2022 through 2065 MLB Seasons

5fouls

9 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Wasn’t mean as a slight. Just that the comparisons are pretty damn spot on. Prob shouldn’t throw the LOL in there. 

Actually, I think there are a lot of guys even earlier than Dunn he compares to thus far.  Gorman Thomas, Rob Deere, perhaps even Jesse Barfield all come to mind in some ways.  Kyle just needs to keep doing what he is doing and do it for quite a few more years.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Cardinals are stinking up the joint even with having 3 of the 5 top WAR position players. Pitching staff once again is in shambles and the front office didn’t do anything to help even when it felt apart last year too. But hey at least they’re number 2 in attendance lol. No huge reason for the front office to spend money when they’re making so much of it from ticket sales. 

Yes, but with the watered down playoffs, they'll probably make it.

Maybe they can give the Yankees a chance to even up with them. They've played each other 5 times in the WS, with the Cards winning 3 of them. Some good history there... Pete Alexander, Bob Gibson... 

Adam Dunn...there's a blast from the past. Sorry, since my team sucks right now, the past is all I have. 

I remember circa 2010, for whatever reason, Tigers fans on Tigstown message boards had a massive man-crush on Dunn. Tons of fans wanted him in Detroit. They were convinced he was the missing link to a World Series team. In late 2010, the Tigers traded for Jhonny Peralta. The following offseason, Dunn went to the White Sox. Tigers fans were livid. They hated the Peralta trade, and now Dunn was with a division rival. 

Peralta had 2 of the 3 best seasons of his career with the Tigers. Dunn was a strikeout machine with the White Sox. 

Miss those days. 

• Like 1

The Reds are just a special kind of bad the lose the first game of a DH today.  The Pirates played last night in Pittsburgh and had a two hour rain delay and lost to the Yankees 16-0. They did not arrive in Cincinnati until 3:30 in the morning and played at 1:30 this afternoon. If you can't win that game against a poor team then you aren't winning many games.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, rico said:

Actually, I think there are a lot of guys even earlier than Dunn he compares to thus far.  Gorman Thomas, Rob Deere, perhaps even Jesse Barfield all come to mind in some ways.  Kyle just needs to keep doing what he is doing and do it for quite a few more years.

No idea who those guys are. Before my time I’m guessing. 

5 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Yes, but with the watered down playoffs, they'll probably make it.

Maybe they can give the Yankees a chance to even up with them. They've played each other 5 times in the WS, with the Cards winning 3 of them. Some good history there... Pete Alexander, Bob Gibson... 

plenty of jokes from Cardinal fans that we’ll do just enough to grab that third wildcard spot. We’re fortunate that the NL Central is hot garbage. 

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

Adam Dunn...there's a blast from the past. Sorry, since my team sucks right now, the past is all I have. 

I remember circa 2010, for whatever reason, Tigers fans on Tigstown message boards had a massive man-crush on Dunn. Tons of fans wanted him in Detroit. They were convinced he was the missing link to a World Series team. In late 2010, the Tigers traded for Jhonny Peralta. The following offseason, Dunn went to the White Sox. Tigers fans were livid. They hated the Peralta trade, and now Dunn was with a division rival. 

Peralta had 2 of the 3 best seasons of his career with the Tigers. Dunn was a strikeout machine with the White Sox. 

Miss those days. 

I loved Peralta when he was in STL those first two years before he got hurt. He was a stud. 

2 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

Miss those days. 

LOL.  Dunn was an AS with the Pale Hose.  Hell, he hit over 100 HRs for the Chisox.

17 hours ago, rico said:

LOL.  Dunn was an AS with the Pale Hose.  Hell, he hit over 100 HRs for the Chisox.

And...he was still a strikeout machine. 222 K's in one season, just one short of MLB's single-season record. He never hit above .219 and never had an OPS above .800. All-Star selections are more about name-recognition than anything else. 

14 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

And...he was still a strikeout machine. 222 K's in one season, just one short of MLB's single-season record. He never hit above .219 and never had an OPS above .800. 

Dunn would have fit in well in today's game.

On 7/7/2022 at 12:47 PM, Stlboiler23 said:

Wasn’t mean as a slight. Just that the comparisons are pretty damn spot on. Prob shouldn’t throw the LOL in there. 

That's okay.  We all know that, if he was a Purdue grad, the comparison would have been Babe Ruth.  :coffee:

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

No idea who those guys are. Before my time I’m guessing. 

You should make a commitment to study Baseball history.  By far the most interesting sport from a historical perspective, and it's not even close.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, rico said:

Dunn would have fit in well in today's game.

Just looking at past Reds seasons and 1982 is brought up as the worst season until this year. Just can't believe the difference in stats then compared to now.  Reds had 2 starters that walked more than they struck out. They had 3 guys hit higher than .280 and don't think this years has one  I don't think that team had a guy strike out more than 100 times.

Looked at the 95 season which was one of my favorite seasons and Barry Larkin only struck out 51 times the whole year while hitting .319.  That team also had 9 guys in double figures in steals

Edited by IU Scott

I know we talk about pitch counts some on here and just saw that it wasn't until 1989 that MLB started to keep track of pitch counts.  I was wondering about that and wonder when TV started showing pitch counts. Like tonight Castillo is already at 60 pitches through 3 so you know he won't be around after the 5th or 6th inning.  I liked it better when we didn't know the pitch count or that managers didn't worry about the pitch count.

24 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know we talk about pitch counts some on here and just saw that it wasn't until 1989 that MLB started to keep track of pitch counts.  I was wondering about that and wonder when TV started showing pitch counts. Like tonight Castillo is already at 60 pitches through 3 so you know he won't be around after the 5th or 6th inning.  I liked it better when we didn't know the pitch count or that managers didn't worry about the pitch count.

I'm sure the players did too... lol WTFFFF

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

In 1989 before Orel's contract Cal Jr was baseball's highest paid player at $2.4M per year. The elite arms make Cal's salary every other start now. Point is this. That much $ involved you have to protect the investment. I won't ever forgive Dusty for running Pryor, Wood, and Zambrano out there for 125 pitches every 5th day and shortening their careers.

So the question is this. Do you want 5-6 years of elite pitching for 120 pitches a game....or 12-13 years of 90 pitches per game? Those extra 30 pitches over 30 starts....900 extra pitches a year adds up to some damage. Give me the pitch count.