2022 through 2065 MLB Seasons

5fouls

10 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I don't want Kyle to come to the Reds on the downside of his career.  If he's not still in his prime, don't bring him home.

He's not going to be a Hall of Famer.  

I think the criteria for the HoF has got to change eventually, based on the way they play the game now...

Use to be based on seasonal achievements and records... But what records are going to be broken?

Pitching is so splintered that a solo no hitter will be a rarity. 20 win season? The last one was 11 years ago. What will be the measuring stick after guys like Kershaw and Verlander get in? 

Stolen bases? Nope... Anybody going to string together batting championships?

Schwarber probably won't be in the HoF, but I think the criteria is older fans judge a player by are our the window... 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 5fouls said:

I don't want Kyle to come to the Reds on the downside of his career.  If he's not still in his prime, don't bring him home.

He's not going to be a Hall of Famer.  

Hey, my train of thought is the Reds need a bat for a post season run...

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think the criteria for the HoF has got to change eventually, based on the way they play the game now...

Use to be based on seasonal achievements and records... But what records are going to be broken?

Pitching is so splintered that a solo no hitter will be a rarity. 20 win season? The last one was 11 years ago. What will be the measuring stick after guys like Kershaw and Verlander get in? 

Stolen bases? Nope... Anybody going to string together batting championships?

Schwarber probably won't be in the HoF, but I think the criteria is older fans judge a player by are our the window... 

Remember the BBWAA voters are getting "new school."  Metrics are relevant.

5 minutes ago, rico said:

Remember the BBWAA voters are getting "new school."  Metrics are relevant.

Yep. It's gobbledygook to me, but they'll understand it...

Interesting though... If Schwarber hits 500 HRs but has a lifetime BA of . 235, does he get in?

I'd imagine there's a metric to provide evidence one way or the other... 

Just now, IUFLA said:

Yep. It's gobbledygook to me, but they'll understand it...

Interesting though... If Schwarber hits 500 HRs but has a lifetime BA of . 235, does he get in?

I'd imagine there's a metric to provide evidence one way or the other... 

It will be about WAR.  LOL

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I take the Edwin Starr approach to WAR... 😁

LOL.

Kyle is lacking in the WAR dept.  He needs to pick up the pace and stay healthy.  But at this point in time, I don't see him even being a future border line HoFer.

11 minutes ago, rico said:

LOL.

Kyle is lacking in the WAR dept.  He needs to pick up the pace and stay healthy.  But at this point in time, I don't see him even being a future border line HoFer.

Maybe not, but back to the point of reevaluating HoFers. If Kyle gets to 500 (I know, longshot) does he gain consideration?

Beside the suspected juicers, everyone else in that club is in... 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Maybe not, but back to the point of reevaluating HoFers. If Kyle gets to 500 (I know, longshot) does he gain consideration?

IF he gets to 500 he has to be considered.

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Tough one. Been mentioned on here before but he compares quite a bit to Adam Dunn.  He had 462 home runs and is on the ballot but some have said he's on the ballot as a gesture more than anything else. 

Now if KS hits 500 and adds a couple more World Series titles to the resume I'd say he gets in. 

13 minutes ago, rico said:

If I was a bettin' man, I'd bet Kyle doesn't get to 400 HRs.

Staying healthy has always been the biggest thing. In his healthy years he's averaged 30+...and obviously this year he's on pace for much more.

Needs 219 more to get there so 6 healthy seasons I think he could but he's never been historically always healthy so I lean towards your side. Plus this is his 9th season which seems really odd to me...but probably wrong on this but I just don't see many guys playing 15+ years anymore. They get the $ and move along.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Staying healthy has always been the biggest thing. In his healthy years he's averaged 30+...and obviously this year he's on pace for much more.

Needs 219 more to get there so 6 healthy seasons I think he could but he's never been historically always healthy so I lean towards your side. Plus this is his 9th season which seems really odd to me...but probably wrong on this but I just don't see many guys playing 15+ years anymore. They get the $ and move along.

Spot on from my viewpoint.

Kyle's health is my biggest concern.

• Like 2

Doing the WFH thing until I test Covid-free.  Have the Tigers/Royals game on the TV in the background.  Daytime baseball is a treat.  I personally prefer to attend games at night due to the heat.  But, watching on TV?  Give me the day game every single time.

Gonna side with @IU Scottand say it would be nice to get some World Series games in the daytime again.  

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Doing the WFH thing until I test Covid-free.  Have the Tigers/Royals game on the TV in the background.  Daytime baseball is a treat.  I personally prefer to attend games at night due to the heat.  But, watching on TV?  Give me the day game every single time.

Gonna side with @IU Scottand say it would be nice to get some World Series games in the daytime again.  

Tigers are blacked out in my area.  

20 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I have no clue how many times the Reds or Dodgers or Pirates were in playoffs in late 70's/early 80's but as a kid the fastest I ever ran was from the bus stop to home  to catch MLB playoffs during the late afternoon. 

I can see the shadows ricocheting off the concrete surface in Cincy or St. Louis or Pittsburgh. Good stuff.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

To me day baseball is better to watch on TV as well.  Maybe it goes back to when the only games we got to see was the game of the week on Saturday afternoons.

34 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me day baseball is better to watch on TV as well.  Maybe it goes back to when the only games we got to see was the game of the week on Saturday afternoons.

I also saw Reds and Cubs day games when I was a kid.  

3 hours ago, rico said:

I also saw Reds and Cubs day games when I was a kid.  

Here in Indy we got like 30 Red games a year and all road games. Night had a few day games but not many.  I think we got cable around 84 and it was right at the start of summer so I was able to watch a lot of their day games.

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Here in Indy we got like 30 Red games a year and all road games. Night had a few day games but not many.  I think we got cable around 84 and it was right at the start of summer so I was able to watch a lot of their day games.

My point was that I watched baseball on TV other than NBC's "Game of the Week."  What was special about NBC's game was that I got to watch the American League.