USC and UCLA to the Big Ten ?

14 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I still don't understand what about conference realignment makes college sports less enjoyable? 

It takes away a lot of rivalries and to me a conference is supposed to be about regional rivalry. It was at it's best when it was 10 with every big ten team being in the same region.  I guess if this is all you have seen you don't see the difference. For some of us who grew up loving college sports it is just a lot different.  You start messing with something people love and those people don't see the change being beneficial they won't be happy 

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

I remember in non-revenue sports we traveled all over the Midwest. No planes we drove. Even competed against a couple of Canadian teams. We did it because we loved our sport and loved competing.

I walked 5 miles to school each way...all up hill, both ways !! Buses were a luxury...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Drroogh said:

I remember in non-revenue sports we traveled all over the Midwest. No planes we drove. Even competed against a couple of Canadian teams. We did it because we loved our sport and loved competing.

My niece played softball at IU.  A majority of their season (especially the front end) was playing on road for extended treks to warm weather locations, because it was still cold in Btown.  The long travel has already been happening for both revenue and non sports on the collegiate level...neutral site games, holiday tournaments, international trips, etc. were already much in play across the board.  That ship sailed long before conference realignment.  

Regarding the question of what this is about...beyond money, this will provide a league that has brands and variety across a number of sports (more now with west coast schools bringing into play beach volleyball, more gymnastics, etc.) to give content that is very much desired into their own network along with other avenues.  I for one will love the opportunity to turn on the B1G network and not see contrived programming or replays more often than not.  They should be able to provide competitions through most of the waking time each day outside of summer.

Edited by IUALUM03
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

We can wrap it up and put a pretty bow on it, but there is no way on earth that this is good for non-revenue sports.

Laugh at me all you want, but I would not be surprised at all if 50 years from now that college sports conferences are migrating back to a more regional structure.

You're an optimist, I love that about you. 

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It takes away a lot of rivalries and to me a conference is supposed to be about regional rivalry. It was at it's best when it was 10 with every big ten team being in the same region.  I guess if this is all you have seen you don't see the difference. For some of us who grew up loving college sports it is just a lot different.  You start messing with something people love and those people don't see the change being beneficial they won't be happy 

I grew up before Penn St. was added and I love this, but I also like the boardgames, Risk and Monopoly, so this probably plays into a bit lol. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

My niece played softball at IU.  A majority of their season (especially the front end) was playing on road for extended treks to warm weather locations, because it was still cold in Btown.  The long travel has already been happening for both revenue and non sports on the collegiate level...neutral site games, holiday tournaments, international trips, etc. were already much in play across the board.  That ship sailed long before conference realignment.  

Regarding the question of what this is about...beyond money, this will provide a league that has brands and variety across a number of sports (more now with west coast schools bringing into play beach volleyball, more gymnastics, etc.) to give content that is very much desired into their own network along with other avenues.  I for one will love the opportunity to turn on the B1G network and not see contrived programming or replays more often than not.  They should be able to provide competitions through most of the waking time each day outside of summer.

Beach volleyball on BTN?  Now, you're talking.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

I grew up before Penn St. was added and I love this, but I also like the boardgames, Risk and Monopoly, so this probably plays into a bit lol. 

I just liked when in basketball where you played everyone twice and had a legit champion. For football most of the teams brought in only moved IU farther down the totem pole

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

i dont think a conference has to dictate a rivalry:

IU & UK

Miami & Florida & FSU

Notre Dame and all of their football rivalries

Georgia & GT

Coyote & Road Runner

Tom & Jerry

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

IU & UK

Miami & Florida & FSU

Georgia & GT

Coyote & Road Runner

Tom & Jerry

Also those are fun games but at the end of the day don't really matter towards anything 

21 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I love college sports, grew up loving college sports. 

But this whole post is a big opinion. Nothing wrong with that at all, but it isn't the gospel and it clearly (based on viewership) is NOT the opinion of the majority. 

I don't see that it's "a lot" different. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Scott, I am older than you and have been a college fan longer than you. I have come to accept the fact that change is going to happen regardless of my opinions. You have your right to not like the changes. But you and I can't do anything about them. And the constant complaining does nothing to bring benefit to this board. Your complaints are always the same. It gets tedious to read through posts with the same constant comments. I am not one to block posters, so I won't block you. Really though, if you are that unhappy about the state of college athletics, either stop following them or try to find something new to say.

16 minutes ago, ledies22 said:

IU & UK

Miami & Florida & FSU

Georgia & GT

Coyote & Road Runner

Tom & Jerry

Also those are fun games but at the end of the day don't really matter towards anything 

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

My last thing in this, if you are fan of IU football I don't think this will end well for IU football. When college football top 30 teams break away from the rest of college sports IU football won't be part of that.

It would be kind of hard to argue that the model now is good for IU.