Stories That Make You Shake Your Head At The World

We live on a smaller lake, near a town of about 250 people. Very quiet. Saturday afternoon a bunch of sheriff cars and an ambulance came roaring down our main road, and set up a blockade onto a smaller county road. Evidently, there had been a "neighborhood argument" that had been fermenting for a while and finally boiled over. One of the guys pulled out his handgun and started shooting. Thankfully, no one was hit. 

I could see all of the cars and ambulance from my picture window. Heard the gunshots. Too, too close to home.

• Sad 2

In the entirety of 2003, here were 42 murders in the Louisville./Jefferson County Metro area.

After yesterday's mass shooting, there have been 42 murders in Louisville/Jefferson County YTD in 2023.

It's a different world than it was 20 years ago.

image.png.ef8025343517020b0e50760c99d64603.png

image.png.35767134e37af495d87ea713dfaa8533.png

• Sad 2

On 4/10/2023 at 1:57 PM, NotIThatLives said:

Yeah it's real close to home.  My brother works at Humana along with a few friends and I'm sure you know people there too.  He said his team and a few others he has reached out to are safe but doesn't know yet if he will onow anyone personally or not.  Just sick.  Again, just kill yourself if you think things are that bad.  Stop with the killing everyone else crap.  

I have to agree with these people killing themselves.  I think they want to die but can't do it so they do something to trigger a police response.  I also think they're in pain and want others to feel the way they do.  My only request is they do it cleanly. 

I had an uncle commit suicide. My aunt got past it after a few years.

• Sad 2

Story has link to audio for the 911 calls coming in for the Louisville shooting.  The first one is from a lady who witnessed the shooting while video conferencing from a different location.  It's very unsettling, so listen at your own discretion.  The second is from a woman on location who is hiding in a closet.  She's much calmer as she's trying to remain hidden.  I'm still listening through them, so I don't know what's after that.

https://www.wdrb.com/news/graphic-911-calls-released-by-louisville-police-from-mass-shooting-that-killed-5-injured-8/article_b2e7c042-d95d-11ed-8dfe-9f633f0f684e.html

Edited by 5fouls
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Story has link to audio for the 911 calls coming in for the Louisville shooting.  The first one is from a lady who witnessed the shooting while video conferencing from a different location.  It's very unsettling, so listen at your own discretion.  The second is from a woman on location who is hiding in a closet.  She's much calmer as she's trying to remain hidden.  I'm still listening through them, so I don't know what's after that.

https://www.wdrb.com/news/graphic-911-calls-released-by-louisville-police-from-mass-shooting-that-killed-5-injured-8/article_b2e7c042-d95d-11ed-8dfe-9f633f0f684e.html

If you watch the police body cam video from both the Nashville and Louisville shootings it's a testament to the bravery of those officers that stopped the 2 shooters...

As for Connor Sturgeon, it's been reported that he was in therapy for anxiety and depression. I don't know if he was on any psychotropic medication, but those can trigger suicidal thoughts on some. Also read where he missed a lot of his 8th grade football season due to concussions, and that he had more concussions playing high schools sports. Wore a soft helmet when he played basketball because of them...

CTE possibly? 

"What causes CTE?

Those at greatest risk for CTE are athletes who play contact sports (e.g., boxers, football players, etc.) and military veterans, likely due to their increased chances of enduring repeated blows to the head.

Symptoms

Research on CTE diagnosis, cause(s), symptoms, and risk factors is still in the early stages. Not all scientists agree on the symptoms of CTE, but the disease has been associated with:

memory and thinking problems

confusion

personality changes

and/or erratic behavior including aggression, depression and even suicidal thinking" 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

As for Connor Sturgeon, it's been reported that he was in therapy for anxiety and depression. I don't know if he was on any psychotropic medication, but those can trigger suicidal thoughts on some. Also read where he missed a lot of his 8th grade football season due to concussions, and that he had more concussions playing high schools sports. Wore a soft helmet when he played basketball because of them...

His former high school, Floyd Central, plays my kids school, Silver Creek, in most sports.   I personally watched him play high school basketball with the helmet.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IUFLA said:

If you watch the police body cam video from both the Nashville and Louisville shootings it's a testament to the bravery of those officers that stopped the 2 shooters...

I watched some of the Nashville footage and totally agree. Those officers were brave and did not hesitate. 

On 4/12/2023 at 12:31 PM, mrflynn03 said:

I have to agree with these people killing themselves.  I think they want to die but can't do it so they do something to trigger a police response.  I also think they're in pain and want others to feel the way they do.  My only request is they do it cleanly. 

I had an uncle commit suicide. My aunt got past it after a few years.

Had an uncle I really loved commit suicide when I was about twelve. He was a Vietnam Vet and pretty troubled, but really had a good connection with me as a kid. I think he felt safe with me or something. 

Anyway, he rigged up a hose to the tailpipe of his car in his garage. That was a very bad scene and was really my first understanding of death. 

• Sad 7

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

Had an uncle I really loved commit suicide when I was about twelve. He was a Vietnam Vet and pretty troubled, but really had a good connection with me as a kid. I think he felt safe with me or something. 

Anyway, he rigged up a hose to the tailpipe of his car in his garage. That was a very bad scene and was really my first understanding of death. 

Dang man, terribly sad.  Sorry you had to go through that.  

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Dang man, terribly sad.  Sorry you had to go through that.  

Thank you. He was a really good dude. Introduced me to Creedence Clearwater Revival and was actually friends with John Mellencamp’s people. Lots of chatter growing up about them being around, but I didn’t realize or didn’t meet them that I knew of. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

I love football.  Watch almost all day every Sunday, will normally stop if I'm flipping through channels and see it, etc.

Yet if I were to have kids, I'd never allow them to play.  There is no way to make a violent game safe - point blank.

I don't blame you. I loved playing, played from 3rd grade until I graduated. But if you're not getting a free education or eventually playing pro there are other sports. I'm 38 in a few days and feel like the tin man. Oil can. 

Edited by mrflynn03

13 hours ago, Lostin76 said:

Sorry to hear. My uncle was the quietest nicest guy. Truck driver and Harley guy with a beard like Billy Gibbons. I was a bit older, 20 at the time. He used a 12 Guage in the woods behind his house.

3 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Sorry to hear. My uncle was the quietest nicest guy. Truck driver and Harley guy with a beard like Billy Gibbons. I was a bit older, 20 at the time. He used a 12 Guage in the woods behind his house.

Sounds like a very similar dude. With a similar big bushy beard. Wouldn’t have hurt a fly except himself in the end. Sorry man. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think this is a good idea 

"The 9mm Biofire Smart Gun locks the moment it leaves your hand and cannot be fired unless an authorized user picks it back up." 

Maybe eventually retrofit all firearms with the technology... 

YES. If we pretend to care about our kids, let’s do this. Let’s also put in speed limiters on automobiles on residential streets. They do it for mopeds here, why not cars (sure, I know ‘Merica and FREEDUMB)?

The two reasons the US life expectancy are plummeting against the rest of the world are mainly for two reasons - guns and cars. Both fixable with some balls. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think this is a good idea 

"The 9mm Biofire Smart Gun locks the moment it leaves your hand and cannot be fired unless an authorized user picks it back up." 

Maybe eventually retrofit all firearms with the technology... 

I wouldn't use it for a primary self defense option but that's just me.  If a person just wanted one to take to the range then it looks fine to me. 

Curious how long it takes to become operable after picking it up.  I didn't see that in the specs. 

2 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I wouldn't use it for a primary self defense option but that's just me.  If a person just wanted one to take to the range then it looks fine to me. 

Curious how long it takes to become operable after picking it up.  I didn't see that in the specs. 

1 second...