Big Ten 2021-2022

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Gotta agree with you on this. I hate when stuff like this happens and people try to equate to if the same thing happened in their office or something. It's not the same thing. 

Your (i mean generally, not you specifically) accounting office is not the same thing as a high major college or professional athletic venue. 

There is no correlation, they're completely different things. 

Let me ask this:

How would the law look at this incident if it happened outside of a sports arena?

24 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Howard 5

Gard 1 

UW assistant 3

Truthfully, I can't see what player threw what, any player throwing a punch gets 3. I wouldn't worry about anything else from the players. 

Also, the UW coach that threw up the "suck it" sign. Yeah, he gets at least a game. That was bizzare. 

Seems reasonable to me. 

• Like 2

Just now, rico said:

Perhaps, but the "grabber" would face consequences as well.

Probably written up by HR or something. Like I said, Gard should maybe/probably get a game to Howard's 5ish games. 

But again, the sports arena is not the same thing as the offices or jobs the rest of us work in. Things are treated and handled much differently. Alway have, always will. 

Gard clearly instigated and Wisky is a punk team. That said, as was previously pointed out, this is really Howard's second offense. Although he didn't slap anyone against MD last year (he was restrained), he was verbally and physically threatening and nearly got his players involved in an altercation that time. 

Not a good example to lead a team. 

11 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

No, you call the games tight as heck until coaches realize that thug ball is going to result in their best players being on the bench 5 minutes into the first half.

You also have the power after games to review plays and take disciplinary action after the fact.  Take Davison for instance, in the past two weeks you have him "accidentally" punching a player in the mouth hard enough to draw blood and hitting another guy in the nuts.  To me, you come back after the games and say he has a pattern of unsportsmanlike behavior and you sit him.  And I would make those punishments cumulative.  He got suspended for the same crap last year so I would make the suspension worse based on a pattern of behavior.

Taunting opposing benches or the crowd after games?  Warnings to begin with and then start suspending guys.  It is not hard to reestablish control if you have the will to do so.  And if guys like Izzo cry, tough sh*t.  Learn to play within the rules or be forced to coach without several of your players each half.

Good point. The transition would be ugly as hell. It'd be worth it though - this has need to happen for years. The standards need to be reset.  

If this is the end result then I'm glad this whole thing happened. I hope it's a black eye for the conference and puts them under a magnifying glass. I unfortunately have no confidence the officiating will change any time soon. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Gotta agree with you on this. I hate when stuff like this happens and people try to equate to if the same thing happened in their office or something. It's not the same thing. 

Your (i mean generally, not you specifically) accounting office is not the same thing as a high major college or professional athletic venue. 

There is no correlation, they're completely different things. 

I am not sure if I posted this or not. Lost connection.  What Gard did happens everyday in college basketball.  We just don't ways see it. What Howard did almost never happens

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Also, 

UW you play stupid games, you win stupid prizes. They couldn't keep their mouths shut after a win and now you're going to have multiple coaches and players suspended. 

100% this was made possible by UW not thinking anyone would call their bluff on their BS. If you talk s***, you might get hit. 🤷‍♂️

Howard was like 99% in the wrong, but, when you act like a b****, don't be surpised when you get smacked lol all I'm saying. 

Gards stupid af for trying to start a conversation at that point too. There was no "hands on" though, that stuff happens all the time. Zero chance Howard should have felt threatened. Howard also chose to be THAT upset about a timeout. Both are absolute fools. 

Thank you! That was one of my points early on. Wisconsin absolutely brings this on themselves by constantly playing agitators. If you seek to constantly piss people off and get under their skin, don’t be surprised when you get hit in the mouth. 

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Howard 5

Gard 1 

UW assistant 3

Truthfully, I can't see what player threw what, any player throwing a punch gets 3. I wouldn't worry about anything else from the players. 

Also, the UW coach that threw up the "suck it" sign. Yeah, he gets at least a game. That was bizzare. 

Agreed, people are talking way too much about Gard and not the assistant. I’m sure there’s a reason Howard went after him and not Gard.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

on a related note... i definitely may be wrong, but interested what people have to say about this...how often is a guy who gets his first head coaching job at a big program only by his name, but a resume that does not deserve it successful?  my memory is horrible and i'm only thinking of a few, but Hardaway, Ewing, Howard, Mullin pop into my mind quickly as not exactly showing they were ready for the job they got.  

I don’t know if that’s fair to group Howard with those guys. He had been an assistant in the NBA and had been a guy rumored for NBA jobs. He’s also been successful and made a Final Four already. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I am not sure if I posted this or not. Lost connection.  What Gard did happens everyday in college basketball.  We just don't ways see it. What Howard did almost never happens

Ok, but, it was pretty clear Howard didnt want any part of it. He doesn't owe Gard anything. 

6 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don’t know if that’s fair to group Howard with those guys. He had been an assistant in the NBA and had been a guy rumored for NBA jobs. He’s also been successful and made a Final Four already. 

Howard has never been to a Final Four as a coach...only as a player