2024 C Derik Queen Commits to Maryland

OGIUAndy

I don’t think we land him but things that keep me hopeful:

1) He posted that IU official visit video on his Twitter page himself and haven’t seen anything from Maryland. He also liked the photo of Liam saying “don’t go backwards” today from the IU barstool tweet and he rarely if ever likes anything related to his recruitment/schools involved. He usually just shares content related to hyping him up as a ball player. 

2) if he commits to Maryland, he’s likely the only commit they will get for that class, which means they also have to rely on the portal and don’t have the NIL funding we have. Also Nova seems to be recruiting local DMV guys just as well. In terms of returners, Idk if he’s played with local guys like DHS/Kaiser but he’s obviously played and won big with Liam and Reneau. 

3)The longer this goes, the more Woody has time to remind him that Ware is NBA bound and TJD was one of the best players in CBB last year. Not to mention, Woody had the NBA pitch Willard doesn’t 

4) According to people on BTB, apparently Queen stayed with Liam over the summer instead of going home. That goes to show the relationship that they have and also allows us to show Queen even if he’s away from home, he’s in good hands and people his parents like and trust deeply. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

What would make a visit "bad"? Player tells coach, hey, I'm going elsewhere...what else could make a visit negative?

Edit: I'm aware of Crean killing Kyrie's toilet, and Tyler Zeller's visit in 2006 was not great...

Some seem to think they either took a misstep regarding his path to the NBA, or NIL. Don't think I have seen anyone credible saying this actually happened but that's what some people are saying.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Coach Robby said:

What would make a visit "bad"? Player tells coach, hey, I'm going elsewhere...what else could make a visit negative?

Edit: I'm aware of Crean killing Kyrie's toilet, and Tyler Zeller's visit in 2006 was not great...

Tyler Zeller's visit is true, but the Crean toilet escapade is an urban legend.  I'll admit it does make for a funny story though.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Coach Robby said:

Fillipowski’s visit to IU wasn’t good either and pretty much removed IU from consideration 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Fillipowski’s visit to IU wasn’t good either and pretty much removed IU from consideration 

So what's that like?  Not specifically this guy but in general.  Bad weather, late pick up.   Bad traffic.  Food wasn't up to his liking.  Should have known he was more a pizza guy and not a burger guy.  Or they sit down at the NIL table and he says Duke is paying 2 mil, where ya at?  

Edited by NotIThatLives

39 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

So what's that like?  Not specifically this guy but in general.  Bad weather, late pick up.   Bad traffic.  Food wasn't up to his liking.  Should have known he was more a pizza guy and not a burger guy.  Or they sit down at the NIL table and he says Duke is paying 2 mil, where ya at?  

Not specific to the Duke kid.   “I see you as a replacement for TJD.  You can operate inside.”   Kid sees himself as a wing.   Bad visit.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Could be a number of things. Here are a few. 

1. Recruit doesn't like his fit in the system

2. Recruit doesn't like the vibe of the players in the program

3. Recruit doesn't like the vibe of the school and campus itself once they get there

4. There's some miscommunication's between recruit and coaches

5. There's poor communication between recruit and players on the team

6. NIL isn't up to the players liking when it's all said and done

7. Player doesn't like the set up and format of the campus and doesn't feel comfortable

8. Recruit doesn't like the way the coaches handle player development or practices when they see them in person 

There could any number of other things as well that can impact a visit for a recruit. Every recruit is different in what they are looking for. 

Edited by DC2345
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Could be a number of things. Here are a few. 

1. Recruit doesn't like his fit in the system

2. Recruit doesn't like the vibe of the players in the program

3. Recruit doesn't like the vibe of the school and campus itself once they get there

4. There's some miscommunication's between recruit and coaches

5. There's poor communication between recruit and players on the team

6. NIL isn't up to the players liking when it's all said and done

7. Player doesn't like the set up and format of the campus and doesn't feel comfortable

8. Recruit doesn't like the way the coaches handle player development or practices when they see them in person 

There could any number of other things as well that can impact a visit for a recruit. Every recruit is different in what they are looking for. 

9. Recruit isn't impressed by basketball facilities and/or living arrangements.

10. Coach or staff starts talking about things which upset the recruit or recruit's family (this definitely happened at IU).