Big Ten 2021-2022

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Bringing this back to attention. Davison should be looking at a 3 game suspension for this IMO, given he was suspended 1 game for something similar last year. 

There are a lot of issues the Commish is going to have to look at.  I, for one, hope this incident costs the Badgers dearly.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

kind of hard to understand the argument about this situation.  not that i am a Wisconsin fan, but what Gard did would have not only not started a fight, it would not even have gotten any attention, and definitely would not warrant disciplinary action.  was he wrong?  sure.  he had no business stopping him.  i don't like Howard at all, but he was doing the right thing by trying to avoid confrontation.  however, in life, society, whatever, just because someone calls you a name or says something you don't like, if you assault them, you could end up with charges.  then put it in a sporting event with 18 year olds and it's worse.  let's also not forget that he didn't hit Gard on the spot when he "felt threatened."  he didn't even hit Gard.  he hit the assistant after he had fought through a barricade of players.  isn't all really as simple as that? 

Let's change the scenario a bit.  You and I are in the grocery store at the height of the pandemic.  You notice I am not wearing a mask and make a comment about how I should as you are trying to get past in the aisle.  I block your path with my cart, aggressively grab at you to "explain" why you are wrong and I won't let you pass.  Is that acceptable behavior?

If your answer is no, then Gard was also in the wrong in this situation.  Krabbenhoft also waded into the scrum and was putting hands on Michigan players, which is why I think he got whopped.  Throw the book at Howard, he should not have swung.  What I think I and others are saying is that there is culpability on the Wisconsin side that needs dealt with as well.

Finally, I blame the Big Ten and the fact that the richest conference in the country cannot afford to hire better officials.  We have been spiraling towards an outcome like this all year because of how out of control they let players and games get.  Davison had another "incidental" contact incident with a Michigan player's groin yesterday.  Nothing happens to the guy and everyone knows he is a cheap shot artist.  Wisconsin and Michigan have both led the way with some pretty unsportsmanlike conduct before this game and nobody has stepped in before things got out of control to restore order.

You want this to stop?  Start instituting review of plays after games and start sitting guys who taunt the crowd and have a knack for their hands "accidentally" punching people in every other game.

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I am not going to comment on who started anything. YOU are a grown man in charge of a team, 50 years old and if you cannot handle that kind of issue how in the hell are you expecting you 18 to 23 year old guys to handle their real life situations. Terrible example set by Howard and what followed up was a direct reflection of the actions of their coach. 

I agree.  I just also happen to think that if you replaced Howard in the above quote with Gard, it would also apply.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Nope right as always. Thanks for your concern though.😀

It’s amazing how the point can smack you in the face and you don’t realize it. No one disagrees Howard was wrong, that’s a universally agreed upon point.

The disagreement is around if Wisconsin was also wrong. You seem to think it’s fine to put hands on people as multiple Wisconsin coaches did; many of us don’t. If an opposing coach starting pushing your kids, how would you react? Would you defend that opposing coaches behavior as nothing wrong?

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

Sure but 1 of the 2 threw a slap. 

Yeah, so he should get a larger punishment.  I am fine with Howard being fired.  I am just sick of what happens surrounding Wisconsin and I think Gard plays a part in that, played the main instigator role yesterday, and therefore also needs to receive some punishment.  He should have to sit a game at least.  Krabbenhoft as well.

Additionally, I think the Big Ten needs to put together some of Davison's low lights from the past few weeks and suspend him for a game for constantly finding a way to do physical harm to a player on the other team (something that should have occurred before now).  There were Michigan players throwing punches yesterday too.  Suspend everyone who was involved.

Just don't let this be a situation where only Howard bears total responsibility.  He was the most egregious but other people played their part.  Gard as the main guy who started it all being the next biggest.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Indykev said:

After watching all the clips I could find. Gard, UW assistant and Davidson, 3 games suspension. Howard at minimum 10 games gone, should be fired. A few UM players gone 3 or more games, a few UW players gone 3 or more games.

Yes, I could get on board with that.  I don't think anyone is defending Howard, they are saying that other people need to do their time for their role as well.

Removing objectivity from it, I hope they suspend enough people on Wisconsin to completely remove them from the Big title discussion.  I would rather see Purdue win it this year then that group of hack artists and I hate Purdue.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Let's change the scenario a bit.  You and I are in the grocery store at the height of the pandemic.  You notice I am not wearing a mask and make a comment about how I should as you are trying to get past in the aisle.  I block your path with my cart, aggressively grab at you to "explain" why you are wrong and I won't let you pass.  Is that acceptable behavior?

If your answer is no, then Gard was also in the wrong in this situation.  Krabbenhoft also waded into the scrum and was putting hands on Michigan players, which is why I think he got whopped.  Throw the book at Howard, he should not have swung.  What I think I and others are saying is that there is culpability on the Wisconsin side that needs dealt with as well.

Finally, I blame the Big Ten and the fact that the richest conference in the country cannot afford to hire better officials.  We have been spiraling towards an outcome like this all year because of how out of control they let players and games get.  Davison had another "incidental" contact incident with a Michigan player's groin yesterday.  Nothing happens to the guy and everyone knows he is a cheap shot artist.  Wisconsin and Michigan have both led the way with some pretty unsportsmanlike conduct before this game and nobody has stepped in before things got out of control to restore order.

You want this to stop?  Start instituting review of plays after games and start sitting guys who taunt the crowd and have a knack for their hands "accidentally" punching people in every other game.

Not even close to the same analogy.  I said it so.many times this happens all the time in hand shake lines the only difference was a slap was thrown. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

It’s amazing how the point can smack you in the face and you don’t realize it. No one disagrees Howard was wrong, that’s a universally agreed upon point.

The disagreement is around if Wisconsin was also wrong. You seem to think it’s fine to put hands on people as multiple Wisconsin coaches did; many of us don’t. If an opposing coach starting pushing your kids, how would you react? Would you defend that opposing coaches behavior as nothing wrong?

The UM kid was gabbing someone when the coach pushed him back, lets tell the whole story rather than just the coach pushed the kid. Both in the wrong.

Edited by Indykev

12 hours ago, Joe_Hoopsier said:

I think you are trying to play the Holy moral high ground, I get it and that is probably the right way to think about things like this.

BUT, this is a message board, on an IU site, We ALL hate Wisky and most hate Meatchicken. I don't think any of us are looking for a father figure to teach us morals. We just really want to hate Wisky!

Brad Davison is a dirty SOB!

Hey @IUFLA , This post of mine sounded much funnier in my head least night than it actually is. I was trying to be cute, not a dick. It just seems to come natural to me some time.. Sorry bro! 

• Like 1

Just now, Billingsley99 said:

Not even close to the same analogy.  I said it so.many times this happens all the time in hand shake lines the only difference was a slap was thrown. 

It is the exact same analogy.  You just want a different set of rules because it is on an athletic field.  So what if it does happen?  I think words get exchanged quite often but it is not often that the grabbing occurs.  You described a smiling handshake with "F you" statements after a game.  This was not the situation you described earlier in the thread.

If there are different rules on a basketball court for grabbing people after a game, then maybe there should be different rules for a slap fight too.  That's how we end up in these places to begin with.

• Haha 1

Howard 5

Gard 1 

UW assistant 3

Truthfully, I can't see what player threw what, any player throwing a punch gets 3. I wouldn't worry about anything else from the players. 

Also, the UW coach that threw up the "suck it" sign. Yeah, he gets at least a game. That was bizzare. 

Edited by btownqb
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Right in the face like a Juwan Hiward slap. The purpose of handshake line by definition is to put your hands on someone else. Am I wrong?? 

If you were at attorney would you feel confident in trying an assault case or even intimidation on what Gard did?? Or would you feel more confident in getting as assault charge for what Howard did. 

His responsibility is to do what is best for his team to set a positive example for his players. He failed. It takes a bigger man to walk away even if he felt threatened because those young men look to h for leadership.  He failed his guys. Plain and simple. It makes no difference if he was justified he lost his cool

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rico said:

Gard instigated it from my pov.

Yes and no. I understand what many of you are saying about Gard in this situation. I don't necessarily disagree, still gathering what my thoughts are on this in terms of Gard. Some good points on both side. 

With that said, while Gard probably shouldn't have put his hands on Howard, I also don't think anything he did warranted Howard completely losing his mind like that. 

Coaches touch each other like that in the handshake line fairly often when they want to stop the other coach to talk and Howard's reaction has rarely happened. So, I don't think Gard could have reasonably anticipated that type of over the top reaction. 

Should Gard have just let Howard blow by and left it alone? Yes, probably. So like I said, I'm fine with Gard getting some type of punishment. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Howard 5

Gard 1 

UW assistant 3

Truthfully, I can't see what player threw what, any player throwig a punch gets 3. I wouldn't worry about anything else from the players. 

Also, the UW coach that threw up the "suck it" sign. Yeah, he gets at least a game. That was bizzare. 

This seems reasonable to me.