of my friends from high school.  He was the only one that year to graduate with a math degree. He can teach wherever he wants.  A few years ago my cousins husband was asked to teach a science class. He is a PE teacher. They asked him because my cousin has a biology degree and could help him. They asked her to do it but she already has a job. 

• Like 2