Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

13 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

It’s the latter, for certain. 

Seemed like he has had a lot of turmoil there at his HS...maybe even with some of his teammates it’s hard to tell when a kid gets kicked off a team then comes back...even seemed to underachieve at the end with bowing out to Carmel. Maybe his HS situation was already toxic and decided he liked what he saw happen to Jackson JR. and wants to be the next to get paid.

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Coach Robby said:

I’m an Indiana high school boys coach. Means the world to me and our community, as I’m sure it does across the state. We have 1,700 fans minimum at every home game in a 2,000 seat gym. 

If he feels that is the best fit for him, then have at it. Love to have him at IU, but just for what it’s worth, he’s the 7-9th guy next year...IMO this years class is gonna be a stud class we talk about for years to come. 

Also, barring some injury or out of nowhere, we’ll be getting 2 Mr Basketballs in a row (TJD) so long as that recruitment  continues like it has been! 

Much love y’all! 

Indeed. Not sure he starts next year...hope he comes but that is a reality. In fact we might not have a single 19 recruit start as a freshman...still an important class though.

19 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Indeed. Not sure he starts next year...hope he comes but that is a reality. In fact we might not have a single 19 recruit start as a freshman...still an important class though.

That's why I don't think Brooks is that important.  He's one and done from what I hear and Hunter and Smith are starting.  Race and Anderson should be solid backups at those positions too.  In other words, I don't care if he plays on the team or not.

And I'm not saying at all that I wouldn't take him as I certainly would.  He is important in the sense that I'm sure Archie wants to send a big fat GTFO of my state message to Cal, Izzo, Holtmann, and Mack.  Landing TJD and Brooks to follow Romeo, Phinesee, and Anderson would help do just that.  But from a wins and losses perspective I don't think he's that important next season.  Just my opinion. 

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

That's why I don't think Brooks is that important.  He's one and done from what I hear and Hunter and Smith are starting.  Race and Anderson should be solid backups at those positions too.  In other words, I don't care if he plays on the team or not.

And I'm not saying at all that I wouldn't take him as I certainly would.  He is important in the sense that I'm sure Archie wants to send a big fat GTFO of my state message to Cal, Izzo, Holtmann, and Mack.  Landing TJD and Brooks to follow Romeo, Phinesee, and Anderson would help do just that.  But from a wins and losses perspective I don't think he's that important next season.  Just my opinion. 

Assuming Smith is still here next year. 

2 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Assuming Smith is still here next year. 

I think he will be but you never know.  He's way too small to play the 4 in the NBA and doesn't have near the skill set for a 3.  A massive breakout year could certainly change that though. 

This is no joke, I’ve heard Hunter has a chance to be one and done.  He’s that good.  This came straight from one of the coaches.  I think the kid is good but not sure about one and done just because of minutes.  If he is, look out College Basketball, IU is coming

20 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

This is no joke, I’ve heard Hunter has a chance to be one and done.  He’s that good.  This came straight from one of the coaches.  I think the kid is good but not sure about one and done just because of minutes.  If he is, look out College Basketball, IU is coming

If true then landing Brooks is definitely important.  I still think Hunter should come back for a 2nd year and take over where Romeo left off.  He'd be the man and it would probably help his stock tremendously.  But if he's a lottery pick next then go get paid Jerome.

25 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I think him and Romeo are going to be a two headed monster and I could see 5-6 players average double figures in points.

28 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Nothing like walking into the week with these thoughts. Just awesome. Thank you as always for the insider information!

http://www.journalgazette.net/sports/high-schools/20180729/brooks-immediate-future-uncertain

Some quotes from KBJ from the article & video above...

“I'd be able to stay home, play in front of my family. I'm a couple hundred points away from being North Side's all-time leading scorer. We could win another (SAC) holiday championship, which would be my fourth in a row, and sixth in a row for North Side altogether."

“I could be an Indiana All-Star, I could possibly win Mr. Basketball. Those are the things that really stick out when I think about staying at home.”

"There's some things I wanted to check off my list but at the same time, if I go another route, there's advantages to that, like playing a national schedule, playing against the best competition in the country every day. So, there's pros and cons both ways. Whichever choice I chose I'm gonna have to sacrifice something."

16 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I’m not commenting on the Crean era, I’m talking about the importance of getting high-level recruits right now.  Everyone always says “IU will be just fine if we don’t get [insert any big-time recruit here].”  I just don’t buy that, for a lot of reasons.  Archie’s not going to land a legit class in 2019 if he misses out on all the recruits he’s prioritized (and TJD is the only recruit that’s been more of a priority for the staff than Brooks).

I sleep pretty well at night.  Put any 2-3 of these guys with TJD and you have an extremely solid class.  

PG- Mann, A Harris, Franklin, K Lewis
SG- Newman, Bouknight, Ramsey, S Curtis
SF- Brooks, Watford
PF-TJD, Stewart
C- Hurt, Nnaji

(list from btownbanners)

8 hours ago, Hoosierdave said:

http://www.journalgazette.net/sports/high-schools/20180729/brooks-immediate-future-uncertain

Some quotes from KBJ from the article & video above...

“I'd be able to stay home, play in front of my family. I'm a couple hundred points away from being North Side's all-time leading scorer. We could win another (SAC) holiday championship, which would be my fourth in a row, and sixth in a row for North Side altogether."

“I could be an Indiana All-Star, I could possibly win Mr. Basketball. Those are the things that really stick out when I think about staying at home.”

"There's some things I wanted to check off my list but at the same time, if I go another route, there's advantages to that, like playing a national schedule, playing against the best competition in the country every day. So, there's pros and cons both ways. Whichever choice I chose I'm gonna have to sacrifice something."

Goes directly to the assumptions he doesn't know what he's doing, he's just blindly leaving IN HS basketball, etc. 

These guys have tremendous opportunities, and with those come choices. Sounds like he's thinking them through pretty well.

If KBJ decides to go to Oak Hill or Montverde, then I'd be concerned about IU's chances with him. I think him going to LaLu would at least indicate that staying close to home is important to him. 

I can't also imagine that this move would impact the coaches' interest in him. You wouldn't give up on landing an in-state 5-star player when you have this close of a relationship with him & his father. 

While it does suck that guys like Newman and KBJ are going the prep route, if IU lands them, these kids will be more prepared to make a big impact from the start. 

14 minutes ago, Hoosier Guy said:

Penny is about to land himself a great first class

But can he win with it? People say the same thing about Drew’s class there in Vanderbilt but we don’t have any evidence yet to tell if he can do anything with it. I agree though on paper they have some top flight talent...my question is who is running the point...we all know guards make the difference come March.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

DJ Jefferies just decomitted from UK...I think they may get really involved in Keion after that news. Expect things to get hot and heavy now.

I don't really think the UK staff is going to do that. Chris Fisher is the 247 writer for UK and the two guys he is mentioning are both Small Forwards. 

Screen Shot 2018-07-30 at 8.49.09 PM.png

20 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

I don't really think the UK staff is going to do that. Chris Fisher is the 247 writer for UK and the two guys he is mentioning are both Small Forwards. 

Screen Shot 2018-07-30 at 8.49.09 PM.png

Oh agree Whitney has been the talk of the town for awhile now. I think Brooks is a MSU/IU recruit....but it’s clear Cal wants a couple wings from this class and will likely just move down the board with offers. 

Funny this whole thing people down here are like how terrible this kid is now after months of how good he was going to be. They are like Cal will destroy Memphis...he knows where all the bodies are buried. Then they said Penny will fail because it takes more than just talent to win in college....wait...isn’t that what Cal has been doing in Kentucky the last 10 years...it sure isn’t his game management and coaching skills that has won most of those games! I live with a bunch clueless rednecks lol..most never played basketball in their life but think they know the game. Wow

Archived