NCAAF/National Scene

rico

3 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Irrelevant.  Same with IU and Northwestern.  We suck at football and are about to get paid 100 million a year annually just for being in the conference.  The ACC deal is just bad across the board.  If any of the teams can get into the SEC or B1G, they should.

I was curious where viewership ratings have everything.  B1G is really really really strong.  Wow.  https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

Miami Clemson was just over one million viewers.  Maryland OSU was over 6.  

What I’m saying is once the schools on the bottom half of ACC break the contract where do they get their next tv deal from?? It won’t be as much as they currently are getting that is for sure. The best hope is to hold together the conference and renegotiate with ESPN. However long shot unless the schools left make a huge payout from the ones leaving they aren’t incentivized to break up the conference. They can go to the B1G 12 but they will likely make less. Gotta say maybe the B1G 12 acted too quickly in bringing in Cincy and UCF. Would have been a more enticing tv deal with Miami, UL, Pitt, and GT for example.

Something will happen though. No way Florida St is going to watch UCF make more money then them.

7 minutes ago, dgambill said:

What I’m saying is once the schools on the bottom half of ACC break the contract where do they get their next tv deal from?? It won’t be as much as they currently are getting that is for sure. The best hope is to hold together the conference and renegotiate with ESPN. However long shot unless the schools left make a huge payout from the ones leaving they aren’t incentivized to break up the conference. They can go to the B1G 12 but they will likely make less. Gotta say maybe the B1G 12 acted too quickly in bringing in Cincy and UCF. Would have been a more enticing tv deal with Miami, UL, Pitt, and GT for example.

Something will happen though. No way Florida St is going to watch UCF make more money then them.

Yes, I'm saying figure out a way to force a renegotiation.  If not, the things blows up and becomes worth even less.  ESPN will care even less about the ACC without Clemson, FSU, and Miami football.  Who has the leverage though?  ESPN can say, go right ahead, Clemson, and join the SEC.  That's to their benefit.  But at the same time the ACC demise.  FSU has no real leverage do they?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Yes, I'm saying figure out a way to force a renegotiation.  If not, the things blows up and becomes worth even less.  ESPN will care even less about the ACC without Clemson, FSU, and Miami football.  Who has the leverage though?  ESPN can say, go right ahead, Clemson, and join the SEC.  That's to their benefit.  But at the same time the ACC demise.  FSU has no real leverage do they?

Well it matters to ESPN…question is how much. How valuable will those remaining ACC schools games be worth without Clemson and Florida St….and likely the ND crossovers. Would they get value out of showing NC state vs WF?? Holding it together grows value proposition for both sides….but yeah I’m not sure how badly they will care if they can pick up better content from SEC contract and games and I’m sure B1G will take some ESPN money if they want to be a part as well.

I think something changes…but those schools looking to leave might be careful…sure Clemson, Miami, NC, and FSU will find a home…but there is a tier in the middle that thinks there are greener pastures but find out they aren’t as in demand as they think. Like Oregon and Washington still waiting for a payday…the BIG and SEC might not feel like they can manage a mega conference…they get much bigger they will basically be eliminating the NCAA because they will be controlling such a huge portion of the revenue generating schools. A lot of problems arise growing the conference so big so fast. It ceases to be a traditional conference and more like it’s own subdivision.

Edited by dgambill

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

As always, F the Irish. 

Penn St is 9-5 against ND since 1981. 

Marginally better than the B1G!?  Yeah if you ignore the East and only look at the West.  That’s crazy.  The ACC might not even exist after their TV contract expires and that is because their football is way behind other leagues.  They lose Clemson and it’s sayonara.  It’s probably going to happen.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

8 game conference schedule for SEC. On one hand I think it's kind of weak. On the other hand they are essentially trying to to give every one of their teams an extra win so even the bottom of the barrel SEC teams can be bowl eligible.

Be nice to be in a bowl every year even with a bad conference record....sigh

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rico said:

Be nice to be in a bowl every year even with a bad conference record....sigh

My guess is they'll be changing their minds and going back to 9. Not that the Public Opinion matters much but found this stat. 

Teams playing at least 10 Power 5 opponents in 2023: Big Ten 13 of 14 Big 12: 11 of 14 Pac-12: 10 of 12 ACC: 10 of 15 SEC: 2 of 14

Look we all know the SEC is absolutely the best conference in football but all an 8 team conference schedule does is add a cupcake and make more teams bowl eligible. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

8 game conference schedule for SEC. On one hand I think it's kind of weak. On the other hand they are essentially trying to to give every one of their teams an extra win so even the bottom of the barrel SEC teams can be bowl eligible.

It is weak. Especially when you consider the timing, often late in the season,  for a gimme non-conference game. It's basically a bye/rest week. That gives their playoff teams a competitive advantage. Since IU doesn't have to worry about the playoffs,  the extra non-conference win would be great for our bowl chances.

• Like 1

Wasn't sure which thread this belongs but schedule release today at 430. Some early leaks for 2024. Looks USC minus Caleb Williams is going to get a big taste of Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Penn St.

Also looks like the USC and UCLA home games will be with teams from Big 10 that will travel. 

Michigan at USC Ohio State at UCLA Wisconsin at Michigan Iowa at USC UCLA at Michigan Wisconsin at USC Nebraska at UCLA Iowa at Ohio State USC at Penn State UCLA at Iowa

• Thanks 1

Guess everyone got their wish not to play Ohio St, Michigan, and Penn St annually….that’s a pretty depressing schedule if you ask me. Only reason to watch IU football is to see those games….who cares about playing Northerstern, Minnesota, Maryland etc. oh well

On 6/9/2023 at 8:30 AM, Steubenhoosier said:

I just don’t see ND going away from independent. They can get a lucrative tv deal even if they just go to Amazon or Apple streaming route alone. No doubt they don’t want to be caught off guard if there are massive changes in the landscape again such as the ACC breaking up…but if there is just more minor realignments I don’t see the point of them joining.

Edited by dgambill

On 6/8/2023 at 10:40 PM, dgambill said:

Guess everyone got their wish not to play Ohio St, Michigan, and Penn St annually….that’s a pretty depressing schedule if you ask me. Only reason to watch IU football is to see those games….who cares about playing Northerstern, Minnesota, Maryland etc. oh well

You have a very strange take on this. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

You have a very strange take on this. 

Probably. I don’t doubt that. Most people on here measure IU football in wins and losses…I fully understand IU football will never play for a national championship….so to me…it’s about creating memorable games…those happen against memorable opponents.

On 6/11/2023 at 12:23 PM, dgambill said:

Probably. I don’t doubt that. Most people on here measure IU football in wins and losses…I fully understand IU football will never play for a national championship….so to me…it’s about creating memorable games…those happen against memorable opponents.

Bowl games dude.  I measure in bowl games.

• Like 1