5-star guard Boogie Fland Commits to Kentucky

32 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Agreed. Those are great additions but none of them are true game wreaked or shot creators imo. We just missing that dynamo at the point. A high level shot maker who can not only create shots for himself but break down defense and do that for others. Cupps I think is a fine point guard…hopefully a deadly shooter to boot but I just don’t see him getting past his man and carving up a defense.

Disagree on Cupps, I think we will see that from him. My point is you need more than one of those, you need multiples of them. 

Curious how much money is still being thrown at these guys.  Rumor in Kokomo, supposedly,  straight from Flory's own mouth was that UK offered him 2 million a year.  We know that Oscar was getting something like that.  I think UK had to push all the chips in on Fland or risk the optics they were slipping in the pecking order.  Wonder what type of class they can afford to put around him?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Curious how much money is still being thrown at these guys.  Rumor in Kokomo, supposedly,  straight from Flory's own mouth was that UK offered him 2 million a year.  We know that Oscar was getting something like that.  I think UK had to push all the chips in on Fland or risk the optics they were slipping in the pecking order.  Wonder what type of class they can afford to put around him?

Geez, wonder what Dollar Bill’s winning bid was… prices have gone up since the Zion days…

1 hour ago, Boiler Sam said:

Geez, wonder what Dollar Bill’s winning bid was… prices have gone up since the Zion days…

Exactly.   Good for them but it's crazy.  How sustainable is this?  If I'm really rich, I may tell Woodson and Dolson, look, I'll give you 10 mil a year for 3 years and if you can't get a championship in that window, I'm out of the NIL business.   

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Exactly.   Good for them but it's crazy.  How sustainable is this?  If I'm really rich, I may tell Woodson and Dolson, look, I'll give you 10 mil a year for 3 years and if you can't get a championship in that window, I'm out of the NIL business.   

Why do people always question the sustainability of NIL, but not coach salaries? If I recall, we had something like 70 million lined up for Stevens to be our coach. Why would the people who were going to provide those funds not cough up money for players? Even if NIL doesn't grow the pool of money (I think it probably does grow it, but that's just a guess), there will still be enough to pay a kid 2 million a year.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

19 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

Why do people always question the sustainability of NIL, but not coach salaries? If I recall, we had something like 70 million lined up for Stevens to be our coach. Why would the people who were going to provide those funds not cough up money for players? Even if NIL doesn't grow the pool of money (I think it probably does grow it, but that's just a guess), there will still be enough to pay a kid 2 million a year.

Huh?  Tv deals and ticket sales pay athletic department salaries.  And enough to build new geology buildings with the surplus.  Each B1G school got 58 million from TV alone in 2022.  These funds are not allowed to pay NIL.  NIL is from private money.  

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/big-ten-leads-power-five-conferences-with-845-6-million-in-revenue-in-2022-fiscal-year-per-report/

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2019/06/19/indiana-university-using-big-ten-network-money-more-than-just-athletics/1357099001/

Edited by NotIThatLives
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Huh?  Tv deals and ticket sales pay athletic department salaries.  And enough to build new geology buildings with the surplus.  Each B1G school got 58 million from TV alone in 2022.  These funds are not allowed to pay NIL.  NIL is from private money.  

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/big-ten-leads-power-five-conferences-with-845-6-million-in-revenue-in-2022-fiscal-year-per-report/

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2019/06/19/indiana-university-using-big-ten-network-money-more-than-just-athletics/1357099001/

I can't say I know the ins and outs of how an AD budget is organized, but I do know every time there is a buy-out or a huge contract offered to get a new guy, there are countless articles about booster money. I don't have the time to Google for a source, but they're not hard to find. I would assume that there is a more or less set budget that ADs can't deviate from easily, so if they need money to make a change (as they often do), they need to get it from boosters. 

The first result I found show that in 2017, before NIL, the average BIG school had over 25 million in athletic department donations. That, presumably, isn't even including special fundraising to move to a new big name guy.

https://dbknews.com/2018/07/07/maryland-athletic-department-revenue-big-ten-tv-contract-payout-ticket-sales-donations/

That's the money that will go to kids. Individual schools need obviously have to figure out how that get's divided up between the school and the kids, but I would guess a school that wants to be successful would send as much as possible to the players. That money has been there for years and I can't imagine it drying up. I would guess it will grow now that there is a more direct result on the court (ie. a player comes rather than merely a coach who often doesn't get the job done). If you don't think a school can direct donors to give that money to some collective rather than the athletic department itself, I don't know what to tell you. 

23 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

I can't say I know the ins and outs of how an AD budget is organized, but I do know every time there is a buy-out or a huge contract offered to get a new guy, there are countless articles about booster money. I don't have the time to Google for a source, but they're not hard to find. I would assume that there is a more or less set budget that ADs can't deviate from easily, so if they need money to make a change (as they often do), they need to get it from boosters. 

The first result I found show that in 2017, before NIL, the average BIG school had over 25 million in athletic department donations. That, presumably, isn't even including special fundraising to move to a new big name guy.

https://dbknews.com/2018/07/07/maryland-athletic-department-revenue-big-ten-tv-contract-payout-ticket-sales-donations/

That's the money that will go to kids. Individual schools need obviously have to figure out how that get's divided up between the school and the kids, but I would guess a school that wants to be successful would send as much as possible to the players. That money has been there for years and I can't imagine it drying up. I would guess it will grow now that there is a more direct result on the court (ie. a player comes rather than merely a coach who often doesn't get the job done). If you don't think a school can direct donors to give that money to some collective rather than the athletic department itself, I don't know what to tell you. 

You originally said coaches contracts but have now changed it to buyouts.  Therefore I can agree.  I'm pretty sure it was even public from Dolson that Archie's buyout came via a booster or 2???   

I'm just curious about it all.  Does it ebb and flow?  Does a mega donor say they are pledging 10 mil a year until death or do they say, here's 10 mil a year to NIL you got three years to produce results before I back down to like 1 mil a year.  That 25 mil average comes from thousands of boosters.  I'm curious about the top 5 big dogs.  The strings attached types of big players.  Info we will likely never know unless someone happens to be friends with the ultra rich.  

10 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

So? Per Trilley’s write up, it appeared it was early last week. I personally didn’t think he’d go elsewhere on Hoosier Hysteria day. But I was wrong about that, so 🤷🏽

I know some don’t think that’s a big deal, but I think it speaks a little bit to his character. I would have never thought about doing that, and my parents wouldn’t have let that happen. I’d be picking another day. Tells me that he has a pretty big ego, thinks he’s much bigger than he is. Petty on my part? Maybe, but it doesn’t take much effort to be mindful of somebody you apparently have a lot of respect for. 🤷🏻‍♂️ And I guarantee Woody would shrug his shoulders and not give a damn about it, because he’s confident in what he’s doing… on to the next one. But disrespectful in my book. I think Liam was a much more important get. We’ll be fine with Cupps. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I know some don’t think that’s a big deal, but I think it speaks a little bit to his character. I would have never thought about doing that, and my parents wouldn’t have let that happen. I’d be picking another day. Tells me that he has a pretty big ego, thinks he’s much bigger than he is. Petty on my part? Maybe, but it doesn’t take much effort to be mindful of somebody you apparently have a lot of respect for. 🤷🏻‍♂️ And I guarantee Woody would shrug his shoulders and not give a damn about it, because he’s confident in what he’s doing… on to the next one. But disrespectful in my book. I think Liam was a much more important get. We’ll be fine with Cupps. 

Tells me that it could very well be that when he picked the date he WAS headed to IU and dad maybe stepped in and talked him out of it.

3 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

So, as much as we want to believe all the conspiracy theories about Cal and this recruitment, it could have come down to the simple fact that multiple PUKe guards  have made it to the league, and CMW has placed one 

Aside from recruiting and getting guys who will make it anyway, there's not really any secret sauce to Cal's success.

We about ready to flush this one?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

Tells me that it could very well be that when he picked the date he WAS headed to IU and dad maybe stepped in and talked him out of it.

I think you’re prob right, but is it that hard to say, “hold on folks, I’m going to delay it another couple days” if indeed you’ve changed your mind? 

1 hour ago, iuswingman said:

I don't think it is that big of a deal that he picked someone else on the same day as hoosier hysteria.  Not like that is a national holiday or anything.

I doubt it even phased Woodson other than being disappointed on losing out on a recruit.

Picking UK over IU is already a flip of the bird…a UK kid isn’t going to feel sorry for IU by choosing them on HH day. 

Cal has a very very long track record with pg success…no matter if you believe he helped at all just his selecting them is a seal of approval it isn’t like they are hurting their chances by going to UK. It’s a more successful program, nicer facilities, and has put more guys into the nba. I don’t blame him.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Never said it was a done deal.  The staff however thought it was.  Things were looking good and I said things can always change and they did. 

people like to get mad when someone has what they dont. In this case it's inside information and its all your fault lol

• Haha 2