Rutgers Postgame Thread

KDB

3 minutes ago, Feathery said:

saying that, if TJD comes back next year.... We should be a top 3 conference team with a shot to win the conference. This is assuming the freshmen progress. 

I think even if TJD leaves, next year is the deciding year in Archie's tenure. He finishes .500 middle of the pack in the conference again, I think he'll be fired...

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Rogermci said:

Happens all the time my friend.  

You can’t defend that, my friend. I enjoy your insights but you are describing programs that are average. That’s the problem with always having an excuse ready.  You get on a slippery slope and start excusing everything.  Many of us saw a coach for decades who worked with his players to avoid these things.  That’s a differentiator between a program striving for excellence vs a program that’s satisfied being in the middle of the herd.  The problem for the current administration is that a good chunk of the fan base learned what the pursuit of excellence entails.  And it’s not accepting let downs. 

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

What’s weird to me is that mostly all our basketball teams over the years take on the identity of its head coach. Knights teams, Davis, Sampson, Crean....but Archies teams...not so much...how is that possible??

It's possible they have. Archie never expresses positive enthusiasm. The only time I see him break his flat affect is when yelling at someone or something. The vibe I get from his pressers is that coaching this team is an annoyance. Maybe it shouldn't be surprising to see his team too often play as if they didn't want to be there either.

21 minutes ago, Feathery said:

Or maybe this is the identity of Archie. We all say is small and a PG in the ACC, so he is tough. The ACC doesn’t play a physical game like the Big Ten. It’s always been more of an open game in that conference. My point is there is more to toughness than being short or being raised close to Pittsburgh. Maybe this team is in Archies image. It’s been 4 years, hard to say that it’s not IMO. 

saying that, if TJD comes back next year.... We should be a top 3 conference team with a shot to win the conference. This is assuming the freshmen progress. 

Just saying what he preaches...his team doesn’t have....weird it’s all his guys..no cancers etc...so why isn’t the team responding. It’s either talent or coaching. I dont see an obvious horrible coach...like I saw issues with Crean even when we were winning that I saw as red flags with fundamentals and defensive effort. That said he usually had enough talent to overcome it.
Archie wants to play a certain way and it’s made even more difficult because his team lacks the athleticism and length coupled with the offensive deficiencies with shooting and scoring on the perimeter his team has to grind out games...well if you can’t pull away from anyone you are going to end up basically 50-50...all those close games aren’t going to all go your way...there are a lot of tough teams in the B1G that will dive for balls too.

19 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

It's possible they have. Archie never expresses positive enthusiasm. The only time I see him break his flat affect is when yelling at someone or something. The vibe I get from his pressers is that coaching this team is an annoyance. Maybe it shouldn't be surprising to see his team too often play as if they didn't want to be there either.

Geez, what kind of TVs do you guys watch the games on? I mean, I have a couple of nice Samsung's, but I never get any of this "vibe" or "body language" stuff through them. I feel cheated!

Ah! I have it! You have RCAs (Reads Coaches Attitude)

😁

13 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Geez, what kind of TVs do you guys watch the games on? I mean, I have a couple of nice Samsung's, but I never get any of this "vibe" or "body language" stuff through them. I feel cheated!

Ah! I have it! You have RCAs (Reads Coaches Attitude)

😁

Wish I did...my dad worked at the plant in Bloomington for over 30 years til they closed it and shipped it to Mexico. Used to be a good product...stopped about the same time IU did as well.

8 minutes ago, Sea Turtle said:

I don't know how you lose this way after that great win the other night. They should have been able to build off of that.

Yeah, that’s what, I think, everyone is struggling with. 
Just my take, CAM is stubbornly set in his chosen style of offense and that includes which players he will utilize in any significant capacity. 
So tonight AF hurts his ankle and is clearly struggling with RU taking advantage of his limited mobility and CAM continues to keep him on the floor anyway.
Jordan is finally put in well into the game after being absolutely key to our W over Iowa (we may well have lost but for his contribution) - a chance he only got because both TJD and Race were saddled with Fouls. so despite TJD being a no show until we’ll into the game Jordan stays on the bench, finally making an appearance well in. He played only 6 min. In that time he got a bucket and rebound, also 2 fouls. 6 min is not enough coming off that game. Hunter hits for 9, but sits for a long time and then plays only 12 min and all while AF looks like gimpy. Hunter had some bad D during that run, but we went way down on the score board with him out, once again struggling to score, once again having to resort to D to try to claw our way back - and credit to the team they almost did, but the hole was too big. Playing from behind because the team can’t spread the floor enough is a repeat theme. Yes, we ended up 10-16 from deep, that’s encouraging and I don’t mean to undermine that, but we have players who can put points on the board who are sitting there while the other team is racking up points, and even when AF is gimpy? 34 minutes. Was glad to see Leal out there, that also was encouraging, but don’t tell me Jordan couldn’t have helped more and including defensively. Hunter could have added scoring. Someone should have spelled AF when he was clearly gimpy and getting beat on D. But CAM is stubborn. I hope he continues to grow, in the same way players need to develop CAM has some growing of his own to do. All just my opinion 

5 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yeah, that’s what, I think, everyone is struggling with. 
Just my take, CAM is stubbornly set in his chosen style of offense and that includes which players he will utilize in any significant capacity. 
So tonight AF hurts his ankle and is clearly struggling with RU taking advantage of his limited mobility and CAM continues to keep him on the floor anyway.
Jordan is finally put in well into the game after being absolutely key to our W over Iowa (we may well have lost but for his contribution) - a chance he only got because both TJD and Race were saddled with Fouls. so despite TJD being a no show until we’ll into the game Jordan stays on the bench, finally making an appearance well in. He played only 6 min. In that time he got a bucket and rebound, also 2 fouls. 6 min is not enough coming off that game. Hunter hits for 9, but sits for a long time and then plays only 12 min and all while AF looks like gimpy. Hunter had some bad D during that run, but we went way down on the score board with him out, once again struggling to score, once again having to resort to D to try to claw our way back - and credit to the team they almost did, but the hole was too big. Playing from behind because the team can’t spread the floor enough is a repeat theme. Yes, we ended up 10-16 from deep, that’s encouraging and I don’t mean to undermine that, but we have players who can put points on the board who are sitting there while the other team is racking up points, and even when AF is gimpy? 34 minutes. Was glad to see Leal out there, that also was encouraging, but don’t tell me Jordan couldn’t have helped more and including defensively. Hunter could have added scoring. Someone should have spelled AF when he was clearly gimpy and getting beat on D. But CAM is stubborn. I hope he continues to grow, in the same way players need to develop CAM has some growing of his own to do. All just my opinion 

Without question CAM has growing to do. It’s so slow and painful.

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

The women's team killed it today. 

That team knows how to win, and they expect to win every time they step on the floor. Totally different world than what our men's team operates in. 

Also, Teri Moren had them in the tournament by her second season, and the program had only made the tourney like 2 or 3 times in its history. Apparently she never got the memo that you're supposed to struggle for 4-5 years before showing any signs of growth. 

3 hours ago, dgambill said:

Just saying what he preaches...his team doesn’t have....weird it’s all his guys..no cancers etc...so why isn’t the team responding. It’s either talent or coaching. I dont see an obvious horrible coach...like I saw issues with Crean even when we were winning that I saw as red flags with fundamentals and defensive effort. That said he usually had enough talent to overcome it.
Archie wants to play a certain way and it’s made even more difficult because his team lacks the athleticism and length coupled with the offensive deficiencies with shooting and scoring on the perimeter his team has to grind out games...well if you can’t pull away from anyone you are going to end up basically 50-50...all those close games aren’t going to all go your way...there are a lot of tough teams in the B1G that will dive for balls too.

I'm gonna tell you what I see from the bottom of my heart!  Coach Archie Miller may get the the best in state talent but he lacks the slap the midcourt this is my game moment attitude that separates the great coaches from all other coaches!!!  No reason to lose at home to Rutgers other than this team being soft, especially at home!  Where is our heart to defend home court, especially to Rutgers??  As much as I want to say it's not on our HC, I can't help to think he lacks the heart on the sidelines that can motivate our players to Win some of these close games?  Let me remind you we have a 3rd yr NBA talent returning to a league that is severely lacking talent but can't beat a Rutgers team is just humiliating!  

26 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

I'm gonna tell you what I see from the bottom of my heart!  Coach Archie Miller may get the the best in state talent but he lacks the slap the midcourt this is my game moment attitude that separates the great coaches from all other coaches!!!  No reason to lose at home to Rutgers other than this team being soft, especially at home!  Where is our heart to defend home court, especially to Rutgers??  As much as I want to say it's not on our HC, I can't help to think he lacks the heart on the sidelines that can motivate our players to Win some of these close games?  Let me remind you we have a 3rd yr NBA talent returning to a league that is severely lacking talent but can't beat a Rutgers team is just humiliating!  

Agree ...we consistently gotten the most talented and athletic kids and we have had a total lack of consistent effort passion and intensity .....they don’t seem to have much pride 

1 minute ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Agree ...we consistently gotten the most talented and athletic kids and we have had a total lack of consistent effort passion and intensity .....they don’t seem to have much pride 

What ever happened to the hard core Tom Coverdale type players that would slap the floor & slap their chest daring you to come past half court??  It wasn't about talent but more about pride!!!

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Watch Larry Bird's reaction to Reggie millers game winning shot.  I am so surprised that he just stood there and didn't jump up and down with Reggie.

Larry didn't flinch because there was going to be ~0.9 seconds left and Michael Jordan was on the other team. First thing he does after Reggie sinks that is eye the clock.

Probably the coolest Pacers moment of all time.

22 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

What ever happened to the hard core Tom Coverdale type players that would slap the floor & slap their chest daring you to come past half court??  It wasn't about talent but more about pride!!!

You couldn’t be more correct ....it’s been a slow process to get to this point but at least in part the problem is the best two or three in state recruits every year used to dream of playing at iu and would compete to get there now the top talent is so coddled from grade school on that they feel entitled and you literally have to beg them to come play for you ( and your job literally depends on getting them as a coach ). 

6 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I think even if TJD leaves, next year is the deciding year in Archie's tenure. He finishes .500 middle of the pack in the conference again, I think he'll be fired...

Because of recruiting it’s a situation where you either fire or extend his contract as there will only be a couple years left. The buyout is going to be cheap after next season too. Make or break for him. 

Archived