5-star guard Boogie Fland Commits to Kentucky

Just now, 02Hoosier said:

That’s exactly what it sounds like. May be one of those situations where “mentors” have their own agenda that may not match the players choice or best interest.

I don't think losing a kid that refers to himself in the 3rd person is the worst thing.

Best of luck to him. We will be just fine.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Disclaimer, this is not a "sour grapes, we didn't want him anyways" post. I absolutely wanted Fland for both his talent, position and the perception of getting two 5*'s in one week against KU and UK. 

We need to be stacking high-end talent in these classes, and especially in the backcourt. 

I wanted us to land Fland. Just making it crystal clear. 

With all of that said, I am perfectly comfortable with a sophomore Gabe Cupps as our point guard next season. I was hoping to have Fland and Cupps together, but I'm perfectly comfortable with Cupps running the show next year. 

I'd even argue a sophomore Cupps has more potential to impact winning at the college level next year as a point guard than a freshmen Fland. 

Now, we need to add more talent in the backcourt. More playmakers, more creators, etc., but I'm good with Cupps. 

Same. We always want 5 stars but Cupps in a year from now?? Who knows how good the kid will be. Time will tell. With the portal, reclassification, etc...missing out on kids like Boogie hurts but it's a short funeral. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Disclaimer, this is not a "sour grapes, we didn't want him anyways" post. I absolutely wanted Fland for both his talent, position and the perception of getting two 5*'s in one week against KU and UK. 

We need to be stacking high-end talent in these classes, and especially in the backcourt. 

With all of that said, I am perfectly comfortable with a sophomore Gabe Cupps as our point guard next season. I was hoping to have Fland and Cupps together, but I'm perfectly comfortable with Cupps running the show next year. 

I'd even argue a sophomore Cupps has more potential to impact winning at the college level next year as a point guard than a freshmen Fland. 

Now, we need to add more talent in the backcourt. More playmakers, more creators, etc., but I'm good with Cupps. 

Yeah, our starting lineup next year is fine assuming we bring back who we think we will. I would like more depth, but if the worst case is:

GC

TG

LM

KB

MR

Thats a very good team. PS, CJG, JN is a promising bench. And we know we aren’t done adding high quality guys either via recruit or the portal. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

https://burnerball.com/recruitment-post-mortem-boogie-fland/

Not sure if this was posted previously or not. 

Saw that as well. Just goes to show. Sounds like he was IU bound until mid week and something happened. Nothing you can do about that. We can follow up on the kid to see if he gets Keion Brooks, Teague development or not.

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Saw that as well. Just goes to show. Sounds like he was IU bound until mid week and something happened. Nothing you can do about that. We can follow up on the kid to see if he gets Keion Brooks, Teague development or not.

Yeah, for his sake he better be NBA ready when he hits UK because they sure as sh** don't develop it. 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, BGleas said:

Definitely agree here, and while I’m disappointed that we missed on Fland, at least we’re swinging. I also think that elite level guard play is what this team has been missing for the last several seasons. We’ve obviously landed some talented bigs, but we need guys who can handle, create and such. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Danomatic said:

Definitely agree here, and while I’m disappointed that we missed on Fland, at least we’re swinging. I also think that elite level guard play is what this team has been missing for the last several seasons. We’ve obviously landed some talented bigs, but we need guys who can handle, create and such. 

Come tournament time this is where the game is won. Shot making, breaking down defenses, ability to score at all 3 levels…they just make the game easier for everyone playing around them.

Bigs are great..but it’s much easier to take the ball out of their hands and defend a team like that…you got guards that can create…going to be a continuous onslaught all night….better be dialed in.

Edited by dgambill
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Come tournament time this is where the game is won. Shot making, breaking down defenses, ability to score at all 3 levels…they just make the game easier for everyone playing around them.

Bigs are great..but it’s much easier to take the ball out of their hands and defend a team like that…you got guards that can create…going to be a continuous onslaught all night….better be dialed in.

Yup, and that's why I really wanted Fland. Like i said, I'm comfortable with Cupps as our PG moving forward, but you still need multiple playmakers and creators in the backcourt and on the wings. 

That's been IU's issue since really Yogi's senior year. That team had Yogi, Robert Johnson, JBJ (until he got hurt) and Troy Williams who could all handle to varying degrees, get to the rim and shoot. 

The 2013 team had Yogi, VO, Hulls, Sheehey, Watford (not as athletic, but still a hybrid big/wing that could shoot, pass, handle a bit and finish in the paint), etc. 

I was at the St. Peter's/Purdue Sweet 16 game, that St. Peter's backcourt and wings came at Purdue in waves with multiple guys that could handle, hits 3's, make floaters and mid-ranges in the lane, etc. 

I think back to that Baylor team that won the title a few years ago, numerous guards and wings that were 3-level scorers. 

IU hasn't had that since 2016. We need much more skill and talent at the 1-4 spots. 

With that said, Cupps, Mgbako, Banks, and McNeely are a great start, but we need to be stacking multi-skilled talent at those spots. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yup, and that's why I really wanted Fland. Like i said, I'm comfortable with Cupps as our PG moving forward, but you still need multiple playmakers and creators in the backcourt and on the wings. 

That's been IU's issue since really Yogi's senior year. That team had Yogi, Robert Johnson, JBJ (until he got hurt) and Troy Williams who could all handle to varying degrees, get to the rim and shoot. 

The 2013 team had Yogi, VO, Hulls, Sheehey, Watford (not as athletic, but still a hybrid big/wing that could shoot, pass, handle a bit and finish in the paint), etc. 

I was at the St. Peter's/Purdue Sweet 16 game, that St. Peter's backcourt and wings came at Purdue in waves with multiple guys that could handle, hits 3's, make floaters and mid-ranges in the lane, etc. 

I think back to that Baylor team that won the title a few years ago, numerous guards and wings that were 3-level scorers. 

IU hasn't had that since 2016. We need much more skill and talent at the 1-4 spots. 

With that said, Cupps, Mgbako, Banks, and McNeely are a great start, but we need to be stacking multi-skilled talent at those spots. 

Agreed. Those are great additions but none of them are true game wreaked or shot creators imo. We just missing that dynamo at the point. A high level shot maker who can not only create shots for himself but break down defense and do that for others. Cupps I think is a fine point guard…hopefully a deadly shooter to boot but I just don’t see him getting past his man and carving up a defense.

19 hours ago, 5fouls said:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/38704749/five-star-guard-boogie-fland-picks-kentucky-indiana

Apparently, Cal's humor won him over.  Funny guy, that Coach Cal.  

Five-star guard Boogie Fland announced his commitment on Friday, picking John Calipari and Kentucky over Indiana.

Alabama was also on Fland's final list of three, but this became a Kentucky vs. Indiana battle over the last few weeks. The Hoosiers appeared to be in the driver's seat down the stretch, but Calipari and the Wildcats finished strong and won over Fland.

"The visit played a big part in my decision," Fland told ESPN. "It was fantastic. It blew me away. The setup there is incredible, the gym is right next to the housing lodge. My host was D.J. Wagner. We played USA basketball together and bonded. On my visit, I watched practice and workouts. You go against the best every day and that's what I want."

Since Fland visited in early September, Kentucky consistently sent multiple coaches to Archbishop Stepinac High School (New York) to watch the talented guard and make him a priority. Calipari and Fland developed a strong relationship during the process.

"He is a Hall of Fame coach who cares about his players," Fland said. "When he gave his Hall of Fame speech, his former players and coaches were up on the stage with him. He only wants the best for you. Off the court, he is a funny guy. He has a lot of jokes, and they are spot on.

"He told me this decision was like a marriage. You need to say, 'I do.'"

Sorry, this post started out with a short message, then I got carried away…..Please forgive me, I believe I’ve had too much coffee! Here goes…… Lol

- This is my only social media. I’m 55 years old and enjoy the simple things in life. I don’t do Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat or Tiktok….I only have a Facebook account because my wife and two daughters are always sharing beautiful photos/videos of my 3 wonderful grandchildren. I have vices like everyone does, but I choose to have my top social media of choices be HSN and BTB. 

- The point to all this is, because of all these various social media platforms, kids choices and decisions are so much more difficult to make these days. They are constantly being pulled one direction or another, moods/feelings change from one day to the next and outside influences factor in too. I imagine this was what Boogie may have been going through when he called off all coaches visits prior to his commitment. 

- I mean, Trilly mentioned he thought it was IU up until that Wednesday evening. I really wonder what the major, defining factor that had Boogie choosing the dark side? He mentioned the facilities and their convenience for players, Cal being funny and genuinely caring about his players. 
Was it a strong “used car salesman pitch” from Cal that lured him in or something as simple as the facilities or both? 

- I seriously think IU needs to take notes from some of these recruits, especially if praising player facilities and convenience are mentioned in the same sentence by a recruit. JMO! Lol

The End! 

• Like 2