5-star guard Boogie Fland Commits to Kentucky

Bummer.  Another example of how hints and tealeaves are just BS - and, of course, I fell for it again 😖.

There will be de-commits and portal players.  I just don't like relying on that route annually.

Maybe the worst part is the rapid loss of enthusiasm for McNeely.  He's a big win and the player I wanted most for a long while.

Anyway, back to fland, maybe the RR poster was correct - he's a nice player but not a superstar.  (still wish he chose us, though).

Edited by Zuckerkorn
  • Like 3

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/38704749/five-star-guard-boogie-fland-picks-kentucky-indiana

Apparently, Cal's humor won him over.  Funny guy, that Coach Cal.  

Five-star guard Boogie Fland announced his commitment on Friday, picking John Calipari and Kentucky over Indiana.

Alabama was also on Fland's final list of three, but this became a Kentucky vs. Indiana battle over the last few weeks. The Hoosiers appeared to be in the driver's seat down the stretch, but Calipari and the Wildcats finished strong and won over Fland.

"The visit played a big part in my decision," Fland told ESPN. "It was fantastic. It blew me away. The setup there is incredible, the gym is right next to the housing lodge. My host was D.J. Wagner. We played USA basketball together and bonded. On my visit, I watched practice and workouts. You go against the best every day and that's what I want."

Since Fland visited in early September, Kentucky consistently sent multiple coaches to Archbishop Stepinac High School (New York) to watch the talented guard and make him a priority. Calipari and Fland developed a strong relationship during the process.

"He is a Hall of Fame coach who cares about his players," Fland said. "When he gave his Hall of Fame speech, his former players and coaches were up on the stage with him. He only wants the best for you. Off the court, he is a funny guy. He has a lot of jokes, and they are spot on.

"He told me this decision was like a marriage. You need to say, 'I do.'"

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/38704749/five-star-guard-boogie-fland-picks-kentucky-indiana

Five-star guard Boogie Fland announced his commitment on Friday, picking John Calipari and Kentucky over Indiana.

Alabama was also on Fland's final list of three, but this became a Kentucky vs. Indiana battle over the last few weeks. The Hoosiers appeared to be in the driver's seat down the stretch, but Calipari and the Wildcats finished strong and won over Fland.

"The visit played a big part in my decision," Fland told ESPN. "It was fantastic. It blew me away. The setup there is incredible, the gym is right next to the housing lodge. My host was D.J. Wagner. We played USA basketball together and bonded. On my visit, I watched practice and workouts. You go against the best every day and that's what I want."

Since Fland visited in early September, Kentucky consistently sent multiple coaches to Archbishop Stepinac High School (New York) to watch the talented guard and make him a priority. Calipari and Fland developed a strong relationship during the process.

"He is a Hall of Fame coach who cares about his players," Fland said. "When he gave his Hall of Fame speech, his former players and coaches were up on the stage with him. He only wants the best for you. Off the court, he is a funny guy. He has a lot of jokes, and they are spot on.

image.png.f3c732cb0ebdb09219e043cee53aba21.png

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Bummer.  Another example of how hints and tealeaves are just BS - and, of course, I fell for it again 😖.

There will be de-commits and portal players.  I just don't like relying on that route annually.

Maybe the worst part is the rapid loss of enthusiasm for McNeely.  He's a big win and the player I wanted most for a long while.

Anyway, back to fland, maybe the RR poster was correct - he's a nice player but not a superstar.  (still wish he chose us, though).

It stings to not get Fland, but your point is spot on. Seconds barely passed once McNeely committed and the fanbase was already chomping at the bit for Boogie and Queen.

Sometimes its a good reminder to simply enjoy what you have -- especially when it's really good!

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

"The visit played a big part in my decision," Fland told ESPN. "It was fantastic. It blew me away. The setup there is incredible, the gym is right next to the housing lodge.

IU should use some of the $20M they're saving by not firing Tom Allen to upgrade facilities for the basketball team. 

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

....referring to Cal 

Puke Throw Up GIF - Puke Throw Up Vomit - Discover & Share GIFs

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, IUskim said:

So not to go sky is falling because it’s not, but where do we go now that we don’t have boogie? Portal?

I do believe the Coach Woodson and staff threw everything they had at this recruitment. I also believe they've kept their feelers out for others, if things don't go their way. JMO....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Artesian_86 said:

I do believe the Coach Woodson and staff threw everything they had at this recruitment. I also believe they've kept their feelers out for others, if things don't go their way. JMO....

Won’t be surprised if a Plan B pops up before Spring 

Perry?  Purdue is out or he is not interested 

Does he have playing time at UK!

ole Miss…. 🥱 

Just now, KDB said:

This makes it sting a lot more. Damn

Stings to read but I have the utmost respect for him putting all that info out there. 

Absolutely Brutal quotes:

“When October 16 arrived, we were met with an announcement for the announcement. Boogie was set to commit that day, but logistical issues pushed it back to the 20th, per multiple sources.

By this time, the Indiana based sources remained confident. They had accurately given us the timeline again and still considered themselves out in front. At this point, we were very close to releasing a prediction.

A message from one of our sources in New York on Tuesday of this week gave us pause. We were told there was a split decision in his camp and this would come down to the wire. By Wednesday, our Indiana sources started to waiver.

On Thursday afternoon, we received word from our best independent high school source that Kentucky would be the choice. By Thursday night, our Indiana sources told us the staffs were informed of the decision.”

6 minutes ago, KDB said:

This makes it sting a lot more.

I'm going to disagree. Laying it all out there shows we were, by all accounts, right there in it until the very end for one of the very top guard prospects in the class. I'm crushed we missed on Boogie, but reading this has me more confident in our chances at the next one.

• Like 1