High School Hoops '21-'22

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Not for regionals, at the New Castle regional we had sectional winners from New Castle, Muncie, Greenfield and Richmond.

Also my school Knightstown was in the New Castle sectional which was about a 20 minute drive.  In class basketball we had to drive to places like Alexandria which is an hour drive or Hagerstown which is about 45-50 minute drive

31 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Not for regionals, at the New Castle regional we had sectional winners from New Castle, Muncie, Greenfield and Richmond.

Ok first of all.. 2hr drive is nothing. 

If they played the regional at Huntington they'd all be just as close. As within 50 mins of each HS that won their respective sectional. 

So... the IHSAA want (and I agree with them) to play games in legendary gyms can cause "longer" drives. 

New Castle doesn't make sense to host games for 3A at the regional level. It would for 2A and 1A though, I believe. Geographically speaking. 

29 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Also my school Knightstown was in the New Castle sectional which was about a 20 minute drive.  In class basketball we had to drive to places like Alexandria which is an hour drive or Hagerstown which is about 45-50 minute drive

Oh god. An extra 25 mins!!!! 

37 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Ok first of all.. 2hr drive is nothing. 

If they played the regional at Huntington they'd all be just as close. As within 50 mins of each HS that won their respective sectional. 

So... the IHSAA want (and I agree with them) to play games in legendary gyms can cause "longer" drives. 

New Castle doesn't make sense to host games for 3A at the regional level. It would for 2A and 1A though, I believe. Geographically speaking. 

That 3A Regional does bother me a tad when I look at 3 of the schools that are in it.  But WTF, I would have been drooling in my day to get a chance to play there!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, rico said:

That 3A Regional does bother me a tad when I look at 3 of the schools that are in it.  But WTF, I would have been drooling in my day to get a chance to play there!

Right. Its just not necessarily class basketball's fault.. that way my only point. 

I'd drive endless amount of hours to play in that gym in a regional though, no doubt. Absolutely with you there. 

Connersville, Southridge, New Castle. All pits.. love them all. 

30 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Right. Its just not necessarily class basketball's fault.. that way my only point. 

I'd drive endless amount of hours to play in that gym in a regional though, no doubt. Absolutely with you there. 

Connersville, Southridge, New Castle. All pits.. love them all. 

We have very few old historic gyms around me.  They keep tearing them down and building new ones.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rico said:

We have very few old historic gyms around me.  They keep tearing them down and building new ones.

I haven't been to to many of the big or historical gyms in the state.  The ones I have been to are New Castle, Southport and Richmond. Also not really historical but I played in the Hoosier Gym hundreds of time.  It is only is known because of being in the movie Hoosiers.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, rico said:

Grew up 4 mins from Seymour and live 6 mins from Columbus North now. 

Obviously those two places, geographically and "big enough gym" wise.. could host every weekend for boys and girls tourney. That was sort of my point earlier.. it doesnt really make sense to have certain schools host...but you let them because they are just incredible venues and you want to spread it around. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Obviously those two places, geographically and "big enough gym" wise.. could host every weekend for boys and girls. That was sort of my point earlier.. it doesnt really make sense to have certain schools host...but you let them because they are just incredible venues. 

I get the venue side of it.  I really, really do.  But dang...Northwood to New Castle.  South Bend is real close to 'em.  

• Like 1

Just now, rico said:

I get the venue side of it.  I really, really do.  But dang...Northwood to New Castle.  South Bend is real close to 'em.  

Idk the Geography enough. Why arent Peru and Northwood in different sectionals. 

I did say there are oddities for sure!! 

I'll be in Greencastle.. hopefully all day Saturday! 

57 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Obviously those two places, geographically and "big enough gym" wise.. could host every weekend for boys and girls tourney. That was sort of my point earlier.. it doesnt really make sense to have certain schools host...but you let them because they are just incredible venues and you want to spread it around. 

I don't like the Columbus North gym.  At all.  

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Really? My 2nd favorite. 

Why don't you like it? 

Granted, the two times I've been there, it's not been crowded, but it just seemed like it was old versus nostalgic.  Southridge, now that is nostalgic.  Washington and Seymour are as well, but not at the level of Southridge.    

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Granted, the two times I've been there, it's not been crowded, but it just seemed like it was old versus nostalgic.  Southridge, now that is nostalgic.  Washington and Seymour are as well, but not at the level of Southridge.    

Yeah iconically I have no clue. I was merely speaking how good of a view I have/ease of getting in and out aisles and what not. 

Seymour is huge. But the view can suck in places. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

Yeah iconically I have no clue. I was merely speaking how good of a view I have/ease of getting in and out aisles and what not. 

Seymour is huge. But the view can suck in places. 

Seymour gets bonus points from me for some of the Regional games I saw back in the 80's and early 90's.  I got to see Damon drop 51 on Jeffersonville in the 1988 regional at Seymour.  I can't begin to describe how special that performance was.  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Seymour gets bonus points from me for some of the Regional games I saw back in the 80's and early 90's.  I got to see Damon drop 51 on Jeffersonville in the 1988 regional at Seymour.  I can't begin to describe how special that performance was.  

I saw Romeo have 44 and lost lol 

I watched Romeo there... wow, 10 times? 12? A lot. Heckuva lot of fun!

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, rico said:

The Allen County War Memorial Coliseum is hallowed ground to me.

IIRC, FtWayne was the only place in the state that held two Sectionals. Loved that time of year with Hilliard Gates calling the games. Once the tournament got to the Regional level, Eckrich Meats would create the 64 team bracket and you had to join a pool 

• Like 3