2024 C Derik Queen Commits to Maryland

OGIUAndy

1 hour ago, RoadToZion said:

65-35 Maryland.

Can't blame him if he goes to Maryland since it is home for him. Of the 3 I think not getting Queen would be the easiest to over come. I assume that Reneau and Sparks will both be back next year and Queen is the same position as those two.  For some reason I thought Queen would end up at Houston 

Edited by IU Scott

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

I agree, does anyone know a timetable for a commitment?

I have seen by early November.  I would hope the longer it goes after the OV this weekend without announcing any sort of commitment date, the better.  If he announces a commitment by end of next week then likely he'll be going to Maryland imo

Edited by dwtaylor1055
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

Maryland going all out this weekend for his OV.  

I swear I heard/saw somewhere that essentially Maryland doesn’t have much NIL $ and has had to drop out of recruitments as a result (ex-Boogie) to save that for DQ. 

If I was DQ, while it’s nice to get a fat check,  how does Maryland build a winning team around you then? You basically can’t compete in the portal for top talent, and you may lose current players because you have no money to keep them around. 

• Like 1

Just now, Hoosierdave said:

I swear I heard/saw somewhere that essentially Maryland doesn’t have much NIL $ and has had to drop out of recruitments as a result (ex-Boogie) to save that for DQ. 

If I was DQ, while it’s nice to get a fat check,  how does Maryland build a winning team around you then? You basically can’t compete in the portal for top talent, and you may lose current players because you have no money to keep them around. 

that is interesting.  I saw some titbits of them going all out, basically making DQ "their" guy

22 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

I think the whole NIL stuff is coming from the Maryland 247 board, but I believe they talked about their entire Athletic Program pretty much being NIL money broke. Which surprises me a lot.

21 minutes ago, kycarter88 said:

i find it hard to believe that Maryland can't find the money to help land some big name guys.  don't they have the creator of UA as an alum?!

I think so but look at these net worths:

Nike- $31 billion 

Adidas- $36 billion 

Under armour- $3 billion

Even Puma had 8 billion. That’s an uphill battle for UA.

19 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

Maryland has continued to stay in the lead as others have already said. That said recruiting is fluid and IU is staying in the fight. The longer his recruitment drags out post Maryland visit the better chance I think IU will have to make a move at improving their chances. 

Besides being the hometown school, do they have something we don't?  I get they are in the lead, and i trust what i've heard from a variety of sources, but what do they offer him besides being close to home?

30 minutes ago, kycarter88 said:

Besides being the hometown school, do they have something we don't?  I get they are in the lead, and i trust what i've heard from a variety of sources, but what do they offer him besides being close to home?

For some, that's a huge part. He may have grown up a Terps fan.

A chance to play close to home, in an elite conference for a team you grew up watching seems like a pretty strong pull. And one I can respect.

Similar to Peyton Sparks and IU.

With that said, I hope he doesn't decide that direction.   😀

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, kycarter88 said:

Well, Kevin Willard was rated ahead of Woody in Busting Brackets rating of all 362 D1 coaches... 

200w(9).gif.5c115b544c1108bf317f516eee34d82b.gif

😉

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Hoosierdave said:

I think so but look at these net worths:

Nike- $31 billion 

Adidas- $36 billion 

Under armour- $3 billion

Even Puma had 8 billion. That’s an uphill battle for UA.

I understand, but....i.....mean....3 billion?!  You can't rifle through the couch and throw 250k at a kid to get that exposure and money for your school?  means like it would be a pretty easy negotiation for indiana if they ever came talking to me (assuming I was sitting on billions).

5 hours ago, kycarter88 said:

I understand, but....i.....mean....3 billion?!  You can't rifle through the couch and throw 250k at a kid to get that exposure and money for your school?  means like it would be a pretty easy negotiation for indiana if they ever came talking to me (assuming I was sitting on billions).

Kevin Plank played football at MD and from what I’ve read, UA’s primary focus has been for the football program 

• Like 1