2024 C Derik Queen Commits to Maryland

OGIUAndy

28 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

He's a big boy and you need that in the Big Ten.  I'd love to see IU get him but I'm a little more jazzed over McNeeley who can really shoot.

He's not super athletic or explosive but he's a baller. Smart player who knows how to use what he does have. Has decent range and is also a very good passer from what I've seen. There's a reason he's ranked as highly as he is despite not being freakishly athletic. 

Edited by go_iu_bb
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Based on recent results, is anyone here really questioning why CMW and staff is prioritizing this guy? At what point do we stop tearing apart a player’s game and just trust that the staff knows what they’re doing?

Exactly. CMW is building a team. He is looking for pieces that fit what he is trying to do. Given the talent he has coached in his career, I am not questioning anyone who he wants. I'm thinking he knows what he is doing.

51 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

Finished over one of the boozers (non-alcoholic) just fine. Imagine a weight room/nutrition plan. He’d be as big as Sparks in 2 years

Yes I think nutritional plan will help him but they just need to work on his explosiveness. The one play over boozer was only time he got more than 6 inches off the ground.

9 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Gonna be honest if Queen comes fine but I won’t be sad over it. He has absolutely zero explosion or athleticism 

18 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Case in point, Geronimo.

I think the knock on both JHS and Reneau was that neither was super athletic (along with questions about Jalen's outside shooting) and we see how those have panned out... @Drroogh makes a good point...I loved Jordan's athleticism, but he didn't have near the basketball instincts of those 2...

Give Derik a year with Woody, Clif, and crew, and I think we'd see a vast improvement in his tangibles...

• Like 4

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I think the knock on both JHS and Reneau was that neither was super athletic (along with questions about Jalen's outside shooting) and we see how those have panned out... @Drroogh makes a good point...I loved Jordan's athleticism, but he didn't have near the basketball instincts of those 2...

Give Derik a year with Woody, Clif, and crew, and I think we'd see a vast improvement in his tangibles...

I think I want to see Malik this year compared to last year. I thought JHS developed wayyyyy more than Malik did last year. I do think another year in our system and with Cliff then Malik will be different this year. I just think DQ struggles way more than Malik and JHS did and look at what our IU fanbase did to a certain 5 star from Evansville. I think comparing JG to DQ is two totally different situations. I’m not saying I want DQA to be a freak I’m just concerned when he gets to facing 7 ft dudes in the big ten it’s going to be wayyy more if a struggle than people anticipate with his limited athleticism. If he’s cool with staying all 4 years then awesome because I trust our staff. 

10 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

He's not super athletic or explosive but he's a baller. Smart player who knows how to use what he does have. Has decent range and is also a very good passer from what I've seen. There's a reason he's ranked as highly as he is despite not being freakishly athletic. 

I will agree with the passing! That pass he made last night was insanely impressive

10 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Based on recent results, is anyone here really questioning why CMW and staff is prioritizing this guy? At what point do we stop tearing apart a player’s game and just trust that the staff knows what they’re doing?

Isn’t that what these boards are for? Have discussions and debate about players/potential players/coaching staff. I didn’t say oh he’s the worst player ever and the coaching staff is idiots. I watched him play last night and I felt he was take it or leave it but I’ve also been on record multiple times saying I trust this staff. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

Isn’t that what these boards are for? Have discussions and debate about players/potential players/coaching staff. I didn’t say oh he’s the worst player ever and the coaching staff is idiots. I watched him play last night and I felt he was take it or leave it but I’ve also been on record multiple times saying I trust this staff. 

I agree the board is where we can discuss and debate but I wonder if that’s truly how you feel, why the need to correct others on that issue?

30 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I think I want to see Malik this year compared to last year. I thought JHS developed wayyyyy more than Malik did last year. I do think another year in our system and with Cliff then Malik will be different this year. I just think DQ struggles way more than Malik and JHS did and look at what our IU fanbase did to a certain 5 star from Evansville. I think comparing JG to DQ is two totally different situations. I’m not saying I want DQA to be a freak I’m just concerned when he gets to facing 7 ft dudes in the big ten it’s going to be wayyy more if a struggle than people anticipate with his limited athleticism. If he’s cool with staying all 4 years then awesome because I trust our staff. 

Malik had a lot more talent in front of him than JHS did, and then X went down and he was "the man" in the back court...But Malik also had a pretty good year except for the fouling issue...

And in hindsight, Lander was overrated...Nothing against Khristian, and I wish him the best, but there were certain people "in the know" on this board who tried rightfully) to rein in the enthusiasm but, most of us, myself included, were starry eyed at the 5 star rating...the rating can  indeed be wrong :) 

Like I said, Queen has things that can't be taught...Size and a good basketball instinct from what I've seen...Malik supposedly increased his vertical 4.5 inches, and we can see the transformation in his body...Give Clif some time with DQ and see what happens...

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

I agree the board is where we can discuss and debate but I wonder if that’s truly how you feel, why the need to correct others on that issue?

I do really feel that way and sorry if I came across as not being sincere in that feeling. I felt his comments were directed at me because I was just indicating my thoughts on DQ after seeing him play. I felt he made it seem like I couldn’t do that so was just asking the question because of that while also defending my comments. So I apologize if it seemed anything other than responding to his comment as it wasn’t my intention. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Malik had a lot more talent in front of him than JHS did, and then X went down and he was "the man" in the back court...But Malik also had a pretty good year except for the fouling issue...

And in hindsight, Lander was overrated...Nothing against Khristian, and I wish him the best, but there were certain people "in the know" on this board who tried rightfully) to rein in the enthusiasm but, most of us, myself included, were starry eyed at the 5 star rating...the rating can  indeed be wrong :) 

Like I said, Queen has things that can't be taught...Size and a good basketball instinct from what I've seen...Malik supposedly increased his vertical 4.5 inches, and we can see the transformation in his body...Give Clif some time with DQ and see what happens...

I agree with everything you’re saying for sure and I’ll be happy if we get DQ I guess I should’ve worded it better. I felt Liam was an absolute must get and originally thought DQ was too but I guess after seeing him play my thought processes changed and I worded it poorly.

• Like 3

Just now, IUfaninIllinois said:

I agree with everything you’re saying for sure and I’ll be happy if we get DQ I guess I should’ve worded it better. I felt Liam was an absolute must get and originally thought DQ was too but I guess after seeing him play my thought processes changed and I worded it poorly.

Nah, come on brother...As you said, it's what the boards are for...I love the conversations :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DQ reminds me a little of Sean May after watching last night. Similar frame, hands, and game.  If we were to land him, he most likely would play Malik's role from last season as a freshman. Malik and Sparks would both be veterans and know our system much better. Let DQ learn, develop,  and get stronger/more explosive without asking him to be the focal point in the post as a freshman. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

DQ reminds me a little of Sean May after watching last night. Similar frame, hands, and game.  If we were to land him, he most likely would play Malik's role from last season as a freshman. Malik and Sparks would both be veterans and know our system much better. Let DQ learn, develop,  and get stronger/more explosive without asking him to be the focal point in the post as a freshman. 

I didn't get a chance to watch him, but if he follows a similar path as Malik, I'd imagine they he'll light the state on fire against the teams ranked 200+. However, once we start playing real competition and is forced to guard quicker bigs, foul trouble may hinder his ability to be a factor in big games. (assuming they have the same limitations)

Hoping Malik's off-season weight-loss and foot speed will give him the quickness he needs on the defensive end to stay out of foul trouble this season. That'd not only be good for the team, but an example of what Cliff's program can do for DQ. 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I didn't get a chance to watch him, but if he follows a similar path as Malik, I'd imagine they he'll light the state on fire against the teams ranked 200+. However, once we start playing real competition and is forced to guard quicker bigs, foul trouble may hinder his ability to be a factor in big games. (assuming they have the same limitations)

Hoping Malik's off-season weight-loss and foot speed will give him the quickness he needs on the defensive end to stay out of foul trouble this season. That'd not only be good for the team, but an example of what Cliff's program can do for DQ. 

This is spot on. He was in foul trouble last night and a tad out of control. He definitely doesn’t miss when wide open though. Had a nice spin love but got called for offensive foul and had an insanely nice pass.

I haven’t been able to watch very many MV games, but I have watched Queen and McNeeley play three times. Growing up in southern Florida, I made some connections and still have a couple. Now, admittedly, neither of my friends know what the recruits are going to do, because in the basketball business, and at a factory like MV, it’s all about the product. As someone in this thread previously mentioned, DQ is an old school big with soft hands around the basket with great footwork on the offensive end. Defensively he’s a load. Lateral movement will be the primary concern coming into his freshman season, but you’d better believe that he knows that. “DQ’s vision and instinct to be in the right place on both ends of the floor make him a highly sought after player. Not very many guys, even five stars, are polished enough to come right into the college game and make an immediate impact.” That’s a quote from one of my friends who still live in the area and watch MV play when he can. I personally feel like he will be a three year, maybe even a four year player in college. Most likely due to his style of play. I think he’d be a very valuable addition for IU, and could step right in and add some value right away. I don’t believe he will start, but could definitely log solid minutes as soon as he gets to campus(if he indeed comes to IU).

Edit: DQ not starting is predicated on Malik likely returning for his junior season and Payton Sparks, at least initially, getting a shot at starting his senior season. 

Edited by Danomatic
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2