2022 through 2065 MLB Seasons

5fouls

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

The people need to realize that the clock will bring the game back to the pace of baseball back to what it use to be like. Most games use to take no more than 2.5 hours but over the years it changed. I am glad to get rid of watching batters adjusting their gloves after every pitch. 

Now just get rid of the DH and the stupid 3 batter rule and we'll all be happy!

Well, I will be at least 🙂

46 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I also love the 3 batter rule.  Nothing is more tedious in baseball than pitching changes.

I do hate the DH.

38 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I like the 3 batter rule as well

Both the DH and the 3 batter rule take all the strategy out of the game... One of the beauties of baseball is it wasn't governed by a clock... You had to get 27 outs...

Game was fine for over 100, and they're going to tinker with it til they break it... 

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Both the DH and the 3 batter rule take all the strategy out of the game... One of the beauties of baseball is it wasn't governed by a clock... You had to get 27 outs...

Game was fine for over 100, and they're going to tinker with it til they break it... 

The clock will bring back the pace if game we grew up with. Between the over use of bullpens that get out of hand and batters stepping out after every pitch the pace gotten to slow.  Back in the day when  starters pitched complete games and didn't try to strike everyone out the game had a great pace.

11 hours ago, IU Scott said:

The clock will bring back the pace if game we grew up with. Between the over use of bullpens that get out of hand and batters stepping out after every pitch the pace gotten to slow.  Back in the day when  starters pitched complete games and didn't try to strike everyone out the game had a great pace.

"The pace of the game"?

What does that even mean? 

20 minutes! Oh the horror!

"in the 1970s was around two hours and 30 minutes. Thirty years later, the numbers had grown to two hours and 45 minutes to two hours and 50 minutes"  

Jesus, it's entertainment! I thought more entertainment was better!

Face it, they dumbed down the game and quickened the "pace" so they can pocket the exorbitant amount and of money they charge you while giving you a lesser product... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

"The pace of the game"?

What does that even mean? 

20 minutes! Oh the horror!

"in the 1970s was around two hours and 30 minutes. Thirty years later, the numbers had grown to two hours and 45 minutes to two hours and 50 minutes"  

Jesus, it's entertainment! I thought more entertainment was better!

Face it, they dumbed down the game and quickened the "pace" so they can pocket the exorbitant amount and of money they charge you while giving you a lesser product... 

Not the length of the game but it is about all the down time there are in the game. Back in the 70's the game lasted around 2.5 and today it is over 3 hours. The reason is things like batters stepping out to adjust their gloves or scratch themselves.  They say today there is on average 4 minutes between balls being put in play. They have way more pitching changes today than they did in the past. So these changes will bring back the game we grew up with.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Not the length of the game but it is about all the down time there are in the game. Back in the 70's the game lasted around 2.5 and today it is over 3 hours. The reason is things like batters stepping out to adjust their gloves or scratch themselves.  They say today there is on average 4 minutes between balls being put in play. They have way more pitching changes today than they did in the past. So these changes will bring back the game we grew up with.

There's a direct correlation between length of games and strikeouts. It only stands to reason strikeouts create longer at bat than an out via a fly ball or groundout. That's part of where your 4 minutes comes from.

Pitcher use is all derived from starters pitching less innings which is a result of the astronomical salaries of today. Good pitching has always been a winning formula, and the teams are going to protect their investment. I know they'll never do it, but expand the rosters to 30, with a max of 15 pitchers and get rid of the stupid 3 batter rule... Make the managers actually manage rather than simply filling out the lineup card and managing egos...

They'll never bring back the game of the 70s and 80s...Too much emphasis on power both pitching and hitting... Another residual effect of the Juicer Era... 

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

There's a direct correlation between length of games and strikeouts. It only stands to reason strikeouts create longer at bat than an out via a fly ball or groundout. That's part of where your 4 minutes comes from.

Pitcher use is all derived from starters pitching less innings which is a result of the astronomical salaries of today. Good pitching has always been a winning formula, and the teams are going to protect their investment. I know they'll never do it, but expand the rosters to 30, with a max of 15 pitchers and get rid of the stupid 3 batter rule... Make the managers actually manage rather than simply filling out the lineup card and managing egos...

They'll never bring back the game of the 70s and 80s...Too much emphasis on power both pitching and hitting... Another residual effect of the Juicer Era... 

The other day in spring training Wandy Peralta struck out a batter in 3 pitches and the at bat was 20 seconds. The person talking about that said before the clock that same at bat took about 1.5 minutes. I hated seeing managers making 3 or 4 pitching changes in the inning and love seeing the 3 batter rule. It still gives you strategy because you have to know what pitchers to bring in at the right time. You have to know what lefties can get out right handed batters out.

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The other day in spring training Wandy Peralta struck out a batter in 3 pitches and the at bat was 20 seconds. The person talking about that said before the clock that same at bat took about 1.5 minutes. I hated seeing managers making 3 or 4 pitching changes in the inning and love seeing the 3 batter rule. It still gives you strategy because you have to know what pitchers to bring in at the right time. You have to know what lefties can get out right handed batters out.

Disagree on the strategy

As a manager I'd much rather have to think through every batter than every forth batter... But that's fine...

A fly out or groundout can be 1 pitch, 2 pitches, while a K is at least 3...

The most drastic measure to bring the game back to generating runs through some other means than the home run would be moving fences back, as well as the mound... That would also make for less strikeouts. And for good measure, bring in Robo-Umps so they get balls and strikes accurately 😁

Either that or finagle the balls and bats to where they don't get as much "launch angle" 🤮... 

Edited by IUFLA

13 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Reds won a game today and also lost a game today since they play with a split squad games

Pitching was bad in both.  Reds may finish the season with a team E.R.A. north of 6.00, heck maybe 7.00.

Edited by 5fouls

25 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Team E.R.A for Spring Training currently a MLB worst 8.15.  Marlins, A's & Giants are other teams over 7.00.

If it was the end of April I would be alarmed(pissed).  I get that the young starters are working on stuff but Greene, Ashcraft, and Overton are north of that 8.15 mark.