5-star guard Boogie Fland Commits to Kentucky

37 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

UK’s pipeline? He isn’t developing anybody. The kids he gets are already first round talents. Maybe the high school  “kids” are dumb enough to believe that though. 

They must be because they keep going there. Regardless, being able to tell recruits these guys went to UK: https://basketball.realgm.com/ncaa/conferences/Southeastern-Conference/8/Kentucky/258/nba-players is a recruiting strategy. I think we're already seeing that it's not working like it used to because of NIL. But it's still something to show/tell recruits. 

Edited by OGIUAndy

Guessing their compensation package for the point guard they hoped would reclass got shifted to Boogie. Doesn't really bother me anymore with NIL. We can now compete, but it doesn’t mean we get everyone we want. I wanted Boogie, he's gonna be a stud, wish him the best, but on to the next.

Keep in mind, if X didn't get hurt last season, JHS wouldn't have had the role he did last year. GC will be hard to keep off the floor as a sophomore, and he doesn't seem like the type to back down from a challenge. Gotta have guys that want to compete and compliment each other on the floor.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Artesian_86 said:

I just can't get past the fact why Boogie would choose Cal over a genuine, down to earth, (consistently trending up on the recruiting trail) coach like Coach Woodson and instead choose Cal. I'm obviously biased....but,... Geeeesh!. I know all kids are different and want see things differently than others. This one is just a head scratcher to me. I can only think of the obvious that KY's wins and rankings carry weight...JMO

Maybe style of play between the 2 conferences had an impact. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It was a joke because it was a Yogi Berra saying. The post I was responding to was IUFLA quoting Yogi Berra about it ain't over until it's over

This is not at all what I was talking about. I was talking about the Mgbako recruitment and seemed to be a heavy lean to Kansas and the day before was all  IU. 

18 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Guessing their compensation package for the point guard they hoped would reclass got shifted to Boogie. Doesn't really bother me anymore with NIL. We can now compete, but it doesn’t mean we get everyone we want. I wanted Boogie, he's gonna be a stud, wish him the best, but on to the next.

Keep in mind, if X didn't get hurt last season, JHS wouldn't have had the role he did last year. GC will be hard to keep off the floor as a sophomore, and he doesn't seem like the type to back down from a challenge. Gotta have guys that want to compete and compliment each other on the floor.

Yes! Solid post. 

• Thanks 1

Something to think about.

If Xavier Johnson and Boogie Fland opposed each other on the court today, who would have the upper hand?  My money is on X.

That is not intended to be a swipe at Boogie.  He very likely will have the more successful professional basketball career.

But, I think most of us would be in agreement that winning titles in the court is more important to our 'fandom' than winning every single recruiting battle.

PG is the most important position on a basketball team.  Experience plays a bigger part in the success of a PG than it does at any other position.

I'm not saying we always need a 6th year guy like X as our PG.  But, what I am saying is that, especially in the 'portal mania' world we have today, that championship level PG is easier to get ahold of than ever before.

Regardless of what school Boogie chooses, Mike Woodson knows what he is doing and will have someone ready to take over for X next year.

It may be Cupps.  It may be an experienced transfer.  Heck, it may even be Boogie since he's not officially announced.  

Give this coaching staff the benefit of the doubt.  It will all work out in the long run.

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If Xavier Johnson and Boogie Fland opposed each other on the court today, who would have the upper hand?  My money is on savior.

That is not intended to be a swipe at Boogie.  He very likely will have the more successful professional basketball career.

But, I think most of us would be in agreement that winning titles in the court is more important to our 'fandom' than winning every single recruiting battle.

PG is the most important position on a basketball team.  Experience plays a bigger part in the success of a PG than it does at any other position.

I'm not saying we always need a 6th year guy like X as our PG.  But, what I am saying is that, especially in the 'portal mania' world we have today, that championship level PG is easier to get ahold of than ever before.

Regardless of what school Boogie chooses, Mike Woodson knows what he is doing and will have someone ready to take over for X next year.

It may be Cupps.  It may be an experienced transfer.  Heck, it may even be Boogie since he's not officially announced.  

Give this coaching staff the benefit of the doubt.  It will all work out in the long run.

I don't disagree.

Obviously we landed Mgbako, Ware, McNeeley. Transfer portal is a big game changer etc. I 100% beleive we will be fine.

Personally, I just really want Fland as much as any recruit.

So for me, it stings. It sucks. And we will be ok.

All are true 👍 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

If Xavier Johnson and Boogie Fland opposed each other on the court today, who would have the upper hand?  My money is on X.

astute

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Exactly, hit the portal for an experienced PG next spring. 

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Heck even if he chooses Blue (I’m not convinced) he could do an Mgbako next spring and choose IU!