2024 Flory Bidunga Commits to Kansas

2 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

The appeal of Duke will wear off eventually, if they don’t continue to have the success under Scheyer that they had under coach K. Not to mention they play in a glorified HS gym, and facilities do matter. They’ve gotten by on the ESPN hype of “Cameron Indoor”, but that will wear off too.

Very true... You don't hear much of an opinion one way or the other on Northwestern's Welsh-Ryan...

Except maybe from Miller Kopp 🙂

3 hours ago, rico said:

Duke is still gonna be Duke no matter who the coach is.  They will continue to get talent.

Not necessarily.  We thought Indiana was going to still Indiana after Knight left too.  That hasn't been the case.  Anybody coaching at Duke is still going to have to perform at a high level to continue to pull like they have.  Everybody has money now and everyone can spend it.

51 minutes ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

The appeal of Duke will wear off eventually, if they don’t continue to have the success under Scheyer that they had under coach K. Not to mention they play in a glorified HS gym, and facilities do matter. They’ve gotten by on the ESPN hype of “Cameron Indoor”, but that will wear off too.

And with the way ESPN has been trending, that hype machine might not have the same reach it did in the past either.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Not necessarily.  We thought Indiana was going to still Indiana after Knight left too.  That hasn't been the case.  Anybody coaching at Duke is still going to have to perform at a high level to continue to pull like they have.  Everybody has money now and everyone can spend it.

I just don't see Duke withering away.  Things are different(NIL and the transfer portal) then they were when Knight got the axe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoosier4Life53 said:

I don't know about that, saw an article the other day about Schyer. A group of coaches were polled and they said Schyer is best recruiter in the game

Edited by IU Scott

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I don't know about that, saw an article the other day about Schyer. A group of coaches were polled and they said Schyer is best recruiter in the game

Is that because he is that awesome at recruiting or because he had success off Duke's name?  

He will need to be a good coach to keep it going.  That name isn't going to be a magic bullet in recruiting if they don't keep winning.

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Nah.  Duke wasn't crap before coach K.  IU and UCLA are textbook cases showing that giants can fall and have to dig out from under administrative/coaching mistakes.

That is a total misconception. They were in the championship game two years before coach K got there. Someone on another board once posted that Duke had more top 10 finishes from 1960-1989

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That is a total misconception. They were in the championship game two years before coach K got there. Someone on another board once posted that Duke had more top 10 finishes from 1960-1989

Scott, I can manipulate stats as well.  From 1966 to 1977, there's no NCAA tournament record at all.  Then three good years, then three bad years when K started there.  From 1971 to 1977, Duke didn't even appear in the national rankings.  There was a stretch from 1951 to 1971 when they were a top-20 team.  Then from 1971 until coach K got rolling in 1983, they literally had three good seasons.  Maybe saying they weren't crap before coach K is a bit of hyperbole, but there level of success was much much higher in K's reign than before and prior to K, they had more than one extended period when they went through a desert of underperformance.  If you look at the long-term record, you can draw a lot of parallels between IU and Duke, especially looking at each school before Knight/Coach K arrived.  The only difference being, IU won national championships before Knight.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/duke/men/

Also, in case you wonder, I won't address any more comments in the thread of a player who is now dead to me.

Edited by FKIM01
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Scott, I can manipulate stats as well.  From 1966 to 1977, there's no NCAA tournament record at all.  Then three good years, then three bad years when K started there.  From 1971 to 1977, Duke didn't even appear in the national rankings.  There was a stretch from 1951 to 1971 when they were a top-20 team.  Then from 1971 until coach K got rolling in 1983, they literally had three good seasons.  Maybe saying they weren't crap before coach K is a bit of hyperbole, but there level of success was much much higher in K's reign than before and prior to K, they had more than one extended period when they went through a desert of underperformance.  If you look at the long-term record, you can draw a lot of parallels between IU and Duke, especially looking at each school before Knight/Coach K arrived.  The only difference being, IU won national championships before Knight.

Also, in case you wonder, I won't address any more comments in the thread of a player who is now dead to me.

Duke was kind of like Wisconsin before K. Timeline is different but similar in view. 

• Like 1

It was Amaker..then Capel was the big recruiting giant before Scheyer…he hasn’t done much on his own. Scheyer will have to win and play a style that suits recruits and more importantly get them in the nba to continue. I foresee the next 3-4 years he shouldn’t have a problem but if he gets on the hot seat if they aren’t winning….yeah kids aren’t going to just blindly go there.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 2

On 7/18/2023 at 1:35 PM, IUFLA said:

I've never liked Dickinson because he's a dirty player and a punk...

I never had a beef with Kansas until last year when they beat us, and then their haughty attitude during  the Mgbako recruitment (and the subsequent back stroking was hilarious)... But they're right in there with Kentucky, Purdue, and Illinois now as far as I'm concerned...

I hope we give them a total beatdown in SSAH this year... 

Dickinson is a legit head case.  He’s like that one friend in every group who doesn’t think right.  He’s a bizarre individual.   And I say this about a guy who is 100% irrelevant to IU basketball.  He’s not a rival; he’s irrelevant.  His latest nonsensical insanity is talking publicly about how Kansas people are nicer than in Ann Arbor.  I forgot his comment about people in Bloomington too.  There was that video of him showing off his car.  He’s a whack job.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, iuswingman said:

Is that because he is that awesome at recruiting or because he had success off Duke's name?  

He will need to be a good coach to keep it going.  That name isn't going to be a magic bullet in recruiting if they don't keep winning.

His in game coaching and player development are questionable at best.  I saw them play a lot and he’d need to improve drastically in coaching.  He can be a Calipari where he’s just a recruiter but look how irrelevant Kentucky has gotten.  You need prohibitively elite talent as a recruiter if that’s your route.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno

Regarding Bidunga, big yawn on him going elsewhere.  I am way past the age of being fixated on any individual player.  I’m 100% confident Woodson agrees with me.  Whoop de doo he’s not coming to IU.  If I were a betting man, Woody was “too real” for him.  Sometimes a reality check isn’t what a kid wants.  There’s always the next player and the earth won’t spin off its axis.  I don’t give a crap how he does.  He’s not an IU guy.  I want guys with the mental fortitude to play here.  If you can’t see how Woody has developed talent, then that’s on you and your mindset.  

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Excellent post. Thanks for clearing up that misconception.  I remember the Gminski/Banks year but it was an outlier. Pretending that’s who they were year after year is false.  That outlier year wasn’t much different from other schools who stopped by the final four for a cup of coffee.  It only becomes significant if looking at it from the lens of what K did over an extended period.

PS Kansas also had an extended period of irrelevance in that era.  

• 4 weeks later...