OSU Post Game Thread

Huntnfreak

1 hour ago, Cbp4IU said:

I’ll ask the question:

You are Mike Woodson… This off-season do you blow the roster up (Crean them) and restart with a whole new crew or run it back 1 more year with basically the same results then maybe sneak in. 

I texted a friend during the game “sans Galloway I don’t enjoy watching anyone in this team.  I’m ready to blow it up I.e Creans first year and start over.”

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I didn't watch the game.  Chose to do something else.  Saw we right at end of game, wasn't surprised we went to OT and then got man handled there.

Might still make the tourney if we win out, which includes Purdue away.  Stranger things have happened.

Same. It's hard to watch this team flounder. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I didn't see it as all forcing the ball inside and saw way more guys coming off screens.  With him being our best player you need to play through him and that is how we got the lead.  That kickout to Tamar and the 3 he hit to put us up 4.

We moved the ball very good most of the night. But we get caught trying to pound in late in the game. 

Really liked Tamar, steward and even Kopp being aggressive and hunting shots. They missed several but the offense looks Breyer when other guys are trying to get open and make plays. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Iona is 22-5, will dance and would spank IU today. Tell me the difference a coach makes and how long it takes to build and how many pros it takes etc.

The schedule makes a difference too

pinto is a top level coach for sure. That makes a difference for sure.  Pinto doesn’t make shots

this team need a a couple of scores that can score and multiple levels. All of our players are 1 dimensional. 

love how hard we play. Just need a few guys that  hunt their shot

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Inequality said:

Iona is 22-5, will dance and would spank IU today. Tell me the difference a coach makes and how long it takes to build and how many pros it takes etc.

I say there is a little bit of a difference in the conferences each teams plays in. Do you think Iona would be 22-5 in the big ten.  I would say IU would be better than 22-5 in the MAAC

9 hours ago, Coach Robby said:

Woody has Archie’s roster besides Kopp and Durr. Bates too. The players coming in next year are better high school players. Jesus. Anything this team accomplishes is a bonus

XJ = Devonte Green

um... Woodson has the same roster other than XJ, Kopp, Durr, Bates, Duncomb, Stewart... kind of not the same roster, right?

I can see working to get the ball to TJD on the last play of regulation, but him standing there with his hand up while 2 guys stand there and play hot potato while the other 2 just stand there aint guna cut it. TJD is NOOOOTTTTTTT a power post player no matter how much he thinks he is. If he's guna try to do that he'd dang sure better go get the ball although im not sure it coulda been a worse pass from Race (who has to know he cant make that pass).

This team plays SSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOO much better when TJD gets his touches from movement than when we try to spoon feed him. His numbers will still be there, if not get better, if he would just let the game come to him..........and learn to use his right hand even just a tiny bit. 

• Like 2

Was that game annoying? Absolutely. Am I that bothered by it? Not in the grand scheme of things, because I wasn't expecting a win, anyway. Positives are that we were in position to win this game, and the same issue keeps rearing its head, in that we simply don't have a go to guy at the end of games. Nice resiliency to come back from down double figures to get to that point, though. We also, unfortunately, have one of our worst FT shooters going to the line the most, which gets really hard to watch.  

If we can win the upcoming games that we should - Maryland, Minny, Rutgers - and pull at least one W in the BTT, then I think we are dancing. Not ready to throw in the towel on this season yet.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Well, the NIT awaits.

Not for me.  We are the exact type of team that always flames out early in the NIT.  I think by agreements you have to play if invited, but when your goal at the beginning of the year was the NCAA tournament, everyone views that as a loser consolation, including the players.  Which is why teams like ours always flame out relatively early in it.

Making the NIT is one thing if you have a young team building up throughout the year.  Having a group of veterans that faltered down the stretch is just a recipe for embarrassment. 

This is looking like another "oh give it 2 to 3 years and let's see where we are..." type of situation.  Someone was talking about Gabe Cupps being an answer and that kid is 2 years out.  Wake me up when this program is worth a damn again because I have sat through enough "help is on the way" years to last a lifetime.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

The reason we lost last night was because Woody kept Stewart on Branham. Why? I have no idea. I need to wake up from this nightmare. 

Not having Galloway at the end hurt but ya… No idea why Stewart and Kopp have been guarding the go to man the last 2 games. It’s a migraine. 

• Like 1

We do so many things to lose games it’s maddening! How many teams can you name with 20 sec on the clock down five in the first half miss the bunny and both free throws! should has only been down 1 at half. 
Then up four with 1:30 to play and not score in four possessions to get tied and go to overtime! Johnson starting the game with 4 turnover, Race I believe had two one he just plain dribbled out of bounds. 

There are others, but these stick out to me! 

• Like 1

Was there any doubt at the end of OT that OSU would set one screen to isolate Race to guard a much quicker player at the top of the key?

OSU has run that same play at the end of games against IU since Holtmann has been there and IU still hasn't figure out what to do to stop it. In fact, just about every B1G team has used it the past few years. Race is a lot of things but he doesn't have the quickness to stay near a smaller, faster shooter and OSU took advantage again.

Not that it should have mattered. IU had two chances late in regulation to win it and both times they took a challenged three instead of just driving to the rim. Not smart. IU has mastered not smart basketball in the past few weeks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Euroclydon said:

Was there any doubt at the end of OT that OSU would set one screen to isolate Race to guard a much quicker player at the top of the key?

OSU has run that same play at the end of games against IU since Holtmann has been there and IU still hasn't figure out what to do to stop it. In fact, just about every B1G team has used it the past few years. Race is a lot of things but he doesn't have the quickness to stay near a smaller, faster shooter and OSU took advantage again.

Not that it should have mattered. IU had two chances late in regulation to win it and both times they took a challenged three instead of just driving to the rim. Not smart. IU has mastered not smart basketball in the past few weeks.

You mean years! I think Bates made that decision himself to take that three at the end because once he got the ball he didn’t even tried to drive are fine another player. 

5 minutes ago, Euroclydon said:

Agree with just about everything, however, X was driving and not getting anything out of it. Don't know why, in the Big Ten, we try to drive to the basket on the road. You are not going to get a call, especially late. I think you can't win on the road without a good pull up, mid-range game, and I don't think anyone out there at the end could get that done. If Woodson learns anything this year i hope it is that.

52 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

The reason we lost last night was because Woody kept Stewart on Branham. Why? I have no idea. I need to wake up from this nightmare. 

Who else are going to put on Branham? That would have been Trey Galloway's man THE ENTIRE GAME! Not having Galloway last night was ABSOLUTELY DEVASTATING! 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, MSHoosier said:

Agree with just about everything, however, X was driving and not getting anything out of it. Don't know why, in the Big Ten, we try to drive to the basket on the road. You are not going to get a call, especially late. I think you can't win on the road without a good pull up, mid-range game, and I don't think anyone out there at the end could get that done. If Woodson learns anything this year i hope it is that.

XJ shot 10FTs. 

• Like 1