Keion Brooks Jr. Commits to UK

milehiiu

9 hours ago, OGIUAndy said:

The infamous Tom Davis, who wrote said ridiculous article, has been canned: https://www.wane.com/news/local-news/news-sentinel-lays-off-7-of-8-remaining-employees/1360320575 

Can't take any joy in someone losing their job.  Been there.  One bad article doesn't define you.

I wonder if that article was an attempt to be "edgy" as a last attempt to save it?  Or perhaps he knew it was coming so he was taking a parting shot because he had an ax to grind?  

• Replies 5.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Can't take any joy in someone losing their job.  Been there.  One bad article doesn't define you.

I wonder if that article was an attempt to be "edgy" as a last attempt to save it?  Or perhaps he knew it was coming so he was taking a parting shot because he had an ax to grind?  

Unfortunately for Tom Davis, several bad articles do define him.

4 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Unfortunately for Tom Davis, several bad articles do define him.

Just to make my position clear, I took no pleasure in his firing, just thought it was news since he was the source of a lot of discussions. It's a shame what happened to that paper, but it became a little crusty the past 20 years. Then once you go online only, it's very, very difficult to make it. I would guess his articles were an attempt at gathering some viral attention for the site. There is literally one person left writing stories. 

On 8/14/2018 at 8:52 AM, BobSaccamanno said:

I missed that.  Sorry to hear that.  It’s always tough to hear about people losing their jobs.  

The old media universe is tough, but there is more of a variety and creativity in outlets.  As an example, you see some local guys like the senior Bozich or Bob Kravitz end up at television stations that are developing online content suitable for columnists. I’m sure the folks who lost their jobs will land someplace good, but it’s still a tough thing to endure and I’m sure we all hate to see something like that happen. 

Not really sure what to think of Kravitz anymore. After his article about Romeo, Adidas,etc....he moved way down the list in my eyes. The article seemed more about clicks than substance and for him that seemed to be a change. 

"Look, it's LA...it's warm, beautiful year 'round...lots of sunshine and glorious people...basketball wise...eh, we're okay, you won't be on tv a lot...the most famous recent guy was actually a dad of a player. I'm an okay coach, just weaseling my way thru a commonly weak PAC-10. Sometimes we make the tournament, sometimes not..."

Steve Alford probably

50 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

"Look, it's LA...it's warm, beautiful year 'round...lots of sunshine and glorious people...basketball wise...eh, we're okay, you won't be on tv a lot...the most famous recent guy was actually a dad of a player. I'm an okay coach, just weaseling my way thru a commonly weak PAC-10. Sometimes we make the tournament, sometimes not..."

Steve Alford probably

And Kris Wilkes who said before going to UCLA that going there was to help him with his brand after being a one and done is now back playing in front of 4900 fans on a nightly basis. 

51 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

ESPN updated their 2019 Top 100

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/view/espnu100/sort/rank/class/2019

Keion is #33, 4*

Definitely the lowest opinion of him of the big three.

From the ESPN scouting report, updated 8/26 (not copying all as this is a subscription-based service):

Strengths:
Brooks is a versatile scoring forward with a lanky and elastic body type. He's a true mismatch problem who is a threat to create his own shot and put points on the board from various spots on the floor. He's probably most effective in the mid-range area, where he can shoot off both the catch and the dribble with a high release to score over top of opposing defenders... He's also beginning to stretch the floor from behind the three-point line. He's a pretty bouncy vertical athlete who can finish emphatically given the chance and is beginning to assert himself as a rebounder and weak-side shot-blocker.

Weaknesses:
His frame hasn't filled out yet and while he doesn't shy away from contact, he's not always able to play through it against the highest levels of competition. He has very skinny legs that are both knee-knocked and pigeon-toed causing a lack of fluidity at times, especially on the defensive end. Brooks also doesn't measure out quite as big as advertised at 6-foot-5.5 without shoes with a 6-foot-9 wingspan. While he has versatility offensively he's more of an undersized four than the big wing he fancies himself at this point and becomes inefficient when he gets too infatuated from the perimeter....

Bottom Line:
Brooks put up huge EYBL numbers to prove himself as one of the most impactful players in the country. He's a versatile scorer who can create his own shot from different spots on the floor and play both forward positions but he's a volume based player, more limited on the defensive end, and has some physical uncertainties, especially in his lower body, moving forward.

http://insider.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/evaluation/_/id/230191/keion-brooks

34 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

From the ESPN scouting report, updated 8/26 (not copying all as this is a subscription-based service):

Strengths:
Brooks is a versatile scoring forward with a lanky and elastic body type. He's a true mismatch problem who is a threat to create his own shot and put points on the board from various spots on the floor. He's probably most effective in the mid-range area, where he can shoot off both the catch and the dribble with a high release to score over top of opposing defenders... He's also beginning to stretch the floor from behind the three-point line. He's a pretty bouncy vertical athlete who can finish emphatically given the chance and is beginning to assert himself as a rebounder and weak-side shot-blocker.

Weaknesses:
His frame hasn't filled out yet and while he doesn't shy away from contact, he's not always able to play through it against the highest levels of competition. He has very skinny legs that are both knee-knocked and pigeon-toed causing a lack of fluidity at times, especially on the defensive end. Brooks also doesn't measure out quite as big as advertised at 6-foot-5.5 without shoes with a 6-foot-9 wingspan. While he has versatility offensively he's more of an undersized four than the big wing he fancies himself at this point and becomes inefficient when he gets too infatuated from the perimeter....

Bottom Line:
Brooks put up huge EYBL numbers to prove himself as one of the most impactful players in the country. He's a versatile scorer who can create his own shot from different spots on the floor and play both forward positions but he's a volume based player, more limited on the defensive end, and has some physical uncertainties, especially in his lower body, moving forward.

http://insider.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/evaluation/_/id/230191/keion-brooks

Thanks for sharing HH! This seems like a well-balanced evaluation. KBJ can be a very good college player.

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:

So wait, are you telling me that Brooks isn’t the point guard of the future?

8 hours ago, Coach Robby said:

Steve Alford probably

I'd say Alford is on thin ice. If he doesn't get past the Sweet 16 this year....I think the will move on from him. So much talent that goes through that campus to have so little success. They won't put up with it for much longer. They basically fired the last coach who achieved more.

I cannot confirm the source so I am passing along as hearsay and nothing more. An out of sate recruit is about to pop which may either speed up the timeline for KB or bring a team from below our borders into play. This was 3rd party info nothing more and I have not heard that anywhere else so i am taking with grain of salt but i am intrigued.

47 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I cannot confirm the source so I am passing along as hearsay and nothing more. An out of sate recruit is about to pop which may either speed up the timeline for KB or bring a team from below our borders into play. This was 3rd party info nothing more and I have not heard that anywhere else so i am taking with grain of salt but i am intrigued.

Pop for who

Archived