NCAAF/National Scene

rico

37 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This would suck for Indiana, but for i think this would be super fun and entertaining as a fan. 

It gives us the top teams playing each other in a playoff format, gives smaller programs something to play for, and makes the season way more entertaining for more teams. 

For Indiana as an example, while the conference affiliation isn't as glamorous, the season also isn't over 4 games into it. You have league advancement to play for, etc.

I think this would be a really fun way to do college football. 

There’s an interesting idea but also some recency bias and a few head scratchers. We beat Illinois last year and their program has not been good for awhile. Made a bowl, I get it, but we’ve made a few. Kansas and Cal? Give me a break 🙄

If they were to do something like this I would like to see something done like they do in soccer, where underperforming teams are relegated and the best teams in the lower divisions get the opportunity to move up 

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Very interesting overall but where did TCU start the season last year?  Don't think they were in that top tier but yet they were able to finish near the top.  And it made for one heck of an exciting season.  

Yeah, not sure how that would work if a team greatly overachieves the league they're in during any given individual season. 

6 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

There’s an interesting idea but also some recency bias and a few head scratchers. We beat Illinois last year and their program has not been good for awhile. Made a bowl, I get it, but we’ve made a few. Kansas and Cal? Give me a break 🙄

If they were to do something like this I would like to see something done like they do in soccer, where underperforming teams are relegated and the best teams in the lower divisions get the opportunity to move up 

That's what the concept is. Read the tweet that Ant Wright quoted. It would be a relegation system where the bottom two teams move down a level each season and the top two from the level below move up. 

Imagine how much fun those lower tier bowl games would be if they were relegation games?

Indiana playing Virginia Tech or somebody in the Pin Stripe Bowl with the teams switching leagues next year on the line. So fun and interesting!

I think this would be really cool! 

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Missouri adds commitment from 5-star defensive end Williams Nwaneri
https://www.thescore.com/ncaaf/news/2692331 

Missouri able to keep an instate 5 star recruit at home but we can't ever do that. It isn't like Missouri is that much better of a program than we are.

I agree that IU isn’t that different from Missouri.  However, Missouri doesn’t have Notre Dame in their state nor do they have an OSU next door (I don’t view current Oklahoma to be an equal to OSU).  Heck they don’t even have another major D1 opponent like Purdue in their state.  

Edited by thirdgenhoosier

On 8/14/2023 at 6:54 PM, thirdgenhoosier said:

I agree that IU isn’t that different from Missouri.  However, Missouri doesn’t have Notre Dame in their state nor do they have an OSU next door (I don’t view current Oklahoma to be an equal to OSU).  Heck they don’t even have another major D1 opponent like Purdue in their state.  

When Nebraska was good they would have cleaned up in Missouri.

Will be curious to see how fans react to shorter games with clock not stopping every first down except for inside 2 minutes of each half. Me personally I'm for it. Not because I don't want more college football (I do) but these games were going 4+ hours routinely.

Something to keep an eye as we start the season.

10 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Notre Dame played like they were ready to make some noise in CFB this season. The ND QB transfer from Wake Forest looked like he was auditioning to play for a team on Sundays. His passes were accurate and on target.

This is where the transfer portal can change things in one year. His talent, leadership,  and moxy is something they have lacked at qb for quite some time. I know it was Navy, but he will have them in the hunt this season.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Notre Dame played like they were ready to make some noise in CFB this season. The ND QB transfer from Wake Forest looked like he was auditioning to play for a team on Sundays. His passes were accurate and on target.

Not bad for the "kid"....who is exactly 3 years older than Anthony Richardson. I don't know what the answer is but 24 year olds shouldn't be playing college football or basketball or any sport for that matter. 

• Like 2

On 8/28/2023 at 3:10 PM, Seeking6 said:

Not bad for the "kid"....who is exactly 3 years older than Anthony Richardson. I don't know what the answer is but 24 year olds shouldn't be playing college football or basketball or any sport for that matter. 

So you think there should be an age restriction?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, rico said:

So you think there should be an age restriction?

On 8/28/2023 at 3:10 PM, Seeking6 said:

If there were an age restriction, BYU wouldn't have a program

• Like 3

Just dropping this here to timestamp it. I had a random dream last night that the Dolphins won the Super Bowl this year. 

Not sure where it came from, I'm not a Dolphins fan, my team (Eagles) isn't a rival, and I have no connection to even caring about or following them. 

But if it happens, I'll let you guys know the lottery numbers too 🤣.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Just dropping this here to timestamp it. I had a random dream last night that the Dolphins won the Super Bowl this year. 

Not sure where it came from, I'm not a Dolphins fan, my team (Eagles) isn't a rival, and I have no connection to even caring about or following them. 

I dont want to wait til february to win the lotto. I want to win it now and put it all on the Dolphins :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Wrong thread.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rico said:

Wrong thread.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

You should not have told him Rico.  If the Dolphins do win the SB, he would have spent DAYS looking for this post in the NFL thread and never found it.  

• Haha 3