NCAAF/National Scene

rico

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Time will tell for sure. He's got of recruits coming. No clue if that translates to wins.....but they had 2000 tops at their spring game last year. This year almost 50k. Season tickets all sold out. So far it's a win.

I absolutely believe he can be successful there but it’s not going to happen overnight. However, anointing his son QB1 before spring ball and making everything about him isn’t a good start. If they go 3-9 this season (incredibly likely) many of those season ticket accounts won’t be renewed. He would have been better served spending a couple years building a foundation before creating this circus day 1  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

Their spring game event was bizarre to watch. It was the most “fake it till ya make it” thing I’ve ever seen in major sports. Deion seems to think his instant success in the HBCU world will translate in the power 5 realm and he’s in for a rude awakening. I get humility is not his style but his inability to manage expectations is going to blow up in his face. 

Dan Patrick said something along the lines today that he didn't know how good of a coach Deion is going to be but he is a good promoter.

• Like 1

• rico changed the title to 2023 NCAAF/National Scene
24 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Don’t worry Boiler, I got this…He was falling way down the depth chart after a poor spring. Everyone saw this coming. He clearly doesn’t fit the new system…addition by subtraction. He’ll probably land at Toledo or Kent St. or wherever…

24 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Don’t worry Boiler, I got this…He was falling way down the depth chart after a poor spring. Everyone saw this coming. He clearly doesn’t fit the new system…addition by subtraction. He’ll probably land at Toledo or Kent St. or wherever…

Or he flunked out of school and was academically ineligible last year. Hasn’t played since 2021. 

2 hours ago, Hoosier82 said:

You forgot the part about how some incoming freshman was going to get his reps and he "saw the writing on the wall." lol

• Like 1

On 5/11/2023 at 1:51 PM, Seeking6 said:

Just saw this one. Bama plays 4 teams this year that are in top 13 odds for CFP. Georgia plays one team with a projected win total of 7.

SEC East looking pretty weak this year. Georgia will cruise for sure.

I don't think the SECE is ever weak, maybe not as strong as the west... 

B1GW is never as good as the SECE, imo, for example. 

Florida is the issue. Tennessee looks to be "back". 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

I don't think the SECE is ever weak, maybe not as strong as the west... 

B1GW is never as good as the SECE, imo, for example. 

Florida is the issue. Tennessee looks to be "back". 

Until Florida gets it figured out, Tennessee should be just below Georgia, and push them for the SECE title annually. B1GW isn't even in the same discussion as the SECE. They're more on par with the Big12 north or ACC schools north of Clemson. B1GW really needs Fickell to get it going again at Wisky for relevance. 

• Like 1

Lots of chatter at ACC meetings. Namely at least 7 schools looking to review their options and get out of the ACC and join SEC or Big 10 if the $ gap can't be closed.

Miami, Florida St, Clemson, Va Tech...few others.

As a Canes guy I'd love nothing more than them joining another conference. Some know it but plenty don't....in the 80's, 90's and honestly early 2000's there were high schools with better practice/training facilities. Wasn't until recently the academia leadership started opening up the purse strings for sports. 

Miami would fit the mold ala Northwestern and a couple of other schools in Big 10. Excellent private academic institution in a major city or major TV market.

On the football side of things people will say yep...bring Miami to the North in November and cold. I agree. I'd also say....bring the Northern teams to Miami in September. That heat/humidity is equally an advantage.

Fun times for sure.

13 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Lots of chatter at ACC meetings. Namely at least 7 schools looking to review their options and get out of the ACC and join SEC or Big 10 if the $ gap can't be closed.

As a Canes guy I'd love nothing more than them joining another conference. Some know it but plenty don't....in the 80's, 90's and honestly early 2000's there were high schools with better practice/training facilities. Wasn't until recently the academia leadership started opening up the purse strings for sports. 

Miami would fit the mold ala Northwestern and a couple of other schools in Big 10. Excellent private academic institution in a major city or major TV market.

On the football side of things people will say yep...bring Miami to the North in November and cold. I agree. I'd also say....bring the Northern teams to Miami in September. That heat/humidity is equally an advantage.

Fun times for sure.

I saw this a few days ago.  Fun times indeed.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/florida-state-clemson-among-seven-acc-schools-examining-grant-of-rights-agreement-per-reports/

• Like 1

On 5/13/2023 at 2:29 PM, Hoosierinbham said:

Until Florida gets it figured out, Tennessee should be just below Georgia, and push them for the SECE title annually. B1GW isn't even in the same discussion as the SECE. They're more on par with the Big12 north or ACC schools north of Clemson. B1GW really needs Fickell to get it going again at Wisky for relevance. 

Wisky should have a good record this year…have you seen their schedule? Cupcake city.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Fun times for sure.

I’d rather have Florida St. It’s a much bigger viewer base across the state. Not to mention they don’t have nearly the baggage of Miami.

Imo these schools are just trying to put pressure on the ACC to to do more of a tiered revenue sharing…since 3-4 schools bring in the majority of viewership and revenue. Why should a Wake Forest get the same revenue as a Clemson or Florida St. Either renegotiate or we will walk. The key to ACC long term viability will be ND though. If ND pulls out then they will really be hurting. I’ve heard NBC might not be renewing NDs tv deal at the 75 million or so they want. I could see ND go to say Amazon and do a streaming deal with them so they can stay independent.

11 hours ago, dgambill said:

I’d rather have Florida St. It’s a much bigger viewer base across the state. Not to mention they don’t have nearly the baggage of Miami.

Imo these schools are just trying to put pressure on the ACC to to do more of a tiered revenue sharing…since 3-4 schools bring in the majority of viewership and revenue. Why should a Wake Forest get the same revenue as a Clemson or Florida St. Either renegotiate or we will walk. The key to ACC long term viability will be ND though. If ND pulls out then they will really be hurting. I’ve heard NBC might not be renewing NDs tv deal at the 75 million or so they want. I could see ND go to say Amazon and do a streaming deal with them so they can stay independent.

The ACC just plain and simple signed a bad media deal.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rico said:

The ACC just plain and simple signed a bad media deal.

Yeah.  And it runs through 2036.  Just a terrible deal.  They would literally be better off to figure out how to scrape the coffers and pay the 120 million per team and break the deal up.  Espn fleeced them.  If a team could get into the sec or b1g, they would be able to make their money back in 2-3 years.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Yeah.  And it runs through 2036.  Just a terrible deal.  They would literally be better off to figure out how to scrape the coffers and pay the 120 million per team and break the deal up.  Espn fleeced them.  If a team could get into the sec or b1g, they would be able to make their money back in 2-3 years.  

It’s a bad deal for the upper half…but not the lower half of the conference. How do you convince Wake Forest, Duke, Boston College, Louisville, Syracuse, Pitt etc to give up the 30 million or so dollars when they likely won’t get near that since they won’t be picked up by the B1G/SEC. 

Also they still would not own their tv rights for home games. ESPN would still own those rights regardless if they pay the 120 million. It’s not 120 and you are free and clear. That 120 is to the other schools to leave…tv rights are separate issue. It’s more complicated than all that.

Edited by dgambill

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

It’s a bad deal for the upper half…but not the lower half of the conference. How do you convince Wake Forest, Duke, Boston College, Louisville, Syracuse, Pitt etc to give up the 30 million or so dollars when they likely won’t get near that since they won’t be picked up by the B1G/SEC. 

Irrelevant.  Same with IU and Northwestern.  We suck at football and are about to get paid 100 million a year annually just for being in the conference.  The ACC deal is just bad across the board.  If any of the teams can get into the SEC or B1G, they should.

I was curious where viewership ratings have everything.  B1G is really really really strong.  Wow.  https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

Miami Clemson was just over one million viewers.  Maryland OSU was over 6.  

• Like 2