Coronavirus

Reacher

1 minute ago, rico said:

I have come to the conclusion that we are gonna have to let this virus run it's course until a vaccine is found.  Take precautions as much as we can and hope and pray.

I've been on this side of the fence for a few weeks. I'm not out there hanging with large groups or anything like that but until science catches up with vaccine/cure or whatever is needed medically to help.....best we can do is to use our brain. Wear masks. Wash Hands. Keep the Immune System Humming. Keep Distance. Don't make out with Nursing Home residents and make sure the beer is cold. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

Also, doctors understand more about how to treat it now than they did back in March. Don't know how much of a factor it is but definitely part of the equation. 

Here is an example. Some good news. Just need to listen to the first couple minutes but well worth listening to more. 

Discusses treatment they are using in Japan and Taiwan where they have very low death rates.

Edited by Reacher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I have not heard much discussed about innate immunity.  Makes sense that people with strong immune systems are going to be more resistant. Saw one report that it could be as high as 80%.  What are your thoughts?

Genetics?

2 hours ago, jv1972iu said:

1 million cases in 99 days...43 days later 2 million cases...28 days later 3 million cases.  Yeah, we're in a good place.   👍   💩 horse pucky!

This Dr makes the case that it means we are closer to herd immunity (if that exists)-

Brings up a couple interesting points. We'll see how it plays out.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Reacher said:

This Dr makes the case that it means we are closer to herd immunity (if that exists)-

Brings up a couple interesting points. We'll see how it plays out.

I was reading that one thing that we as a country need to be careful of if/when we are getting closer to herd immunity is that we don’t over shoot it. Just because we get to, say, 70% doesn’t mean the virus is going to stop reproducing exactly at that time. We need to approach that ‘herd immunity line’ (whatever it may be) slowly. It’s like rolling a boulder down a hill. If you want to stop it at as soon as it reaches level ground then you will have to slow it down before it gets to the bottom. 

Edited by tdhoosier
  • Like 1

On 2/26/2020 at 7:10 PM, Drroogh said:

I have a $3.7 million tooling project just getting started. Even with the 25% tariff our proffered vendor out of Colorado which manages tool builds in China is still the lowest price with superior tool builds. They only went back to work a week ago, which is putting us behind schedule. Since our company is Japanese owned and Japan is starting to get slammed with the virus there are serious concerns about the supply chain. It only takes the lack of one part out of hundreds to shut an assembly line down!

From page one of this thread, I’m still concerned about the supply chain! My tooling vendor has been providing samples on schedule in spite of me being on furlough for two weeks! I’m now totally worried about our domestic molding vendors! Just like us low wage employees on unemployment with Covid benefits are making more money staying home! We have on average 50 people short each day! Further we had one line shut down because one employee’s husband tested positive, luckily she did not test positive! If she and others on the line had we would have lost our highest selling line!!

Edited by Drroogh

12 hours ago, Drroogh said:

From page one of this thread, I’m still concerned about the supply chain! My tooling vendor has been providing samples on schedule in spite of me being on furlough for two weeks! I’m now totally worried about our domestic molding vendors! Just like us low wage employees on unemployment with Covid benefits are making more money staying home! We have on average 50 people short each day! Further we had one line shut down because one employee’s husband tested positive, luckily she did not test positive! If she and others on the line had we would have lost our highest selling line!!

Thanks for the insight. This is a great example of why we can’t simply point to a low death rate and say it’s going to be ‘alright’. Transmission alone (even without government mandated shutdowns) is going to continue to devastate this economy. It was only last week when United said that air travel is going to turn around, then this spike continues to get out of control and today they’re announcing that 36,000 employees are going to be furloughed.  

We may not completely be able to control R, but our actions can keep it down. If we keep it down, it makes it much easier for this economy to operate, it makes it easier for kids to go back to school, it makes it easier for sports to resume, it reduces the strain on hospitals and healthcare workers, etc., etc. But let’s throw that all out the window because the death rate is temporarily down, or masks takes away your freedom or are just too uncomfortable 😢 , or your ‘over’ precautions. We’re just digging ourselves into a deeper hole to climb out of. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

We may not completely be able to control R, but our actions can keep it down. If we keep it down, it makes it much easier for this economy to operate, it makes it easier for kids to go back to school, it makes it easier for sports to resume, it reduces the strain on hospitals and healthcare workers, etc., etc. But let’s throw that all out the window because the death rate is temporarily down, or masks takes away your freedom or are just too uncomfortable 😢 , or your ‘over’ precautions. We’re just digging ourselves into a deeper hole to climb out of. 

I think we all agree on making this more palatable as a nation and I like they way you phrased this. Our actions can help collectively - or damage the efforts at recovery. I don't like wearing masks, but I do it and will continue to do so. I don't like having to think twice about a grocery trip or running errands, but I'll do it and not make unnecessary trips.

Two things are getting clearer for me -  that this is going to be a long haul and that the "United" States that I know and love is fractured over how to survive this. Would love some of that "post 9/11 we are all in this together" spirit about now.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Drroogh said:

Supply chain issues are real. I work as a divisional level person for a national retail chain. Selling electronics, appliances and furniture. 

I cover 4 states. The past two months our business has been surprisingly strong, very strong. The demand is still strong, but our growth is diminishing because we simply have exhausted all angles to keep proper inventory levels.

Washers and dryers are worth their weight in gold for us, nobody has access!

Supply chain on appliances is in a bad way right now, for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lostin76 said:

I think we all agree on making this more palatable as a nation and I like they way you phrased this. Our actions can help collectively - or damage the efforts at recovery. I don't like wearing masks, but I do it and will continue to do so. I don't like having to think twice about a grocery trip or running errands, but I'll do it and not make unnecessary trips.

Two things are getting clearer for me -  that this is going to be a long haul and that the "United" States that I know and love is fractured over how to survive this. Would love some of that "post 9/11 we are all in this together" spirit about now.

I agree. I am fine with a million different views on what "this report" means or how we interpret "that article" etc.

But the division on wearing a mask, keeping distance and othe common sense protocol is exhausting and dangerous.

We are all guessing how severe this really is, how long it will last. What we do know is the virus is real and it is super active.

With all the unknowns, how anybody wants to gamble with their personal actions is beyond me.

I see people not wearing a mask and I just think "you are not tough, you are not exercising your freedom, you are simply being a freaking douchebag"

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Supply chain issues are real. I work as a divisional level person for a national retail chain. Selling electronics, appliances and furniture. 

I cover 4 states. The past two months our business has been surprisingly strong, very strong. The demand is still strong, but our growth is diminishing because we simply have exhausted all angles to keep proper inventory levels.

Washers and dryers are worth their weight in gold for us, nobody has access!

Supply chain on appliances is in a bad way right now, for sure.

And just after I posted this, one of my regional managers just sent me this.....

"Wow! None of the refrigerators I ordered last week came in"

Ugh

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, bluegrassIU said:

I agree. I am fine with a million different views on what "this report" means or how we interpret "that article" etc.

But the division on wearing a mask, keeping distance and othe common sense protocol is exhausting and dangerous.

We are all guessing how severe this really is, how long it will last. What we do know is the virus is real and it is super active.

With all the unknowns, how anybody wants to gamble with their personal actions is beyond me.

I see people not wearing a mask and I just think "you are not tough, you are not exercising your freedom, you are simply being a freaking douchebag"

EXACTLY.

We can interpret articles and track numbers all we want, but there is more that we don't know than we know.

But we know that the virus is real, we know that it is spreading, and we know that our individual actions matter.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

And just after I posted this, one of my regional managers just sent me this.....

Ugh

I bought a new range from home depot recently.  Took 2 weeks to get it delivered.  Asked the sales rep about refrigerators while I was there.  Said if I ordered that day expect to wait until September for delivery.  Hope mine holds on a few more months.  Its where my food lives.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I bought a new range from home depot recently.  Took 2 weeks to get it delivered.  Asked the sales rep about refrigerators while I was there.  Said if I ordered that day expect to wait until September for delivery.  Hope mine holds on a few more months.  Its where my food lives.

Exactly. The company I work for is a large, well positioned company. But we are no home depot. Nobody matches their buying power, so if they can't get it, imagine what the rest of us are dealing with.

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Ugh

I ordered half a cow and thought I would get a stand up deep freeze for the garage. Impossible. I went and searched. I called. No one had any and wasn’t expecting any until after August. 

Ended up having to go with a ice maker-less side by side. Turns out, without the ice maker, half beef will fit in the freezer side but packed full with no room to spare.

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Mask tip:

If you're going to have garlic knots, Caesar salad, and veal picatta for lunch and you have to wear your mask afterwards, carry mints.

I had a sudden belch the other day, while wearing a mask. Lets just say, it was not a good experience 😷🤮

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Mask tip:

If you're going to have garlic knots, Caesar salad, and veal picatta for lunch and you have to wear your mask afterwards, carry mints.

I was chewing gum to avoid this. Out of habit, I blew a bubble....it got a little sticky after that. 

• Haha 4