5-star guard Boogie Fland Commits to Kentucky

Apologies in advance for the long post.

Beyond deflating. It’s just so rough being an IU fan. Frustrating that we can never seem to stack classes like others. All I want to feel for the first time in like honestly a decade is that our program has “gotten over the hump” and we have stability. Exhausted from all the extreme highs and lows. 

This recruitment was huge to me because if Ware has a good season, Woody can sell a lot of bigs in the portal after TJD’s year, so missing on Queen doesn’t sting as much. I think X is a solid PG but I don’t see him being an NBA 1st rounder by any imagination like Fino, so the pitch is more difficult from a player development perspective. 

I don’t blame Woody for going big or going home. He’s landed top tier out of state talent like Liam, Mgbako, Ware, JHS, Reneau to name a few. Those guys have and will have the biggest impact on our team. 

IMO, not walking away with either a regular season/post season conference title or a sweet sixteen/further appearance with last years squad hurt us a ton with recruitments like this. Recruiting is far easier when you have tangible evidence to present on visits.

We’re now essentially is a position where Woody has to take this current team and exceed expectations, otherwise, we’ll struggle in the portal and it’ll be the nail in the coffin in terms of keeping the momentum up from the past year/two. 

Ironically, the biggest thing keeping me optimistic is thinking about how Painter/Purdue never really recruit big name talents, but understand their roster and how to utilize players effectively. I really hope that Woody can develop a couple guys this year and we can attack the portal only needing to fill a couple key spots with Liam, Reneau, and (hopefully) Gallo as the foundation.

3 hours ago, RoadToZion said:

Not a troll job. He’s been wrong. He was just recently wrong on Givens. He was wrong on Flory. He told us Ledlum was coming here. Since when do we assume a random burner account is Jesus Christ?

I agree.  Even if it is Jesus' account, he couldn't help Pedro Cerano hit a curveball, so he definitely could be wrong on him going to UK!  I read this and for some reason that popped into my head.  Carry on!

• Like 1

Woody has landed a highly rated Spring decommit in each cycle so far. He's also been successful in the portal. The staff has been going hard after Queen for a long time and that pursuit is only going to ramp up now if we miss on Boogie. We only had 2 commits in Cupps and Newton last year after the season.. We ended up with 6 commits and a borderline top 10 class nationally, including two 5-stars.

We are going to be fine. The transfer portal and NIL has changed everything. We didn't win this one, but IU has the ability now to battle with the elite programs on a consistent basis and win big time recruitments. IU isn't in the conversation for Boogie Fland a few years ago. We are going to be alright.

• Like 4

Sucks to lose out on such a good PG recruit, it’s deflating for sure. However, many people didn’t think we would truly be in this recruitment, let alone in the final 2/3. So far, Woody/staff has proven he can recruit and do a heck of a job. It’s important, in my opinion, for us to still wait and see with Woody. Sometimes coaches come into programs, recruit like crazy, but then that flame starts to fizzle out.

All signs point to this being a continued success, and he’s still learning the recruiting game. He went all in for just a handful of ‘24 recruits, and it’s still not over even if we get 1 of the big 3. With who we have on staff with Woody, I don’t see recruiting being much of an issue. They are trying to recruit top level talent and are having success. No reason to go off the deep end when a top recruit doesn’t pick us when we have had JHS, Malik, MM, and now Liam within the last year choose to play for IU. Not to mention to a really solid core of players on the team that are no slouches.

IU does need to get better guards, but IU is in a much better place than it has been in quite some time. Regardless with how this recruitment is shaping up to turn out in a couple hours, IU is becoming more relevant and trending in a very positive way. 

• Like 2

For me Fland was the second most important recruit and losing him is disappointing. How disappointing will be determined if he is a one and done player or a 3 year player. If he is a one and done it might sting but in the long run not a big problem.  I have never bought into the thinking when someone says the best thing for IU is for Ware and MM leave after this season. It might help recruiting some but if you keep replacing your best players every year with other one and done players it won't help you build a true contender.

I also think people are sleeping on how good Cuppa will be especially his junior and senior years. If most of your players are really good players but are 3-4 year players I think it helps build your program. This is why I think you build around players like Reneau and Cuppa with more players who will stay longer like Banks and hopefully Newton. Then you sprinkle in the top players who might be one and done 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

First, this is not me calling out anyone because I truly enjoy the stuff guys bring to this board.  I am not questioning if they are actually hearing this because I believe they do.  

My question is where is all of this info coming from. I am not asking for names but how far down the phone line are you guys getting this info. I just question the people who are telling our insiders this info and not the insiders. We had three guys in the last couple of days saying it is IU and now it appears it is UK.  If I were the insiders I would start questioning your sources and how accurate they are.  It seems like the sources has been wrong more lately than they were correct.

I'm sure there is no one answer.

- Most, say it's a gut feeling. Gut feelings probably just come from reading the tea leaves on both sides: attention staff is giving recruit and attention recruits are giving staffs. 

- 'Sources' can be literally anyone. I think people listen to posters like Trilly because his sources are usually less degrees of separation from the actual source - whether that source be someone on the recruiting staff, the recruits inner circle or the recruit's HS teammates/coaches. 

- i've gotten info before, but nobody would listen to me because it's usually a friend of a friend who knows somebody close to the program. Is my friend a source? I guess technically, but not a valid one. 

Thus, all should be taken with a grain of salt. It's usually just an educated guess to placate to our rabid fan bases. And we eat it up because it's entertaining. Heck, 90% of these predictions are made before the recruit even knows where he's going. Nobody, no matter how good their connections, is Nostradamus. 

We'll be fine if we don't get Boogie. 

Let's just steal Ron Harper Jr. away from Duke/Rutgers and, like Ledlum, this will just be a blip on our memories. 😎

• Like 1

Out of nowhere, a new poster comes here yesterday claiming to have close ties to the program and guaranteeing that Boogie is coming to IU. I found his post to be a little too self-absorbed and wondered if it was a hoax. Time will tell, but if this guy is truly legit, yet as wrong as he could be, it just reaffirms to me that any proclaimed "insider" is only kidding themselves.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

I didn’t think he could commit to someone else on HH day. Apparently I will be incorrect 

I just can't get past the fact why Boogie would choose Cal over a genuine, down to earth, (consistently trending up on the recruiting trail) coach like Coach Woodson and instead choose Cal. I'm obviously biased....but,... Geeeesh!. I know all kids are different and want see things differently than others. This one is just a head scratcher to me. I can only think of the obvious that KY's wins and rankings carry weight...JMO

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I just can't get past the fact why Boogie would choose Cal over a genuine, down to earth, (consistently trending up on the recruiting trail) coach like Coach Woodson and instead choose Cal. I'm obviously biased....but,... Geeeesh!. I know all kids are different and want see things differently than others. This one is just a head scratcher to me. I can only think of the obvious that KY's wins and rankings carry weight...JMO

UK's pipeline to the NBA has "produced" big stars in the NBA, IU not so much. Woody has to keep going after these guys regardless. Everyone wants IU to have deep runs and tourney/conference success, so they have to recruit and pull in a few big guns. 

Edited by OGIUAndy

Just now, OGIUAndy said:

UK's pipeline to the NBA has "produced" big stars in NBA, IU not so much. Woody has to keep going after these guys regardless. Everyone wants IU to compete year in year out for deep runs and tourney/conference success, you have to recruit and pull in a few big guns. 

Having a number former KY players in NBA players is the only selling point I can come up with. Hopefully Coach Woodson will soon be the new shiny toy among recruits? lol

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

In the immortal words of Yogi Berra, "It ain't over til it's over."

But, if the kid picks UK, that's fine...He's doing what he thinks is best for him, as we all would...We may disagree, but it's his life...

Good luck whatever your choice is, Boogie...

It just seems like Deja vu all over again 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

UK's pipeline to the NBA has "produced" big stars in the NBA, IU not so much. Woody has to keep going after these guys regardless. Everyone wants IU to have deep runs and tourney/conference success, so they have to recruit and pull in a few big guns. 

UK’s pipeline? He isn’t developing anybody. The kids he gets are already first round talents. Maybe the high school  “kids” are dumb enough to believe that though. 

Edited by kyhoosier29
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, KDB said:

Woody has landed a highly rated Spring decommit in each cycle so far. He's also been successful in the portal. The staff has been going hard after Queen for a long time and that pursuit is only going to ramp up now if we miss on Boogie. We only had 2 commits in Cupps and Newton last year after the season.. We ended up with 6 commits and a borderline top 10 class nationally, including two 5-stars.

We are going to be fine. The transfer portal and NIL has changed everything. We didn't win this one, but IU has the ability now to battle with the elite programs on a consistent basis and win big time recruitments. IU isn't in the conversation for Boogie Fland a few years ago. We are going to be alright.

Like Ware…knowing these high end targets will be great when half inevitably transfer 

still shocked you didn’t get a lower level portal guy like Lance Jones….after X & TG the guard/wing minutes are open 

Guessing CMW didn’t see a fit