St Mary's Pregame Thread

Reacher

26 minutes ago, jv1972iu said:

I would really like to see one or both find their stroke, but I just don't have the faith/belief that it's going to happen.  

FWIW, I've noticed that when PS & MK catch, then turn, then shoot, they rarely make the shot. But...

If they Turn, then catch, and then shoot, the probability goes up exponentially that they make it.

• Like 1

The travel fiasco orchestrated by the NCAA is such bullshit… They completely screwed us over by shipping us out to Dayton just so they could have the most watched First Four game ever (duh).  It’ll be pretty impressive if we manage to overcome that and win this game.  

That being said, if we could get 12 points combined out of Kopp and Miller, we could win this game going away… Gotta have somebody drop some threes tomorrow.

• Confused 1

14 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

....you mean this evening here in Hoosier Country!

I meant the last work call for the day which is scheduled to conclude at 5pm EST.  Then outside to fire up the grill and pop a few cold ones before the Hoosier's dance party.  Looking forward to it...going to be a long day. 

GO HOOSIERS!! 

26 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

I hope we don’t run out of gas. 5 games in 8 days for us and St Mary’s hasn’t played since March 8….

Maybe they'll be stale 🙂 

I honestly do believe we're going to have success inside and on the dribble drive tonight...Their big man, Tass, looked a little lazy on defense...I'm thinking Trayce has another big game...I also believe XJ will do well on the dribble drive...

We just can't fall in love with the 3 pointer coming down the stretch like we did for a while vs Wyoming...

I looked at a few of their game highlights, and while they are ok individual defenders, their team defense is excellent...but so is ours...

7 minutes ago, IUKane21 said:

I meant the last work call for the day which is scheduled to conclude at 5pm EST.  Then outside to fire up the grill and pop a few cold ones before the Hoosier's dance party.  Looking forward to it...going to be a long day. 

GO HOOSIERS!! 

Roger That! I'm super excited. I'm just glad that they aren't playing in the middle of the day.  I'm a HS teacher and the BIGTEN Tourney being on during class time was brutal. Now I can go home, drink a few and watch them play sitting in my recliner. Also, I won't have to help or answer questions from those meddling kids in class while the game is on...LOL!! 

.....I kid though.....I love teaching and love my students! During the first game in the BTT vs. Michigan, I was getting so angry and frustrated because of IU's poor play, that I turned the game off in class. I was noticing that I was becoming short with some of my kids when they were asking for help. I decided very quickly that it was time to turn off the game and get ahold of myself. I had already decided then that we were most likely going to lose. Well, we all know how that turned around.......lol

• Like 1

I like our chances tonight, we will see how the team responds to travel issues. If TJD can go for 25-30, then we need to find 30-40 from other guys. We do that, we can win.

St. Mary's is going to play disciplined ball, but we can beat them if we do the same. Let's go!!!!

• Like 2

So here are the St Mary's highlights against a team we're very familiar with, Wisconsin, from early in the year at the Maui Classic...in the video @Artesian_86 posted the commentators said St Mary's plays like a Big 10 team, and that seems to be the case...

Johnny Davis had a good game for the Badgers (expected) but so did Tyler Wahl whose game is very similar to Race Thompson's... Hoping Race can rebound and have a great game against the Gaels... 

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I really think advancing in the tourney will come down to if Kopp and Stewart can hit a few outside shots to loosen up the D on TJD.

We haver to shoot better though.  We're not gong to win playing like we did against Wyoming.  Kopp and PStew need to give us something offensively. 8-10 from each would come up huge for us.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I really think advancing in the tourney will come down to if Kopp and Stewart can hit a few outside shots to loosen up the D on TJD.

I said somewhere earlier in the forum, the "X" factors to IU making a run are these two making some shots from range.  I really hope that we can get Kopp freed up a few times from the corner as he seems to shoot pretty well from there when not rushed. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

Two 3's a piece and a combined 15 points with our standard brand of defense and we will beat them. Tonight is Kopp's night. St. Mary's rotation has numerous players that Kopp can match athletically and stay in front of defensively. 

• Like 3

Looking at St Mary’s schedule they have loses to San Diego state, Wisconsin, Santa Clara, Gonzaga twice, byu, and Colorado state. All those games they have really struggled to score and been low scoring affairs. They have a great defense for sure. But they are very beatable. Only 2 of their losses have they score above 60 and one game in overtime. All other they were held below that. I think our game play needs to be to keep them under that and sacrifice a few chickens, pigs, goats, etc to make some shots…

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

So here are the St Mary's highlights against a team we're very familiar with, Wisconsin, from early in the year at the Maui Classic...in the video @Artesian_86 posted the commentators said St Mary's plays like a Big 10 team, and that seems to be the case...

Johnny Davis had a good game for the Badgers (expected) but so did Tyler Wahl whose game is very similar to Race Thompson's... Hoping Race can rebound and have a great game against the Gaels... 

The big guy with a knee brace doesn't seem mobile enough to stay with TJD. I'm looking for a lot of lobs to him for easy buckets.

• Like 1

I know many will disagree but I look at this game and beyond as gravy. Getting into the field of 64 is the ceiling for how this team plays on average. Now if we play above average (like we did in the BTT) we could win and advance. 5th game in a week plus a cross country red-eye is a lot to overcome physically even for 20 year olds.

• Like 3

Hoping Xavier has a big night with his athleticism…Wyoming was probably one of his worse games in a while (although not awful) so I’m hoping he bounces back. Need penetration to break down this solid team defense and get them moving. Should open up shots for our guys on the wing and drop offs for Race and Trayce.

• Like 1