2022 through 2065 MLB Seasons

5fouls

Just now, 5fouls said:

The Reds sent down 5 players to the minor league camp today.  

Among them, Elly De La Cruz, Matt McLain, and wait for it.........Christian Encarnacion-Strand. 

I hate the Reds front-office.  

If you are going to suck at least do it with some of your young top prospects like Strand

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Among them, Elly De La Cruz, Matt McLain, and wait for it.........Christian Encarnacion-Strand. 

Maybe a cheapo move like the Cubs did to Kris Bryant to delay his free agency time? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If you are going to suck at least do it with some of your young top prospects like Strand

Apparently, it indicates Votto is going to be ready for opening day.  But, still, why not try it and see what happens.  It's not like he's 19 years old either.  He's 23.  

Just now, 5fouls said:

Apparently, it indicates Votto is going to be ready for opening day.  But, still, why not try it and see what happens.  It's not like he's 19 years old either.  He's 23.  

Actually watching the Reds/,Royal on MLB and Votto is playing 1st. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 5fouls said:

https://www.redlegnation.com/2023/03/14/christian-encarnacion-strand-elly-de-la-cruz-among-cincinnati-reds-roster-cuts/

On 3/16/2023 at 2:00 PM, IU Scott said:

Mets' Diaz likely out for season after tearing patellar tendon at WBC

https://www.thescore.com/wbc/news/2602747

This is why I am surprised that MLB organizations let their major league players play in this tournament 

Set the Diaz injury aside, because no, a player typically would not get injured during a celebration in Spring Training.  What other injury can a player get in the tournament that they could not get in a regular spring training game?  Jose Altuve got hit in the hand by a pitch last night.  Major concern for the Astros.  But, whose to say Altuve doesn't get hit in a Spring Training game.

Your argument holds some validity if we are talking about an event held in December or January.  But, we are talking about something that is essentially replacing Spring Training games for these players.  There is no extra risk.  Hamstrings may get pulled, batters may get hit, Pitchers may strain their arm.  All of those things could happen at the spring training complex/stadiums.

I know if I was a MLB player and had a chance to represent my country in this event and my team would not let me, I would be seriously pissed.

Edited by 5fouls

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Set the Diaz injury aside, because no, a player typically would not get injured during a celebration in Spring Training.  What other injury can a player get in the tournament that they could not get in a regular spring training game?  Jose Altuve got hit in the hand by a pitch last night.  Major concern for the Astros.  But, whose to say Altuve doesn't get hit in a Spring Training game.

Your argument holds some validity if we are talking about an event held in December or January.  But, we are talking about something that is essentially replacing Spring Training games for these players.  There is no extra risk.  Hamstrings may get pulled, batters may get hit, Pitchers may strain their arm.  All of those things could happen at the spring training complex/stadiums.

I know if I was a MLB player and had a chance to represent my country in this event and my team would not let me, I would be seriously pissed.

The big difference is, you pretty much have to participate in spring training for the team you're contractually obligated to.

WBC is a voluntary activity... Plus the fact that WBC play has to deal with losing Diaz for what? A handful of games?

The Mets, as much as I despise them, have to bear the burden for 162+ games... 

Edited by IUFLA

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The big difference is, you pretty much have to participate in spring training for the team you're contractually obligated to.

WBC is a voluntary activity... Plus the fact that WBC play has to deal with losing Diaz for what? A handful of games?

The Mets, as much as I despise them, have to bear the burden for 162+ games... 

To grow the sport, you have to promote the sport.  The passion of the crowds at the WBC games exceed anything MLB puts on the field, up to and including, the World Series.  

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

To grow the sport, you have to promote the sport.  The passion of the crowds at the WBC games exceed anything MLB puts on the field, up to and including, the World Series.  

I was flipping back and forth last night.  Geez, that crowd was electric.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I get that, but if I'm an owner, and I'm trying to help grow the sport, I'm doing it with minor league guys who don't figure in our plans this year...

The way it stands, the Mets fans are getting handicapped in their season goals...

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I get that, but if I'm an owner, and I'm trying to help grow the sport, I'm doing it with minor league guys who don't figure in our plans this year...

The way it stands, the Mets fans are getting handicapped in their season goals...

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that being asked to represent Puerto Rico in the WBC was something Diaz wanted to do despite any 'risk' (which, as indicated above really is not there other than something fluke such as this).  It's not like the WBC happens every year. Diaz may never have an opportunity to represent his country again.

And, minor leaguers?  Really?  How does that promote the game?  I know I'm watching because it's Trout, Betts, Turner, Arenado, Schwarber, etc. vs. the likes of Altuve, Acuna, Freeman, Lindor, Ohtani, etc.  I'm not going to watch if it's a bunch of minor leaguers or players from the Korean league, and I doubt 90% of the other people watching would either.

Scrapping something that generates this much interest because of a freak injury that could just have easily happened if he slipped in the shower would be short-sighted in my mind.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

There is this thing called The World Cup in soccer.  It seems to do pretty good.  Do Manchester United fans worry about injuries or are those same fans cheering for England to win the thing?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that being asked to represent Puerto Rico in the WBC was something Diaz wanted to do despite any 'risk' (which, as indicated above really is not there other than something fluke such as this).  It's not like the WBC happens every year. Diaz may never have an opportunity to represent his country again.

And, minor leaguers?  Really?  How does that promote the game?  I know I'm watching because it's Trout, Betts, Turner, Arenado, Schwarber, etc. vs. the likes of Altuve, Acuna, Freeman, Lindor, Ohtani, etc.  I'm not going to watch if it's a bunch of minor leaguers or players from the Korean league, and I doubt 90% of the other people watching would either.

Scrapping something that generates this much interest because of a freak injury that could just have easily happened if he slipped in the shower would be short-sighted in my mind.  

Speaking of Altuve...I don't think you can get HBP in the shower :) 

The Little League World Series promotes the game, does it not? None of us has ever heard of the kids before we get there...I thought the international competition was what not only the LLWS but the WBC offered? 

I'm sure if the Mets or Astros miss the playoffs by a game or 2, they'll look back at the loss of Diaz or Altuve as a prime reason...And if the Reds lost a played by injury in the WBC, I'm sure you would too...I know I would if a Cub got injured...

2 minutes ago, rico said:

There is this thing called The World Cup in soccer.  It seems to do pretty good.  Do Manchester United fans worry about injuries or are those same fans cheering for England to win the thing?

I'll answer your question with a question...As a Reds fan, would you rather have the Reds win a World Series or have Reds player star for a US WBC winner?

20 hours ago, 5fouls said:

You convinced me 5f.

• Like 1