High School Hoops '21-'22

13 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

I was really rooting for this kid until the Greensburg game win he did pulled the bush league move of stealing the ball with 9 seconds left and acting like he was going to shake hands with the Greensburg player before he stole the ball.  Plus all game long he was cussing his own players out when he didn’t get the ball.  I was really disappointed in what I saw.  Still a good player but his antics were a bit much for me.  Damn I’m turning negative now! 😂

I am not sure he would have survived me being the coach.  There is more ME than WE

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Yes.  I was pretty disappointed, was really rooting the kid on before that game.  I’ve been told that’s the way he is, but I don’t know him personally.  

I watched them 2 years ago when they were really good and i could see that

Once Lauderbaugh became the school's all time leading scorer catching him was the only objective is what I heard

On 2/21/2022 at 1:06 PM, btownqb said:

I'm off today, so sorry for all the posting. 

Brownstown plays at Orleans this coming weekend. Great 1A program! They have a solid atmosphere and home court advantage. 

I was able to coach two of the Orleans SOs when they were younger, in AAU. Great kids and have become very good basketball players! 

Xavier Alston a SO is avg 13p 7r. 

Here is a video of him hammering down a two handed flush. 

Hey I told you guys that Orleans team was good!!

They beat #3 Loogootee last night in OT!!! Loogootee beat them by 10 on Feb 2nd. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 3

On 3/1/2022 at 1:10 PM, mrflynn03 said:

1A top 5 is just nuts. Bloomfield, North Daviess, Barre Reeve, and Loogootee. All those schools are within about a 25 mile radius of each other. Greene, Martin, and Daviess counties. 

Always been a great small school area in the state. You have some other good basketball in that area for 2A and I guess even 3A as well. Outside the biggest schools and some of the private schools/academies some fine coaching and basketball played in that region.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Always been a great small school area in the state. You have some other good basketball in that area for 2A and I guess even 3A as well. Outside the biggest schools and some of the private schools/academies some fine coaching and basketball played in that region.

This is truly what I believe sets Indiana apart. The top 10 in the state, ok they are great. Literally great, great teams.

BUT... I think if you'd take the 100th best team in Indiana vs. 100th best in basically any other state.... I'd love to see the results. There are sooo many good coaches, players, and programs in this state... it's nuts.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

My dad was an IHSAA official.  He played for Switz City before it was consolidated into WRV. 

I played against Linton, Union Dugger, Bloomfield, Brody Boyd was unstoppable.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

This is truly what I believe sets Indiana apart. The top 10 in the state, ok they are great. Literally great, great teams.

BUT... I think if you'd take the 100th best team in Indiana vs. 100th best in basically any other state.... I'd love to see the results. There are sooo many good coaches, players, and programs in this state... it's nuts.  

Agreed....while of course the really big schools have the largest amount of talent...the depth of talent across the state is incredible. Almost every team you watch has 1 or 2 kids that can score 1,000pts or could easily play at a much bigger school. Those smaller schools just don't have the size and depth of the bigger but pound for pound I agree....drive across any state lines and they more than hold their own against a similar size opponent.

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

The guy that coaches my Hatchets led Vincennes to the single class state championship in 1984. Runner up

Gene Miller is a phenomenal coach. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

That is why a lot of out of state college programs look to fill their rosters with hoosiers. Both the boys and girls in general are well coached. 

A sign that I am old. At the South Decatur vs Knightstown game I could not get past Knightstown coach wearing a long sleeve hooded t shirt and sweat pants. I wore our warmup pants on 2 occasions,  once after halftime when in my youth I was pissed and kicked the plastic tub our uniforms were in and my foot went through it ripped my pants and cut the heck out of my leg. The other I went to crouch down and heard that unforgettable sound of the pants splitting. Otherwise always dressed for success

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

My dad was an IHSAA official.  He played for Switz City before it was consolidated into WRV. 

I coached at Linton from 2000 to 03 were you in school then. Lot of great talent we went against 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Agreed....while of course the really big schools have the largest amount of talent...the depth of talent across the state is incredible. Almost every team you watch has 1 or 2 kids that can score 1,000pts or could easily play at a much bigger school. Those smaller schools just don't have the size and depth of the bigger but pound for pound I agree....drive across any state lines and they more than hold their own against a similar size opponent.

You are 100% right for sure. The one thing about the small schools and it was true about my class... one of the advantages they have... some of these teams' players have been in the roles they are in now, their whole life. Like the entire time some of these kids have played basketball it's been with the same group of kids.... setting the same screens, getting back on defense, going through warmups together. You know? those teams have sooo much cohesion at times, its really nice/remarkable to see and not something you witness often. 

Different sport, but I had a buddy... we played college football together. We were also on the same 5th grade team, so from 5th grade- SO year of college every single football game we played was together. That matters. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

That is why a lot of out of state college programs look to fill their rosters with hoosiers. Both the boys and girls in general are well coached. 

A sign that I am old. At the South Decatur vs Knightstown game I could not get past Knightstown coach wearing a long sleeve hooded t shirt and sweat pants. I wore our warmup pants on 2 occasions,  once after halftime when in my youth I was pissed and kicked the plastic tub our uniforms were in and my foot went through it ripped my pants and cut the heck out of my leg. The other I went to crouch down and heard that unforgettable sound of the pants splitting. Otherwise always dressed for success

The Knightstown coach and I probably have similar wardrobes lol 

I'm all team comfort now. haha 

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

I would wear it 1 hour before game but I can't imagine coaching in that. I am very old school in that way. It's a new generation 

YES SIR!!!! I have my Dudes on right now!! 

Obviously there is a line. I personally don't believe coaching should be done in a suit. I find it odd that was ever a thing haha 

Do you think you would feel that way if more guys were dressing differently when you started coaching? 

Edited by btownqb

1 minute ago, mrflynn03 said:

My dad coached a lot of middle school/junior high ball with Benji (Brody's father) back in the day. Lots of talent either on our or opponents. He would take me around watching all the great players in the area growing up and point out how they played and what I'd need to work on. Too many to list here. Basically my first memory of HS basketball was going to see L&M play with Oliphant and Patterson and Grounds....the hysteria of those packed gyms....basketball right there stole my heart.

My Dugger (Union) had some teams I just adored growing up....the tears when we would lose in a Sectional or Regionals....following guys like Joey Hart, Marty Hale, Eric Walters...to some of my teams and then finishing with Brody. But we always in gracious defeat would drive up/down to see the winning sectional team make their run at Regionals and beyond. The Graves boys at WRV, Bloomfield teams, Linton etc. Great group of coaches and teams that represent the area well....and now its funny seeing their kids carry on the tradition lol.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I coached at Linton from 2000 to 03 were you in school then. Lot of great talent we went against 

Graduated in 97...but of course followed along and tried to come back up sectional time every year....just special time of year no matter where in Indiana you are from....basically homecoming as people out of area/state come back to see their teams play and cheer them on!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

YES SIR!!!! I have my Dudes on right now!! 

Obviously there is a line. I personally don't believe coaching should be done in a suit. I find it odd that was ever a thing haha 

Do you think you would feel that way if more guys were dressing differently when you started coaching? 

I am sure I would. My coach wore a suit I worked for coaches that wore suits. Rocking my dudes right now and some Addidas sweat pants that if you did not know you would think are dress pants and a pullover

• Like 1