Big Ten 2021-2022

1 minute ago, Indy1987 said:

And this isn't the news.   Our opinions on here are just that.  But when you have the CBS Morning news telling people their opinions it's no longer news.  When a news person throws in their opinion it's them trying to influence their audience.  There was a time when a story was a story and we as viewers could make our own decisions on a topic.

Go Hoosiers!!!

As I said earlier, sporting news has always taken on a degree of opinion.  This same stuff was being talked about after Knight's chair throwing debacle in the media circuits that were in place at the time.  Lots of opining goes on when a sports story is front page news.

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I think he was talking about a sports talk show on CBS sports…

You’re correct that a lot of what we consume as news today is editorial and most if not all should make that distinction more obvious. There have been “news” organizations sued and as their defense they argued no one should take them seriously - that’s sad, IMO. 

Maybe but I had CBS on this morning and the one dude on there did say Gard initiated it.    

Go Hoosiers!!!

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

My bad - Elite Eight. I had a brain fart remembering the UCLA game last year. 

I do agree with the premise that Howard is imminently more qualified to be a head coach than Ewing or Hardaway...

As far as him being a great coach, the jury is still out...

His team underperformed his first year, exceeded expectations his second, and has again fallen short on expectations this year (although I thought at he beginning of the year they were way overrated).

Until Phil Martelli retires, there will always be questions about his in game coaching...

And so far, just based on yesterday he's not very good at the psychology of leadership in my opinion. I understand "playing the game to the end" but Davante Jones made a layup to cut the deficit to 14 with 22 seconds to play. Shot clock was off and Wisconsin was simply going to walk up the floor and stand at half court and dribble it out...but Michigan pressed...

Now what was the motivation for that? What good does it do to try to embarrass walk-ons? The game was over...

And @Billingsley99 is right... Ok, you want to coach til the clock says "0" then I will too...

Was Gard wrong for hooking his arm (I'm surprised Bo Borowski didn't leap in and call a "hook and hold" 😁), um, maybe...

But I can see Mike Woodson telling a coach off it if he thinks another he's is trying to show him or his team up...although I'm quite sure with Coach Woody it would stop there...

• Like 2

Juwan Howard came into the spotlight with a group of guys in the early 90’s who certainly upended the norm in college basketball. IMO they reveled in the reputation of the word that shall not be mentioned here. They were in your face before that was really a thing and were disliked by most to the same extent, but for different reasons, that Wisconsin is disliked today. Of those guys, I always thought that Howard and King were always the two guys that were most capable of keeping a lid on the antics of Jalen Rose and Chris Weber. Maybe I was wrong about that.

My point in bringing this up is that I think UM has long wanted to perpetuate this bad boy image, and in bringing Howard back as head coach, they knew that they would be taking on some risk. Clearly, almost 30 years later, Howard has not matured past what he and his teammates were when they were the Fab 5. I hold the university culpable and think that the AD’s statement will prove to be lip service. Howard will continue to coach and the outbursts yesterday and v Turgeon will be long forgotten. UM wants the reputation they have fostered, and with the recruitment of guys like Diate they don’t appear to be interested in changing their culture 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

After watching the replay for the 100th time, UW asst got exactly what he deserved. Howard's stupid for allowing himself to be the one that threw the punch though. 

Was this the same guy who gave the WWE sign? 

So I guess I need to start taking the internet version of the Indy Star so I can read about when you wind up on the wrong side of one of theses deals 😁

21 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Juwan Howard came into the spotlight with a group of guys in the early 90’s who certainly upended the norm in college basketball. IMO they reveled in the reputation of the word that shall not be mentioned here. They were in your face before that was really a thing and were disliked by most to the same extent, but for different reasons, that Wisconsin is disliked today. Of those guys, I always thought that Howard and King were always the two guys that were most capable of keeping a lid on the antics of Jalen Rose and Chris Weber. Maybe I was wrong about that.

My point in bringing this up is that I think UM has long wanted to perpetuate this bad boy image, and in bringing Howard back as head coach, they knew that they would be taking on some risk. Clearly, almost 30 years later, Howard has not matured past what he and his teammates were when they were the Fab 5. I hold the university culpable and think that the AD’s statement will prove to be lip service. Howard will continue to coach and the outbursts yesterday and v Turgeon will be long forgotten. UM wants the reputation they have fostered, and with the recruitment of guys like Diate they don’t appear to be interested in changing their culture 

Are you comparing talking a lot of crap on the court, wearing black socks and long shorts to a decade plus of dirty play? The only overlap I see is the trash talk…

• Like 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

You don't think Howard swinging at Krabbenhoft shows a stunning lack of maturity?

You don't think barging into a crowd the way Krabbenhoft did shows a stunning lack of maturity? 

I didnt say Howard was right. I said Krabbenhoft got exactly what he deserved. Which is rare in this instance. 

Blame is blame. Either Krabbenhoft has never had his clock cleaned, or he had no fear that it was going to happen. He should have realized with the energy he brought to that situation, getting smacked was a distinct possibility. 

• Like 1

Just now, IUFLA said:

Not even on the same plane...

So if you would have been Howard, you would have thrown a punch?

What in the world? Did I say that? No. I said, you shouldn't be surprised by it. 

I said, Krabbenhoft got what he deserved. If you barge into a crowd the way he did, you should be punched. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

What in the world? Did I say that? No. I said, you shouldn't be surprised by it. 

I said, Krabbenhoft got what he deserved. If you barge into a crowd the way he did, you should be punched. 

Normally if I say "got what he deserved" I'm thinking that it's what I would have done in a similar situation...

"If you barge into a crowd the way he did, you should be punched."

And this says to me you'd do the punching if he'd barged into a crowd you were part of...