NCAAF/National Scene

rico

20 hours ago, rico said:

Bowl games dude.  I measure in bowl games.

When was the last time anyone talked about a bowl game that wasn’t part of the national championship discussion?? I appreciate your opinion but I don’t share it. Bowl games are entertainment during the boring holiday season but I imo they are nothing more than glorified exhibitions when A. just about all top players no longer play in them and B. the matchups are pretty much arbitrary. 

I can see why they are important for building confidence in the program and as a reward for the kids but heck…I can’t even remember when we last actually won a bowl game.

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

When was the last time anyone talked about a bowl game that wasn’t part of the national championship discussion?? I appreciate your opinion but I don’t share it. Bowl games are entertainment during the boring holiday season but I imo they are nothing more than glorified exhibitions when A. just about all top players no longer play in them and B. the matchups are pretty much arbitrary. 

I can see why they are important for building confidence in the program and as a reward for the kids but heck…I can’t even remember when we last actually won a bowl game.

Anyone that is a true IU football fan gets excited when the Hoosiers are in the mix for a bowl appearance.  

Just now, rico said:

Anyone that is a true IU football fan gets excited when the Hoosiers are in the mix for a bowl appearance.  

You’re right…I’m not a true IU fan. 😒 I’d expect that from Scott… I appreciate a bowl game…but if you asked me which I would take…a bowl win over Duke or a big10 regular season win over Ohio St….well it isn’t even close. The excitement level for me watching us play Michigan etc exceeds any bowl games…including the Tennessee or Ole Miss from the past few years. That said maybe I don’t appreciate bowl games because my team never plays in them so they carry little relevance to me. In the end all I remember of the bowl season is who was in the playoffs or years back who was on title contention in those New Year’s Day games. I know I have a different opinion than most…but it doesn’t make me less a fan.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

You’re right…I’m not a true IU fan. 😒 I’d expect that from Scott… I appreciate a bowl game…but if you asked me which I would take…a bowl win over Duke or a big10 regular season win over Ohio St….well it isn’t even close. The excitement level for me watching us play Michigan etc exceeds any bowl games…including the Tennessee or Ole Miss from the past few years. That said maybe I don’t appreciate bowl games because my team never plays in them so they carry little relevance to me. In the end all I remember of the bowl season is who was in the playoffs or years back who was on title contention in those New Year’s Day games. I know I have a different opinion than most…but it doesn’t make me less a fan.

Beating the likes of tOSU goes hand in hand with making a bowl.  You do realize that?  Nah...you would rather go 1-11 with that one win coming against the Bucknuts?  That makes sense.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

So, we have won a regular season game 12 times v OSU, and 10 of the wins happened in the 60's or before.

We have won 10 times v. Michigan, and 8 in the 60's or earlier.

The likelihood of IU beating either or those teams is extremely slim. I would much rather get to a bowl game and play against an opponent we have a chance to beat. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

So, we have won a regular season game 12 times v OSU, and 10 of the wins happened in the 60's or before.

We have won 10 times v. Michigan, and 8 in the 60's or earlier.

The likelihood of IU beating either or those teams is extremely slim. I would much rather get to a bowl game and play against an opponent we have a chance to beat. 

Maybe I’m strange but beating Duke/equivalent in a bowl game to me falls somewhere between beating Rutgers and beating Purdue. It is no where close to beating Ohio St/Michigan/Penn St. To me those are program definining victories. I don’t look at bowl games with any weight unless it’s in the context of winning a championship. I know i may sound strange but im sure im not the only one who looks at it in this context.

17 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Maybe I’m strange but beating Duke/equivalent in a bowl game to me falls somewhere between beating Rutgers and beating Purdue. It is no where close to beating Ohio St/Michigan/Penn St. To me those are program definining victories. I don’t look at bowl games with any weight unless it’s in the context of winning a championship. I know i may sound strange but im sure im not the only one who looks at it in this context.

So let me get this straight, you would rather go 4-7 every year and maybe beat UM or PSU in 1-20 games. I would think fans would rather see us go 8-4 and go to a bowl game. I guess I just don't understand your logic on this one.

Also if you are waiting for IU to compete for a championship in football you will he waiting for ever.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, dgambill said:

No maybes about it.  You are strange.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I just can't wrap my mind around why you think the hardest schedule possible is going to benefit this program in any way.

Back in 2010/2011 when Nebraska was getting ready to join the league, there were discussions on our old scout.com board about what the divisions might look like. Someone proposed a division that had us in with OSU, Michigan and PSU (quite prophetic, actually). One of the site's most prominent posters felt that if that ever happened, it would be a death knell for this program, because there was very little chance we could compete with that year in and year out. 

We're going into our 10th and (thankfully) final season of being in the Big Ten East. In that time frame, we have zero wins against OSU, one against Michigan and one against PSU, and those two both occurred in the same year when everything got weird. Is our program better now than it was a decade ago? We just had zero players drafted and we're bringing in the worst recruiting class in the conference. Maybe playing those three teams got you excited and held your interest more than playing Minnesota or Illinois would have, but I think there's a lot more evidence suggesting this annual schedule stuffed our program in a trash can and left us wondering if it can ever be fixed. 

• Like 2

We've beaten those teams like a combined 5 times since 1987 lol 

This opinion is wild.

Furthermore, I'm burnt out on playing our conference teams. It's stale as shit. I'd much rather see us play anyone from out of conference. 

8 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

I just can't wrap my mind around why you think the hardest schedule possible is going to benefit this program in any way.

Back in 2010/2011 when Nebraska was getting ready to join the league, there were discussions on our old scout.com board about what the divisions might look like. Someone proposed a division that had us in with OSU, Michigan and PSU (quite prophetic, actually). One of the site's most prominent posters felt that if that ever happened, it would be a death knell for this program, because there was very little chance we could compete with that year in and year out. 

We're going into our 10th and (thankfully) final season of being in the Big Ten East. In that time frame, we have zero wins against OSU, one against Michigan and one against PSU, and those two both occurred in the same year when everything got weird. Is our program better now than it was a decade ago? We just had zero players drafted and we're bringing in the worst recruiting class in the conference. Maybe playing those three teams got you excited and held your interest more than playing Minnesota or Illinois would have, but I think there's a lot more evidence suggesting this annual schedule stuffed our program in a trash can and left us wondering if it can ever be fixed. 

Agree with your whole point, but.... "is our program better than it was 10 years ago?" 

Oh by a lot. Kevin Wilson made sure of that.  Now..  get us out of the East. 

59 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

So let me get this straight, you would rather go 4-7 every year and maybe beat UM or PSU in 1-20 games. I would think fans would rather see us go 8-4 and go to a bowl game. I guess I just don't understand your logic on this one.

Also if you are waiting for IU to compete for a championship in football you will he waiting for ever.

Yes I would rather go 4-7 against top competition then go 7-4 and not face UM, OSU, PSU….yes I’m saying that. First off I doubt we will go 7-4 regardless of who we play…but to me those games against the top competition are what I tune in for. 

46 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yes I would rather go 4-7 against top competition then go 7-4 and not face UM, OSU, PSU….yes I’m saying that. First off I doubt we will go 7-4 regardless of who we play…but to me those games against the top competition are what I tune in for. 

SMH, that is just ludicrous.  The last two years I went the OSU and last the UM game. At the first it was great to see those teams in person but that wore off very quickly when we got behind.  I tune in to watch my team play and couldn't care less who they were playing.  I watch every basketball game including teams like Texas Southern and do it with the same passion that I do watching us play UK

Edited by IU Scott

49 minutes ago, dgambill said:

giphy.gif

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

SMH, that is just ludicrous.  The last two years I went the OSU and last the UM game. At the first it was great to see those teams in person but that wore off very quickly when we got behind.  I tune in to watch my team play and couldn't care less who they were playing.  I watch every basketball game including teams like Texas Southern and do it with the same passion that I do watching us play UK

@dgambilljust watches the games where we get our asses kicked.  Makes total sense.

3 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

No offense but our program has always been in the trash can…what’s your point? If we are going to be bad we might as well play good teams. The only time like you said we’ve been ranked was beating said good teams. We can go 7-4 every year and never be ranked if none of those wins come against good competition. It’s fine my opinion isn’t popular I get it. Me personally I want to play them every year. It’s moot point now but that’s always been my opinion. Even if we weren’t winning if we very competitive against them I felt like it put our program in a positive light. Losing to those teams and our record is NOT what causes us to have a bad program and to not bring in good recruits. What makes us a bad program and miss out on recruits is poor coaching and development. You want good players you either coach them up or you make the good ones look good so they make it to the NFL. Don’t get me wrong…winning is important…but for these kids it’s not the only thing. A lot of top recruits go to losing programs…but as long as they see a path to the nfl and exposure…they are ok with it…especially if it means they aren’t stuck 5 deep behind guys on a premier roster. We are bad because we’ve run it poorly…not because we lost all our games to OSU and the likes.

38 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I watch every football/basketball game I can. Doesn’t matter competition…but if you are asking me if I would rather watch us play a MAC schedule just so we can win more games then no….I’d rather see us play the best and let the chips fall where they may. In basketball I’d rather play Kansas and Arizona and Xavier this past year and knowing full well we may lose then schedule the sisters of the poor so we can pad our record. I’m just going to give up. I’ve made my feelings known. I am happy for all our wins and I want us to win all our games but I don’t want to make the schedule easier just to win more games. I enjoy facing the best teams win or lose. Nobody would even care about the Wat-shot if it was against Texas Southern. It was special and will always be remembered because it was against a top ranked UK team. Those are the moments that I live for as an IU fan.

20 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I watch every football/basketball game I can. Doesn’t matter competition…but if you are asking me if I would rather watch us play a MAC schedule just so we can win more games then no….I’d rather see us play the best and let the chips fall where they may. In basketball I’d rather play Kansas and Arizona and Xavier this past year and knowing full well we may lose then schedule the sisters of the poor so we can pad our record. I’m just going to give up. I’ve made my feelings known. I am happy for all our wins and I want us to win all our games but I don’t want to make the schedule easier just to win more games. I enjoy facing the best teams win or lose. Nobody would even care about the Wat-shot if it was against Texas Southern. It was special and will always be remembered because it was against a top ranked UK team. Those are the moments that I live for as an IU fan.

I live to see my team win. Especially in football where there is never going to have a chance to win the championship then I want to us at least win 7-8 games.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I live to see my team win. Especially in football where there is never going to have a chance to win the championship then I want to us at least win 7-8 games.

I get that…but what happens when you can’t watch us play? I can barely even find IU games on tv unless it’s against the big premier teams. We aren’t playing on Fox against Northwestern…that is going to air on some random streaming app like Big+ or Fox+ etc…the only reason we have any prime time games is when we play those teams. I want to win! I really do…but if it means playing lesser competition just to do it….forget it. I guess you must be ticked off we got Notre Dame on the schedule in a few years. I mean that’s almost assuredly a loss…I guess you would rather us schedule Ball St instead. I don’t know why people think by wanting to play the best most prestigious football programs means we are going to lose or suck. Even winning 1/3 of those games and handling our business against the rest of our B1G opponents would almost assuredly get us a top 25 ranking. Our best chance to have a relevant program is for us to beat those teams like we did a couple years ago. If we aren’t having the multiple opportunities to win one it’s going to be tough to get any recognition. Thank goodness USC is coming to B1G it’s another one of those programs but man I hate giving up our old schedule. Not to mention the alumni down here in Florida I would get a chance to really give it to if we beat one of those programs.

Edited by dgambill

52 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

The most important part of going at least 6-6 and getting a bowl invitation is an extra month of practice. A player who spends four years at a school that annually plays in bowl games will end his career with an extra season of practice versus a player who never plays in a bowl game. 

For sure a bowl game is important for the team…practice..a reward for those kids hard work…no doubt about that!

5 hours ago, btownqb said:

We've beaten those teams like a combined 5 times since 1987 lol 

This opinion is wild.

Furthermore, I'm burnt out on playing our conference teams. It's stale as shit. I'd much rather see us play anyone from out of conference. 

So playing teams in the national championship picture is stale? It’s incredibly exciting for me to play Michigan and Ohio St who were both playoff teams. To each their own. I live on a street with multiple Ohio st, Michigan, Wisconsin,  and Iowa alumni on it. It’s literally B1G south down here in SWFL. Those games are incredibly relevant in my everyday conversations. I look forward to those games.

21 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I get that…but what happens when you can’t watch us play? I can barely even find IU games on tv unless it’s against the big premier teams. We aren’t playing on Fox against Northwestern…that is going to air on some random streaming app like Big+ or Fox+ etc…the only reason we have any prime time games is when we play those teams. I want to win! I really do…but if it means playing lesser competition just to do it….forget it. I guess you must be ticked off we got Notre Dame on the schedule in a few years. I mean that’s almost assuredly a loss…I guess you would rather us schedule Ball St instead. I don’t know why people think by wanting to play the best most prestigious football programs means we are going to lose or suck. Even winning 1/3 of those games and handling our business against the rest of our B1G opponents would almost assuredly get us a top 25 ranking. Our best chance to have a relevant program is for us to beat those teams like we did a couple years ago. If we aren’t having the multiple opportunities to win one it’s going to be tough to get any recognition. Thank goodness USC is coming to B1G it’s another one of those programs but man I hate giving up our old schedule. Not to mention the alumni down here in Florida I would get a chance to really give it to if we beat one of those programs.

Every game is on TV, BTN, Fox 1, ESPNU or the many other TV outlets

Also watching IU for 50 years we don't usually win 1/3 of the games against the top teams. I say 8/10 years we lose all 4 games vs OSU, PSU, UM and MSU so that is normally put you at a 0-4 record right off the bat. The only times I can remember beating OSU was two of their worst teams and their coach said it was the darkest day in OSU history.  The year we beat PSU and UM was one of their worst teams in a decade.

44 minutes ago, dgambill said:

With the B1G Network every one of our games is televised and not streamed.

• Thanks 1